Tie necessary on formal night.

I understand that Alaskan cruises are more casual than others. We have one formal night. Does DH have to wear a tie? We both wear suits in our professional lives. It is nice for him to skip the tie. He always wears a jacket ( usually colorful linen- think Michael Portillo) but if he can avoid bringing a traditional suit I am sure he would be happier. It’s so much easier for women…..Thoughts?

No tie.  Until our last SB cruise, I would always take along my Tux with all the usual accessories.  But, we noticed that SB was getting less and less formal and being dressed in "black tie" put me in the minority.  On our last SB cruise, I simply took along a Blazer and wore it on formal nights with no tie.  Not a problem.  If pushed to put out statistics I would guess about 40% wore jackets without tie 40% wore jackets and tie, and about 20% were wearing a Tux.

Hank

• Like 1

Not the same as 15 years ago.  We saw people seated in jeans on NY eve when we went to Antarctica in '18.

Personally I find that disrespectful to those of us you abide by the rules, but is just me.

• Like 1

We are on the Quest right now.  A few nights ago on a formal night, I completely forgot the dress code and showed up at Solis in a coat with no tie.  I was welcomed and I noticed a couple of other guys there who were dressed the same as me.

25 minutes ago, tv24 said:

We are on the Quest right now.  A few nights ago on a formal night, I completely forgot the dress code and showed up at Solis in a coat with no tie.  I was welcomed and I noticed a couple of other guys there who were dressed the same as me.

Tie not required on a Seabourn "formal night".  You were following the "dress code" with a coat and presumably slacks (not jeans) per their website.

https://www.seabourn.com/en/us/packing-list

There seems to be a little bit of an internet misinformation campaign about ties.  There are people who will still say a tie is required either because they have dated information or want to encourage people to "dress up".  Not true per Seabourn's website.  

• Like 2

For years, we brought tuxedos and evening gowns. As time went by, we became more casual.  The world has changed. We stopped sailing on cruises that had formal nights. Packing became much easier.  It made traveling a pleasure. We realized that we could take less clothing.  We heard from guests that Seabourn has given up formal nights. When I read the postings, I am confused.  Does Seabourn have formal nights? If so, what do guests wear?  Ok wearing collared shirt with or without a jacket.  Women wear whatever and bet by.  Would never wear shorts, torn jeans, sweats, sneaks, etc.  on any ship at dinner. 

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

For years, we brought tuxedos and evening gowns. As time went by, we became more casual.  The world has changed. We stopped sailing on cruises that had formal nights. Packing became much easier.  It made traveling a pleasure. We realized that we could take less clothing.  We heard from guests that Seabourn has given up formal nights. When I read the postings, I am confused.  Does Seabourn have formal nights? If so, what do guests wear?  Ok wearing collared shirt with or without a jacket.  Women wear whatever and bet by.  Would never wear shorts, torn jeans, sweats, sneaks, etc.  on any ship at dinner. 

Use Seabourn's current definition of formal from their website not any previous definition you may have in your minds.  Their website says jacket, collared shirt, and slacks for men are OK for a formal night.  Evening gown or "other formal apparel" for women.  That's widely interpreted as a sparkly top with a black bottom.  Some men will wear a tux or suit but that is not required.  A tie is not required.

25 minutes ago, stan01 said:

Use Seabourn's current definition of formal from their website not any previous definition you may have in your minds.  Their website says jacket, collared shirt, and slacks for men are OK for a formal night.  Evening gown or "other formal apparel" for women.  That's widely interpreted as a sparkly top with a black bottom.  Some men will wear a tux or suit but that is not required.  A tie is not required.

in addition,  this only

applies to The  Restaurant.

Nancy  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Capri73 said:

I do not understand the issue with a tie. It is so easy to pack.

A girdle is easy to pack too, but I would never expect a woman to wear one.

Let's go with what Seabourn has defined.  No tie required for men.

Edited by stan01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 6/4/2024 at 8:56 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

Not the same as 15 years ago.  We saw people seated in jeans on NY eve when we went to Antarctica in '18.

Personally I find that disrespectful to those of us you abide by the rules, but is just me.

On our Seabourn cruise this past New Year’s Eve, men were not required to wear a jacket for dinner in The Main Dining Room.