MSC Seashore review (non YC)

dsain

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

dsain was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Hello all!  We just got back from a week on the beautiful MSC Seashore.  I am a regular Carnival cruiser (Platinum) and wanted to give MSC a try.  We are a family of 4 (kids 11 and 13) and we had 2 inside Fantastica experience cabins.  This was a 7 day sailing with an overnight in Ocean Cay, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.  I’ll go into more details about our experience, but for those who want the short and sweet of it…we will absolutely sail with MSC again!  We are very laid back cruisers who try to just go with the flow.  We go into a cruise with realistic expectations and generally never leave disappointed.  There were many in our specific cruise dates social media group who said they’d never sail MSC again, so keep in mind everyone has different experiences.  I will try to give a day by day, but also throw in some general observations along the way. Now for my more in depth thoughts….

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Embarkation Day

We drove from North Carolina and spent the night in Titusville the evening before the cruise.  On cruise day we parked at an offsite parking site and took their shuttle to the port.  We arrived to the port around 11:00 and practically walked right on.  MSC definitely wins on embarkation process.  We were directed to go to our cabin to drop carry ons off and pick up our keys.  Unfortunately,
once we did that MSC lost major points for us.  Other cruise lines have the lunch buffet up and running to try to help spread the flow.  MSC doesn’t open their buffet until noon and on our day it didn’t open until closer to 1:00.  Total nightmare!  I had read about the buffet lines and definitely agree they have a problem with their layout.  At busy times the lines merge together so you will be in one long line, then look up and notice the line ahead for pizza is no longer there and realize it was a separate line.  

After the chaotic bar and food lines we wandered the ship.  The Seashore is gorgeous!  There are so many photo spots if that’s your thing.  Lots of places to sit and hang out.  The Pirate Cove water area is great and shady so you don’t have to chase down your kids to reapply sunscreen.  My boys enjoyed the basketball court, foosball, and table tennis.  The upkeep of the ship is impressive.  Never spotted a patch of rust and things were always clean.

I had read the horror stories about the safety drill.  Again, not sure if it is about managing expectations and attitude or we just got lucky, but we didn’t find it terrible at all.  Watched the video, dialed the number, waited until our floor was called to go scan our cards.  We also took the stairs and didn’t attempt an elevator so that may have helped.

Before we knew it, it was time to shower and get ready for dinner.  We had the 7:15 seating.  We generally get “dressed up” for dinner wearing sundresses and khaki shorts and a polo on non formal nights.  We noticed most cruisers in MSC dressed the same and it felt a little more upscale, but not stuffy.  We found the food to be good.  I had read so many comments about bland food so went in prepared, but MSC has been listening to feedback and we enjoyed our meals all week.  I will say food temperature still seems to be an issue with only a few meals coming out hot during the week.  Most of the time things were served warm.  I also recommend ordering beef one notch less than your usual (I learned to order rare instead of medium rare after 2 overcooked beef dishes).  I took advice from other reviewers and steered away from dishes I didn’t think they could do well and tried to order more fish, pasta, steak dishes instead of attempting American dishes like meatloaf.

After dinner we had drinks at Brooklyn Cafe.  This was our favorite hang out spot.  The servers knew us after night 1.  They offer table service, have live music, and the seating is comfortable.

We were exhausted after a busy embarkation day so headed to bed early to be ready for our day in Ocean Cay.

Up next: ocean cay!
  • Like 6

Ocean Cay

We found the bedding to be comfortable and had a great nights sleep.  We woke up and headed to Brooklyn Cafe for our morning cappuccino.  They also have pastries in the morning so we always had a chocolate croissant while we waited for our kids to wake up.  Once our kids were up we ate a quick breakfast at the buffet so we could get out to the island.  Again, I am a researcher so had read enough to know we wanted to head to Bimini beach.  We rented an umbrella right by the beach (didn’t pre book so we could just get it there and not have to haul it) as the shady trees were already taken.  There are plenty of free lounge chairs.  There was a bar and 2 of the food trucks there.  We absolutely loved this spot.  The water was calm and gorgeous and everything we needed was right there without having to walk.  The sand and entry into the water is rocky (seashelly is probably more accurate), but not enough that we felt the need for water shoes.  Once we passed the initial entry all was smooth.  The food truck line was only about 10 deep when we went to get lunch and it moved quickly.  The food was very hot and hit the spot.  We spent the whole day just relaxing in the calm clear waters.

We went back to the ship early afternoon for a quick shower and nap before dinner.  Dinner averaged around an hour to an hour and 15 minutes each night.  After dinner we headed back out to Lighthouse beach for the beach party and lighthouse show.  There were two shows and they were different, so worth checking out both.  One of our complaints on this cruise was the music selection.  We felt it was way too much Latin music.  The beach party is where we first took notice of it as every song was a Latin song which didn’t entice us onto the dance floor.  They also have a live duo that only sings Latin.  The pool music on the pool deck wasn’t Latin, but was odd versions of songs you know.  We had fun at the beach party and stayed until well after the second light show before heading in for the night.

Up next: Ocean Cay Day 2
  • Like 7

Ocean Cay Day 2

When we booked, our itinerary had us leaving ocean cay at noon.  A few months later it changed to leaving at 4pm.  We were thrilled to have another full day…until we boarded the ship and they changed it back to noon.  Those who booked after us booked with an expectation of all day so were understandably upset about the change.  We went to the dining room for breakfast today.  Service was quick and everything was good.  The buffet was never chaotic after embarkation day, but we will always choose sit down over buffet if we are given the option.  We headed back out to ocean cay for our half day.  First we tried lighthouse beach, but our kids said the water wasn’t as clear and was rougher.  Next we headed over to the lagoon.  A ton of jellyfish were there so we settled back at our favorite Bimini beach.  We stayed until eleven and hustled back to the ship for noon departure.  We missed sail away, but several people in our cruise group spotted dolphins jumping along with us as we left ocean cay.  They opened the dining room for a special lunch to help alleviate everyone hitting the buffet at the same time.  It was an Italian theme menu and was so good!  We had a little hiccup with a rude waiter.  My 11 year old wanted a pasta dish that included pasta with vodka sauce.  The waiter was refusing because it was vodka sauce and he was a kid.  Even the table next to us was trying to explain it cooks off and doesn’t actually contain vodka.  We finally had to ask for the maitre d’ to get it sorted.  This was really our only rude staff member we encountered the whole week.  Once that was settled all was good.  I had a pasta with pesto sauce that I am still dreaming about.  It was so good!!!!

We spent the rest of the day relaxing and playing cards in our Brooklyn cafe spot until dinner.  After dinner we liked sitting near the atrium for evening drinks.

Next up: sea days, costa maya, and Cozumel
  • Like 5

Sea Days, Costa Maya, Cozumel

We have done these ports many times so generally treat them like sea days.  We get off for a quick wander around the port and head back to the ship.  We like to take advantage of finding seats by the pool (yep, chair hogs are no different on MSC than other cruise lines or resorts) and the kids like to do the slides when there are no lines.  On the actual sea days we usually just wander the ship, play cards, read books…basically do anything but fight the crowds by the pools.  We took advantage of the Sea Day brunch in the dining room both sea days.  The menu had a good variety for our tastes and service was good.  On the port days we ate breakfasts in the dining room and the buffet for lunch.  We all agreed the MSC buffet puts the Carnival buffet to shame.  The food is good and if you pick the right line always tasted fresh.  While we did miss our usual Guys burgers, Shaqs chicken, and blue iguana tacos we really liked the overall buffet.  And yes, MSC pizza is delicious!

Outside of that, we spent our evenings the same every day.  Pre dinner drinks in Brooklyn cafe and post dinner hang out and drinks listening to live music and people watching around the atrium area near Shine bar.

Next up: Disembarking and other random ramblings
  • Like 5

Disembarkation 

MSC asks you to be out of your cabin by 7:00.  This is an hour earlier than Carnival (if I am remembering correctly) and really does impact your day if you are not self carrying your luggage.  We put our luggage out the night before and as luck would have it got one of the latest numbers to leave.  Being out of your cabin by 7 paired with a late time made for a miserable morning of just sitting around.  We regret this and wish we had just hauled our huge bags down 4 flights of stairs.  We ate breakfast in the dining room since we had lots of time and then hung out in Le Caberet Rouge until our number was called.  They were running about 20 minutes behind so we didn’t get off the ship until 10:15ish.  This is the latest we’ve ever been called off the ship and it was a terrible way to end the trip when you know you have an 8+ hour drive ahead of you.  I highly recommend self debarking if you are able.

Random Thoughts

A few random things I may have missed saying.  The cabin size was fine with us except the showers.  Holy smokes they are small.  I am a very average sized woman (5’5” 160ish pounds) and could barely get myself into that tiny space.  Not sure how anybody larger (including my husband) did it.  The Ice cream situation was not ideal.  They do have it available at the dessert stations in the buffet, but I always wanted a cone in off hours for a snack and it was never available when I wanted it.  I had one cone the entire week which is tragic in my mind.  The bar that serves the soft serve will only serve to the minors package holders.  So dumb when an easy plus package costs more but can’t be given a cone there.  Speaking of easy plus package, we had no issues!  The bars always made sure what we wanted was included for us.  As far as friendliness of staff, it definitely needs tuning.  While we only ever had one flat out rude encounter, it wasn’t the friendly staff we are used to.  We loved our Brooklyn cafe server, but outside of him nobody ever made an effort to make any connections.  Our dinner waitress would see us at open seating breakfast or brunch and didn’t make any effort to even say hi when on Carnival they would come over and say hello to us by name.  Again, not bad service, just not what we are accustomed to.

Overall, we had a great time!  Were there hiccups?  Sure, but what cruise line doesn’t have some along the way.  For the price, we wouldn’t hesitate to book again.  It was also nice to change things up from our normal.  Finding new places, getting lost, discovering new menus was all part of the fun for us this cruise.

Let me know if you have any questions!  I will come back and add if I think of something I forgot.  The boards definitely helped me and I wanted to give back.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yes, thank you for the review!

We are also on the Seashore for the first time in October with grandkids so really looking forward to the inside jungle pool and Ocean Cay!

16 minutes ago, mcmomny said:

Yes, thank you for the review!

We are also on the Seashore for the first time in October with grandkids so really looking forward to the inside jungle pool and Ocean Cay!

A small warning about the inside jungle pool.  It is extremely humid in there.  That is where the foosball and table tennis were located and I could only tolerate a small period of time in there because it was so uncomfortable.  If you are swimming, that is obviously not an issue.

• Thanks 1

I was on this sailing.  I agree the embarkation buffet timing is puzzling especially since unlike Carnival it is the only game in town.  They way they do it creates chaos and I shake my head every time.  Instead of passengers filing through as they board they hold off opening and there is a mad rush from thousands of passengers who are waiting when it opens.  Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, dsain said:

A small warning about the inside jungle pool.  It is extremely humid in there.  That is where the foosball and table tennis were located and I could only tolerate a small period of time in there because it was so uncomfortable.  If you are swimming, that is obviously not an issue.

The humidity isn't as bad when the retractable roof is open but even then, it can still be pretty humid in there.

• Thanks 1

I agree with you on too much Latin music!   We had the same problem on my last cruise.  They had good music from the 60's and 70's out by the pool and then they ruined the afternoon with that salsa music!  Leave that for the cruises going out of Miami!

Posted (edited)

Thank you for this review. We are coming from NC too!!! We have traveled both RCI and Carnival. However due to the price of MSC and the ports, we are booking our next cruise for our family of 5 with MCS from port Canaveral. A little nervous but your review set some of my mind at ease.

I have a few questions if you do not mind:

1) can you order water, wine, alcohol or sodas to your stateroom (is there even a mini fridge?) we love having some snacks and waters handy in our room.

2) how much were the cappuccino drinks? My husband does shots of espresso so he would be looking for that cost.

3) did you kids use the kids clubs? Did they like them. We have a 15,13 and 10 year old.

4) can you really not bring a hair straightener (I read this elsewhere) and are the outlets euro outlets or American? 

Edited by thepants
Misspelled

2 hours ago, thepants said:

Thank you for this review. We are coming from NC too!!! We have traveled both RCI and Carnival. However due to the price of MSC and the ports, we are booking our next cruise for our family of 5 with MCS from port Canaveral. A little nervous but your review set some of my mind at ease.

I have a few questions if you do not mind:

1) can you order water, wine, alcohol or sodas to your stateroom (is there even a mini fridge?) we love having some snacks and waters handy in our room.

2) how much were the cappuccino drinks? My husband does shots of espresso so he would be looking for that cost.

3) did you kids use the kids clubs? Did they like them. We have a 15,13 and 10 year old.

4) can you really not bring a hair straightener (I read this elsewhere) and are the outlets euro outlets or American? 

Hi, 

1- you can ask staff to have empty your minibar.... so you will have a small frigde in your cabin

2- Included with any Drinks pack

4- All cabins have two American outlets, two European outlets and two USB outlets

5 hours ago, thepants said:

The mini fridge has beer, water and soft drinks, for wine it is best to help yourself, that means bring unfinished bottles from dinner to the room.

5 hours ago, thepants said:

Espresso is cheap (around 2 USD), cappuccino is expensive (around 4 USD). 

3 hours ago, alserrod said:

Hi, 

1- you can ask staff to have empty your minibar.... so you will have a small frigde in your cabin

2- Included with any Drinks pack

4- All cabins have two American outlets, two European outlets and two USB outlets

Thank you. 

I will research the drink package options. However, we typically do not purchase drink packages of any kind. We are not very big drinkers (maybe a drink a day), we do not drink sodas at all, and just have a cup or two of coffee or a shot of espresso. So on all of our cruises we skip packages and purchase a la carte and save a lot of money that way. Hence my question on cost of coffee/espresso. I will still research them to make sure. 

1 hour ago, thepants said:

Thank you. 

I will research the drink package options. However, we typically do not purchase drink packages of any kind. We are not very big drinkers (maybe a drink a day), we do not drink sodas at all, and just have a cup or two of coffee or a shot of espresso. So on all of our cruises we skip packages and purchase a la carte and save a lot of money that way. Hence my question on cost of coffee/espresso. I will still research them to make sure. 

You can consider the Easy Pack. It includes all non-alcoholic drinks and the simplest beers and cocktails.

If you add
- water at lunch and dinner
- a glass of wine with lunch and dinner
- cappuccino after lunch and dinner
- some soft drink/beer when you are at the pool
- a simple cocktail (or a non-alcoholic cocktail) after dinner

You are practically paying what the Easy Pack costs. We are not talking about drinking great cocktails but simply very ordinary drinks.
Not only does it include the drinks themselves but also the 15% service charge

Think that if it is hot you will drink more liquid than whatever

2 minutes ago, alserrod said:

You can consider the Easy Pack. It includes all non-alcoholic drinks and the simplest beers and cocktails.

If you add
- water at lunch and dinner
- a glass of wine with lunch and dinner
- cappuccino after lunch and dinner
- some soft drink/beer when you are at the pool
- a simple cocktail (or a non-alcoholic cocktail) after dinner

You are practically paying what the Easy Pack costs. We are not talking about drinking great cocktails but simply very ordinary drinks.
Not only does it include the drinks themselves but also the 15% service charge

Think that if it is hot you will drink more liquid than whatever

Thank you for this information.

Easy package can be added on after booking?

Unless you are a dedicated bottled water drinker, you can bring a refillable bottle and fill with water, iced tea, lemonade, some kind of punch all day in the buffet.  Wide mouth bottles allow you to add ice.  I’m not much of a drinker either, maybe a drink or two, a couple diet cokes, which are very expensive.  I fill my cup with iced tea, sweetener, and a shot of lemonade.  If they are out of lemonade I get a wedge of lime from the bar in the buffet.  
  I will be boarding Seashore on the 23rd, doing a Live from thread, so when that is started you can ask me questions there.  EM

• Like 2

Just now, thepants said:

Thank you for this information.

Easy package can be added on after booking?

I am not sure... I have never done it after booking. In any case, any drink you requested before having pack would be full payed.

Just take a calculator

It includes

- single cocktail like piña colada, mojito, mimosa, manhattan, etc... (they are not upper drinks but it could be enough)

- all zero alcohol cocktails

- wine by the glass (for lunch, dinner and at any time)

- beer, draught, bottle. Main beer is Heineken but there are some ones you can ask for free

- sodas, ice tea, juices

- still and sparkling water (keep in mind how many you will ask on a hot day)

- any coffee or tea (it doesn't matter if a single coffee or a capuccino)

- some apperitifs

and.... if you wanna an upper drink you will pay difference from 8$ plus 15%.

This is, if you wanna a 10$ drink you will pay only 2,3$, not 11,5$ (you may always include 15% service to the price)

I do not have MSC prices in dollars but may it help you, for cruises where currency on board is euro

Espresso:   2,00€

Capuccino:   3,75€ 

Caffe latte:   3,75€

Hot tea:   3,75€

Irish coffee:  9,00€

7 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Unless you are a dedicated bottled water drinker, you can bring a refillable bottle and fill with water, iced tea, lemonade, some kind of punch all day in the buffet.  Wide mouth bottles allow you to add ice.  I’m not much of a drinker either, maybe a drink or two, a couple diet cokes, which are very expensive.  I fill my cup with iced tea, sweetener, and a shot of lemonade.  If they are out of lemonade I get a wedge of lime from the bar in the buffet.  
  I will be boarding Seashore on the 23rd, doing a Live from thread, so when that is started you can ask me questions there.  EM

That's what we have always done. Lemonade from the buffet in refillable water bottles for something other than water. 

12 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

4 minutes ago, thepants said:

That's what we have always done. Lemonade from the buffet in refillable water bottles for something other than water. 

I agree both of you. I am definitely a non-dedicated bottled water. I always refill my own water.

But...you can have your own punch in the buffet, not in the MDR.

Everyone has its preferences. And I think Easy pack can fit perfectly to people who barely drinks but in summer and holiday will drink a single glass of wine (not a full bottle per meal, just a single glass), will drink a soda or a beer in the pool and a cocktail after dinner, plus some coffee.