Requested dinner reservations

Lojay2

If one chooses sharing, do you have to wait until all parties arrive before service begins? 

Also if someone orders 4 courses and I only want 3, would I have to wait for them to get through their eg Soup and Salad before I get my Main? 
I’m just trying to determine if worth doing sharing for an extra specialty reservation. 

2 weeks  to go for our first O cruise and we’re quite excited to try something different. Thank you. 

15 hours ago, Kay S said:

Can I come over? 😄  I can't reserve yet, but when I do, I will take what I can get.  Newbies here.

If you do, I'll put you to work. We changed cabins at the mid-point, our 20-night B2B. We doing it again in September in the Baltic on Sirena, in our 22-night B2B. Need help moving all the cans and bottles. Though I really had stocked up in Kotor, Montenegro at the local grocery store. Montenegrin beer and Serbian Vinjak. 😉

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, dock said:

If one chooses sharing, do you have to wait until all parties arrive before service begins? 

Also if someone orders 4 courses and I only want 3, would I have to wait for them to get through their eg Soup and Salad before I get my Main? 
I’m just trying to determine if worth doing sharing for an extra specialty reservation. 

2 weeks  to go for our first O cruise and we’re quite excited to try something different. Thank you. 

They rarely make sharing tables wait more than 10 minutes for all parties to arrive.

They do typically serve the various courses at the same time. So unless one specifically requests having their main delivered with someone’s salad, all mains will be delivered together.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dock said:

Yes as pinotlover says  they do serve various course at one time. However, we have had many shared tables with some people going through the card and others just having a couple of courses, but because you are with other people you tend to chat and don’t really notice the wait between courses. On the other hand if you are really unlucky, we never have been, and nobody speaks to each other the meal could drag!

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

Yes as pinotlover says  they do serve various course at one time. However, we have had many shared tables with some people going through the card and others just having a couple of courses, but because you are with other people you tend to chat and don’t really notice the wait between courses. On the other hand if you are really unlucky, we never have been, and nobody speaks to each other the meal could drag!

I've been in both situations. More frequently with nice conversation but a couple of misses. Once with a Mother and Daughter that any conversation was like pulling teeth, and then those that the conversation they wanted to have wasn't exactly what I would prefer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our last cruise we ate at Toscano with another couple.  Everyone ordered the same number of courses except for me, and I didn't order soup.  When the waiter brought out the soup, he looked at my empty spot and said he'd be happy to bring out soup for me and it would only take a couple of minutes.  I thought about it and realized that I would eat it and then not be hungry when the main course arrived, so I declined.  We chatted and had a good time and I never felt like I was wasting my time watching others eat.  

We were also on another cruise in Polo at a table for eight.  We were having a great time talking but the service was a little slow because one couple ordered just about everything on the menu.  I'm pretty sure they ordered every side dish that was available.  We finally got all the food and the other six ate a few bites and got up to leave in time to see the show.  Several dishes that had been ordered had not been touched.

We were left to finish our dinner and the waiter came over to apologize for the slow service.  He explained it's hard to keep up when people order so much.  We enjoyed the rest of our dinner by ourselves.  It wasn't a bad night and the people we met were very nice and we enjoyed their company while they were there.

All in all it was a nice dinner.  I just hated to think of all the food that ended up being thrown away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iowananny said:

On our last cruise we ate at Toscano with another couple.  Everyone ordered the same number of courses except for me, and I didn't order soup.  When the waiter brought out the soup, he looked at my empty spot and said he'd be happy to bring out soup for me and it would only take a couple of minutes.  I thought about it and realized that I would eat it and then not be hungry when the main course arrived, so I declined.  We chatted and had a good time and I never felt like I was wasting my time watching others eat.  

We were also on another cruise in Polo at a table for eight.  We were having a great time talking but the service was a little slow because one couple ordered just about everything on the menu.  I'm pretty sure they ordered every side dish that was available.  We finally got all the food and the other six ate a few bites and got up to leave in time to see the show.  Several dishes that had been ordered had not been touched.

We were left to finish our dinner and the waiter came over to apologize for the slow service.  He explained it's hard to keep up when people order so much.  We enjoyed the rest of our dinner by ourselves.  It wasn't a bad night and the people we met were very nice and we enjoyed their company while they were there.

All in all it was a nice dinner.  I just hated to think of all the food that ended up being thrown away.

Obviously just no manners!

4 minutes ago, ORV said:

I've been in both situations. More frequently with nice conversation but a couple of misses. Once with a Mother and Daughter that any conversation was like pulling teeth, and then those that the conversation they wanted to have wasn't exactly what I would prefer. 

I guess we’ve always been lucky although there have been a few conversations I would t have chosen!

We will be on Vista in November and first time on Oceania (coming from mainly Celebrity). We are traveling with two other couples (6 of us total) and all are Concierge class. Is there a way to coordinate the dinner reservations? We are outside our time to get reservations (60 days) so can't see what the options are on the website yet. Thanks!

My theory is to never talk politics unless someone brings something up and you find out their views are similar to yours.  You're never going to change someone's mind in a couple of hours on a cruise ship so don't even try.

But the worst are those who go on and on about how little they spent for the cruise and all their expenses.  To be honest we're going on a cruise next week and I couldn't tell you what we paid for it.  I know I could look it up but it's paid for and frankly it's no one else's business, The amazing thing is those who may be staying in an upper-class suite never brag.  We see little of the bragging about prices on O although it has occurred but when we were on Celebrity that was usually the first thing that was brought up.  It may have changed.

By the way to price for the kennel where our precious pooch stays while we are gone has gone up and up and up.  But we're willing to pay it so our princess can live the life of luxury while we're gone.  But we won't share that news at dinner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, baloo75 said:

We will be on Vista in November and first time on Oceania (coming from mainly Celebrity). We are traveling with two other couples (6 of us total) and all are Concierge class. Is there a way to coordinate the dinner reservations? We are outside our time to get reservations (60 days) so can't see what the options are on the website yet. Thanks!

You aren't outside your time, I think yopur time gors up until 7 days before you sail. You can ask to dine with another booked party too. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, iowananny said:

... But the worst are those who go on and on about how little they spent for the cruise and all their expenses.  To be honest we're going on a cruise next week and I couldn't tell you what we paid for it.  I know I could look it up but it's paid for and frankly it's no one else's business, The amazing thing is those who may be staying in an upper-class suite never brag.  We see little of the bragging about prices on O although it has occurred but when we were on Celebrity that was usually the first thing that was brought up....

Though you might read the active thread about spending hundreds of dollars for a wine and food pairing on Vista at Ember? Or the endless discussions on why people should spend additional money for the upgraded drink package? See the cost-benefit analysis offered as to how much you need to drink daily to make it "worth it". Or those discussing spending hundreds for La Reserve or some other very expensive additional dining? Or expensive [insert type hard liquor or cocktail here]? Or those extolling how many times they got to eat in the specialty restaurants at primo times during their cruise?

Methinks you're just being very selective in regard to what people "brag about" and how people in expensive cabins levels can "brag" about their cruise experience. 

So for me, the worst is probably...day drinkers at the pool bar, around the pool and in Waves. Bragging about how much they drink or what expensive drink they are drinking.

9 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

So for me, the worst is probably...day drinkers at the pool bar, around the pool and in Waves. Bragging about how much they drink or what expensive drink they are drinking.

But then you don’t have to sit through a meal with them and you could always just move away!

• Like 2

Asking other's opinions about a certain offering onboard Oceania, is not bragging but seeking information if that offering is something they might be interested in....as indicated in the thread about the wine pairing lunch n Embers, it is a new offering that people are interested in and seeking information.  The people replying are answering their questions not bragging about how special they are for deciding to spend their $$$ for the lunch.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, basor said:

... not bragging about how special they are for deciding to spend their $$$ for the lunch.  

Though that would be $xxx.xx for the lunch. Additional money spent. Not sure if it isn't actually $xxx.xx times 2 for the couple.

Obviously you interpret what people say differently when it comes to things like, "Oh you should've been at La Reserve last night with the X course [expensive] meal. Can't wait for the [expensive] wine and food pairing today. And the Founder's Bar tonight for the [expensive] cocktails. And...."

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

... and you could always just move away!

Not if I want to keep the lounger I'm on by the pool, that I had to work so hard to get and keep. Since O reportedly won't enforce its own rules on "reserving" loungers. 😉 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MEFIowa said:

Though that would be $xxx.xx for the lunch. Additional money spent. Not sure if it isn't actually $xxx.xx times 2 for the couple.

Obviously you interpret what people say differently when it comes to things like, "Oh you should've been at La Reserve last night with the X course [expensive] meal. Can't wait for the [expensive] wine and food pairing today. And the Founder's Bar tonight for the [expensive] cocktails. And...."

You are correct, I definitely have a different approach to reading people's comments from you.  Please show us where the above quotes have been made by people or that is your interpretation of what they said?  I am reading CC to learn as much as possible about other's experiences and not to dismiss their experiences as ridiculous because they do not align with my approach to a cruise.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, basor said:

You are correct, I definitely have a different approach to reading people's comments from you.  Please show us where the above quotes have been made by people or that is your interpretation of what they said?  I am reading CC to learn as much as possible about other's experiences and not to dismiss their experiences as ridiculous because they do not align with my approach to a cruise.

I've spent 40 nights on O ships since 12/2021. And heard all sorts of things from various passengers. Whether in G or D cabins or PH and above. You'd be surprised what people discuss when it comes to spending money on cruises. Including gambling.

There are many ways one can "brag" and think "I'm not really bragging."

Certainly when it comes to spending lots of money for additional expenses on board. My wife, a smoker, befriended someone on one cruise staying in an expensive suite (and they'd paid for other family member's, too). Seemed like every day he'd regale her about some expensive something he did the day before or was doing that day or the next day. Remember he waved to us from La Reserve one night as we walked by. I can only imagine how much additional $$$$ he'd spent. More than our A4 cabin.

And I'm a bit tired of the "you should have the upgraded drinks package so you can drink all day long". When that happens, I'm like, "You spent $X for that drink package on this cruise. Our cabin was $Y. You spent ZZ% of our cabin cost on drinks." 

It's all pretty simple.  Someone asked for the price of the Wine Experience lunch.  I gave out the information.  My husband put on the menu we had.  We both agreed that we really enjoyed the meal and to us it was worth the money.  I don't think we ever mentioned it to anyone else on the next eight days on our cruise.  It was pure and simple information.

I never, ever know what someone else is drinking on a cruise unless I'm sitting by them when they order.  Some people asked if the Prestige Package was worth it and people gave their opinion.  I don't see that as bragging.  I have yet to see anyone who is bragging about how much they have drunk during a certain day or what kind of liquor they have in their drink, I like the Prestige Package because I prefer how good can I drink; not how much can I drink.  

This is a board where everyone has an opinion.  They are just asking for information to make sure they have the best cruise experience.

• Like 9

Interesting,  we have spent over a 100 nights onboard all 7 of the O ships and never encountered the bragging that is indicted...I guess we either are not hanging out with the "right" people or engaging in conversations that elicit these comments.....we also do not "brag" about how much we have "saved" by doing this or that and put down others that do not do the same.  The middle of the road makes for lovely conversations....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, dock said:

We shared a table at Jacques one evening. Nice couple to chat and dine with but we ate at our own pace. So IMO no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, basor said:

Please show us where the above quotes have been made by people or that is your interpretation of what they said? 

My question, too. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, iowananny said:

... I have yet to see anyone who is bragging about how much they have drunk during a certain day or what kind of liquor they have in their drink, I like the Prestige Package because I prefer how good can I drink; not how much can I drink....

Then you're not reading various O threads here carefully that discuss what people are saying about how often or how much they can drink with the package OR what they are drinking with that package. How, for example, they'll get "better" vodka or scotch or whatever. And use this as their "selling point" to encourage others to get said package.

33 minutes ago, iowananny said:

... I never, ever know what someone else is drinking on a cruise unless I'm sitting by them when they order.  Some people asked if the Prestige Package was worth it and people gave their opinion.  I don't see that as bragging.  I have yet to see anyone who is bragging about how much they have drunk during a certain day or what kind of liquor they have in their drink, I like the Prestige Package because I prefer how good can I drink; not how much can I drink....

THIS is what YOU wrote on Wednesday this week at 1:39 PM on a different thread:

"I agree that you don't have to drink that much to get your money's worth from the Prestige Package.  I like premium tequilas and rarely drink them at home.  I'm not on a cruise to drink rock gut liquor.  I want the good stuff.  The Prestige Package is a good way to get it at what I consider a reasonable price." (emphasis added)

1 hour ago, Cruising Maryland said:

You aren't outside your time, I think yopur time gors up until 7 days before you sail. You can ask to dine with another booked party too. 

if I’m correct in Basors meaning, they are outside the time to arrange dinners. I think they said 60 days before cruise is the timing for their reservations. 

• Like 3