Wine 🍷 price variations ?

Why do wine prices vary on the fleet?

It’s  irritating that I could get Whispering Angel by the glass ( so within our daily $$ limit) whilst on Brilliance out of Sydney in January and on Oasis transatlantic from Miami last month; but on Anthem from England - where the daily $$ is actually higher) a glass of WA is still out of budget?!  

Also sometimes WA appears on the MDR menu as available by the glass: and sometimes in on the MDR menu as by the bottle only 🤷‍♀️ why?!

Another question: has anyone been successful in using vouchers to buy a bottle of wine ? If so, how many? 

thanks 🙏 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Missusdubbya said:

Yes, one voucher for 40% off a bottle

But how many vouchers to get the bottle for free? I’m thinking 5 glasses in a bottle so 5 vouchers for a bottle?  Anyone successful in negotiations recently?! 

Edited by little britain

31 minutes ago, little britain said:

But how many vouchers to get the bottle for free? I’m thinking 5 glasses in a bottle so 5 vouchers for a bottle?  Anyone successful in negotiations recently?! 

Hello,

My maths says 2.5 vouchers as 2.5 * 40 = 100.

But then pigs might also fly.

Regards,

Cublet

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@little britain it is not a negotiation. The vouchers are valued at 20% off wine bottles valued in excess of $100, and 40% off wine bottles valued at less than $100.  I see no limitations on use with one voucher per purchase. 

From the T's & C's from the C & A benefit descriptions:

6_Each day of the cruise, Diamond members receive four (4) complimentary drink vouchers, Diamond Plus members receive five (5) complimentary drink vouchers, and Pinnacle Club members receive six (6) complimentary vouchers up to $14 in value ($13 on Singapore sailings and $15 on Australia sailings). These vouchers can be used at any time and at any bar onboard or onshore at our private destinations. Drink vouchers may also be used toward a discount off the purchase of any bottle of wine — 20% off bottles over $100 and 40% off bottles under $100. Every time a drink voucher is redeemed, a zero-dollar ($0) receipt will be provided and must be signed. Youth members will receive the same daily allotment of complimentary vouchers as their parents of the same tier and may be used toward the purchase of non-alcoholic beverages (including mocktails). All drink vouchers reset daily at 5:00am and are redeemable until 4:59am the next day. Excludes Starbucks, Bionic Bar, and Desserted Milkshake Bar.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I would imagine the variation in prices has to do with the cost associated with suppliers in differing countries. 

That would make sense as the vouchers have different values (as indicated in the T's & C's) by certain countries.

6 hours ago, little britain said:

Why do wine prices vary on the fleet?

It’s  irritating that I could get Whispering Angel by the glass ( so within our daily $$ limit) whilst on Brilliance out of Sydney in January and on Oasis transatlantic from Miami last month; but on Anthem from England - where the daily $$ is actually higher) a glass of WA is still out of budget?!  

Also sometimes WA appears on the MDR menu as available by the glass: and sometimes in on the MDR menu as by the bottle only 🤷‍♀️ why?!

Another question: has anyone been successful in using vouchers to buy a bottle of wine ? If so, how many? 

thanks 🙏 

At the return to sailing some ships allowed five vouchers for a bottle of wine but I haven’t seen that in a while. 
m

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I would imagine the variation in prices has to do with the cost associated with suppliers in differing countries. 

So getting a bottle of Whispering Angel which is made in France across the Channel to England is somehow more costly than getting the same bottle to a ship in Sydney or Miami??!

Edited by little britain
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

@little britain it is not a negotiation. The vouchers are valued at 20% off wine bottles valued in excess of $100, and 40% off wine bottles valued at less than $100.  I see no limitations on use with one voucher per purchase. 

From the T's & C's from the C & A benefit descriptions:

6_Each day of the cruise, Diamond members receive four (4) complimentary drink vouchers, Diamond Plus members receive five (5) complimentary drink vouchers, and Pinnacle Club members receive six (6) complimentary vouchers up to $14 in value ($13 on Singapore sailings and $15 on Australia sailings). These vouchers can be used at any time and at any bar onboard or onshore at our private destinations. Drink vouchers may also be used toward a discount off the purchase of any bottle of wine — 20% off bottles over $100 and 40% off bottles under $100. Every time a drink voucher is redeemed, a zero-dollar ($0) receipt will be provided and must be signed. Youth members will receive the same daily allotment of complimentary vouchers as their parents of the same tier and may be used toward the purchase of non-alcoholic beverages (including mocktails). All drink vouchers reset daily at 5:00am and are redeemable until 4:59am the next day. Excludes Starbucks, Bionic Bar, and Desserted Milkshake Bar.

Two scenarios:

Barman please pour me 5 glasses of wine and please use 5 vouchers.

versus

Barman please give me the bottle of wine and please use 5 vouchers.

Its easier, it saves me going to the bar 5 times, it is less work for them as it is only one transaction, which leaves them more time to serve others, and it is less washing up as only one glass is used not 5!!!  

Edited by little britain

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, little britain said:

Two scenarios:

Barman please pour me 5 glasses of wine and please use 5 vouchers.

versus

Barman please give me the bottle of wine and please use 5 vouchers.

Its easier, it saves me going to the bar 5 times, it is less work for them as it is only one transaction, which leaves them more time to serve others, and it is less washing up as only one glass is used not 5!!!  

Sorry, I don't get it. As I said it is not a negotiation. If five are not necessary, why expect the bartender to take them? They are of no value to them and likely they won't take them as they each have to be credited with a transacted beverage. You can just leave them on your card and they will expire every day if not used - they do not accumulate.

They are also valid for other beverages as well, not just your wine, and if you don't use them all during the day, you can cash them in at the end of the night for unopened canned or bottled beverages (beer, Truly, soda, water, etc.) and take them back to your stateroom for another time.  They also can be used on others traveling with you, such as a spouse.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Sorry, I don't get it. As I said it is not a negotiation. If five are not necessary, why expect the bartender to take them? They are of no value to them and likely they won't take them as they each have to be credited with a transacted beverage. You can just leave them on your card and they will expire every day if not used - they do not accumulate.

They are also valid for other beverages as well, not just your wine, and if you don't use them all during the day, you can cash them in at the end of the night for unopened canned or bottled beverages (beer, Truly, soda, water, etc.) and take them back to your stateroom for another time.  They also can be used on others traveling with you, such as a spouse.  

No, you are not getting it!

1 hour ago, little britain said:

So getting a bottle of Whispering Angel which is made in France across the Channel to England is somehow more costly than getting the same bottle to a ship in Sydney or Miami??!

Without question the costs are different. How that translates to onboard pricing; I can not speak to 

6 hours ago, little britain said:

A standard/medium glass of wine is 175ml,

which means you'l get just over 4 175ml

glasses in total from a standard bottle of wine

(or 4.3 to be exact!). lf your servings are large

with 250m per glass, youll get three glasses

per bottle. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, little britain said:

No, you are not getting it!

It is not an argument. But I think a key point you may be overlooking is that the vouchers are not exchanged for a bottle of wine, they are for a discount on a bottle of wine.  Unlike using vouchers for a single glass, you are still paying for the bottle of wine with the voucher - it is not free based on voucher exchange. One voucher equals a discount on one bottle of wine. That is the program and why it is not a negotiation. They will not take multiple vouchers in exchange for a bottle at no charge.

Per the information I originally posted, a single bottle of wine priced under $100 is at a 40% discount when using a single voucher, and a single bottle of wine over $100 is at a 20% discount when using a single voucher. That is why multiple coupons per bottle would not be necessary or even able to be used.

33 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It is not an argument. But I think a key point you may be overlooking is that the vouchers are not exchanged for a bottle of wine, they are for a discount on a bottle of wine.  Unlike using vouchers for a single glass, you are still paying for the bottle of wine with the voucher - it is not free based on voucher exchange. One voucher equals a discount on one bottle of wine. That is the program and why it is not a negotiation. They will not take multiple vouchers in exchange for a bottle at no charge.

Per the information I originally posted, a single bottle of wine priced under $100 is at a 40% discount when using a single voucher, and a single bottle of wine over $100 is at a 20% discount when using a single voucher. That is why multiple coupons per bottle would not be necessary or even able to be used.

But people have in the past exchanged vouchers for wine. I have seen it with my own eyes.

I was wondering whether this was just an amenable barman or whether it is becoming more frequent practice.

It seems stupid to get them to pour 5 glasses ( 4.3 glasses or 3 glasses if you’re using English 250ml measures) when they could just give the bottle instead. I am very happy to hand over the requisite number of vouchers. I do not need to pay any money. 

8 minutes ago, little britain said:

But people have in the past exchanged vouchers for wine. I have seen it with my own eyes.

I was wondering whether this was just an amenable barman or whether it is becoming more frequent practice.

It seems stupid to get them to pour 5 glasses ( 4.3 glasses or 3 glasses if you’re using English 250ml measures) when they could just give the bottle instead. I am very happy to hand over the requisite number of vouchers. I do not need to pay any money. 

Well that would be new to me that a bartender would accept multiple vouchers in exchange for a bottle of wine at n/c.  And, yes, that likely was just an amenable barman.  But that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  That's just not how the program is defined.

They are giving you glasses of wine (or any other beverage) via the vouchers at n/c - that is the benefit you've earned.  And there is no requisite number of vouchers in exchange for a free bottle as the program is for you to purchase the bottle of wine, albeit at a discount, from which they are still making out. But free bottles of wine isn't the program. Whether or not that makes sense to you, that's how it is.

But either way, good luck to you and your future negotiations.  I will continue with my five free drinks of my choosing daily.  Don't drink wine anyway.

Just got off Explorer Ta and a bottle of Whispering Angel was 5 vouchers.

That was from the pub and friends got it a good few nights without a problem.

Worth it for a $5 tip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, bigeck said:

Just got off Explorer Ta and a bottle of Whispering Angel was 5 vouchers.

That was from the pub and friends got it a good few nights without a problem.

Worth it for a $5 tip

Maybe this is the way it will be.  If sot that is a good thing for wine drinkers!  Wonder what I would have to give up for a bottle of Gray Goose - LOL.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Maybe this is the way it will be.  If sot that is a good thing for wine drinkers!  Wonder what I would have to give up for a bottle of Gray Goose - LOL.

I don't drink wine either.

28 measures per bottle depending on size, so about 6 days worth

• Haha 1