Carnival Cruise Line to Absorb P&O Australia

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Ozamara?

It would be good, I know it’s a premium brand but small expedition ships getting into small port . They would have to lower their standards,a LOT .

Who bought it off Royal Caribbean, can’t remember.Your good at finding things like that Geoff .

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is a little large for my back yard. 

I'd be flat out fitting one of the tenders in my backyard!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It would be good, I know it’s a premium brand but small expedition ships getting into small port . They would have to lower their standards,a LOT .

Who bought it off Royal Caribbean, can’t remember.Your good at finding things like that Geoff .

Sort of a maybe later thought. There are heaps of Azamara sized ships here already, and it seems those with premium ship cash are less affected than the mass market. I noticed one of the R ships is back up for sale too -  didn't Azamara snap them up?

I just wonder if Gavin is finally going to get to dance on P&O's grave, or with only two Royal Caribbean ships in Australia, are they only just hanging on to their local office.

22 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Azamara is now owned by Sycamore Partners, a US based private equity organisation.  It is unlikely that they consider themselves long-term holders so will probably look to flip the asset in the medium term though it is hard to say who'd be interested.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Sort of a maybe later thought. There are heaps of Azamara sized ships here already, and it seems those with premium ship cash are less affected than the mass market. I noticed one of the R ships is back up for sale too -  didn't Azamara snap them up?

I just wonder if Gavin is finally going to get to dance on P&O's grave, or with only two Royal Caribbean ships in Australia, are they only just hanging on to their local office.

They might be sniffing around the Vision class ships but I heard some Asian gaming group was thinking about them.

RCG might have a package deal,a couple of well maintained ship ,a lease on Lelepa and BIG GAV to run the show.

It’s quite a feasibility idea,if they didn’t operate in Europe ,Japan or California they wouldn’t have to comply with the harshest emissions laws .

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/azamara-may-send-ships-to-australia/

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

Good PR on their part, but it doesn't fit.

The void is for mainstream cruises ex-Melbourne, Freo, Cairns & Auckland. That is the void that a departing Pacific Explorer leaves behind, and that is only if Carnival chooses not to replace the ship in the year ahead. It may not be Luminosa, but it makes sense for Carnival's Brisbane ship to spend the off-season in Auckland, Freo & Melbourne.

There is another void here, and the reason why Cunard, Princess, Royal, Carnival/P&O, Virgin have all taken a step back. The void of cash/yield/profit is what will discourage Azamara from ratcheting things up.

If anything, look a little closer at how NCL is trialing departures from Melbourne & Cairns. Those itineraries are already available, so they are several steps further into the void.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

Just for my own entertainment. Should I fly from Brisbane to catch this one? 🤣 only $1200 for an inside room. Screenshot_20240611_221103_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c7a06cfb71a78bf64471628d92f29216.jpg

I think they have geared the 1 nighter for a media night.

8 hours ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

Just for my own entertainment. Should I fly from Brisbane to catch this one? 🤣 only $1200 for an inside room. Screenshot_20240611_221103_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c7a06cfb71a78bf64471628d92f29216.jpg

I saw that one. The price is beyond insane!!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

I think they have geared the 1 nighter for a media night.

If you were trying to attract a turn-out from the media, you wouldn't do it in Cairns.  You'd do it in Sydney or Melbourne.  Media companies are very tight with their cash these days so aren't going to fund flights of any staff from southern capitals to Cairns and back.

Posted (edited)

This just in on FB - everything that you currently pay extra for on P&O, you will still pay extra for when Carnival absorbs P&O. BBBC, burgers, pizzas, shows etc etc. 

Edited by CDaze71
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

This just in on FB - everything that you currently pay extra for on P&O, you will still pay extra for when Carnival absorbs P&O. BBBC, burgers, pizzas, shows etc etc. 

Whose Facebook page was this on?  What it the Carnival site or just someone posting?

Edited by reeves35

5 minutes ago, reeves35 said:

Whose Facebook page was this on?  What it the Carnival site or just someone posting?

I'm probably not allowed to say. But it was just someone in the travel industry saying "Carnival Representatives". Whatever that means. I'll keep watching tonight to see what JH has to say about this. 

Could you imagine the uproar, a USA guest flues over here expecting a Carnival product and being asked to pay for their traditional boarding day burger? Or at breakfast eggs benedict? Or their late night pizza. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

@arxcards I was thinking it was just an over nighter between the one way legs - had some spare rooms and are offering them? 

Time will tell!

Norwegian are strange.  I have a b2b (Melb/Auck/Melb) booked with them for this Christmas/New Year.  On the return cruise we get in Melbourne at 11.00am Saturday.  Then overnight Melbourne and disembarkation is sometime after 7.00am Sunday.

So I will be able to stand on the deck and almost see my house but not get off till immigration clearance is done presumably on Sunday.  Why not spend the day at sea and save on mooring fees?  First time Norwegian and I am learning as I go.

48 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Norwegian are strange.  I have a b2b (Melb/Auck/Melb) booked with them for this Christmas/New Year.  On the return cruise we get in Melbourne at 11.00am Saturday.  Then overnight Melbourne and disembarkation is sometime after 7.00am Sunday.

So I will be able to stand on the deck and almost see my house but not get off till immigration clearance is done presumably on Sunday.  Why not spend the day at sea and save on mooring fees?  First time Norwegian and I am learning as I go.

I reckon you should get a day in port, then overnight before disembark.

The crew love overnighting in ports, as they get a bit of time off-ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CDaze71 said:

I'm probably not allowed to say. But it was just someone in the travel industry saying "Carnival Representatives". Whatever that means. I'll keep watching tonight to see what JH has to say about this. 

Could you imagine the uproar, a USA guest flues over here expecting a Carnival product and being asked to pay for their traditional boarding day burger? Or at breakfast eggs benedict? Or their late night pizza. 

Without the name of a spokesperson, I don't believe that comment.

Also, the ships are being parked for two weeks, just to train the existing crew to the Carnival systems - yeah, right. Carnival ships = Carnival product. I do believe there is a phase over of some things due to existing contracts/supply agreements, but Carnival have yet to release specifics on that either. Examples are P&O Edge, Luke Mangan, Purple Rabbit etc, which possible could mean Luke's remains the steakhouse for the time being instead of Fahrenheit 555 (purely an example only).

But rest assured, a Carnival ship will have N/C on their burgers/pizza/soft serve/eggs benny.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Without the name of a spokesperson, I don't believe that comment.

Also, the ships are being parked for two weeks, just to train the existing crew to the Carnival systems - yeah, right. Carnival ships = Carnival product. I do believe there is a phase over of some things due to existing contracts/supply agreements, but Carnival have yet to release specifics on that either. Examples are P&O Edge, Luke Mangan, Purple Rabbit etc, which possible could mean Luke's remains the steakhouse for the time being instead of Fahrenheit 555 (purely an example only).

But rest assured, a Carnival ship will have N/C on their burgers/pizza/soft serve/eggs benny.

If you search YT said person just posted a video update with information coming directly from a Carnival representative. I'm going to watch JH page tonight. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

I am going to guess they are talking about the current P&O cruises that are listed on the P&O website as "Operated by Carnival"