Dry Dock Grand Princess

Husband just asked when the Grand had a face lift? Anybody know she was the last dry dock? He was reading negative reviews on this ship, won't change what I want but will make him feel better knowing some of the negative issues were addressed.

Thanks

According to one web-site, it shows May 2022.

I am not sure when the next might be?  It has only been two years since then.

That info seems to be hard to find.

I wonder if one would have to almost pull up the cruise schedule month-by-month and look for a time with no cruises scheduled.

• Like 1

Grand is due for dry docking in May 2025, as per the Lloyd's Register vessel status site (the classification society that mandates when the dry docks happen.  A ship of Grand's age must dry dock "twice in 5 years" with no more than 36 months between.  Since she will be 27 in 2025, this will be the "mid-period" dry dock, 3 years after the last one, and then the next one will be due in May 2027, only two years after this one, but that will be a big one, at 30 years of age.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Majestic:  Mar 2025

Caribbean:  Apr 2025

Emerald:  Oct 2025

Crown:  Oct 2025

Sapphire:  Apr 2026

Ruby:  Oct 2026

Diamond:  Feb 2027 (just did one in Feb)

these dates can vary about a month earlier, but not generally later

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Grand is due for dry docking in May 2025, as per the Lloyd's Register vessel status site (the classification society that mandates when the dry docks happen.  A ship of Grand's age must dry dock "twice in 5 years" with no more than 36 months between.  Since she will be 27 in 2025, this will be the "mid-period" dry dock, 3 years after the last one, and then the next one will be due in May 2027, only two years after this one, but that will be a big one, at 30 years of age.

Leave it to a sailor 😁, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

What did the repair or replace in 2022? I know they removed Skywalker lounge at one point. We will miss this for early in the morning when we leave to give the Cabin steward time to clean. Think One5 will work though. We are aft so this won't be far.

2 hours ago, bearhavingfun said:

Grand Princess is scheduled for drydock in Portland OR April 18 through May 3, 2025

Wow, close call for us.  Our 17-day Alaska cruise begins May 6, 2025.

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 11:21 AM, chengkp75 said:

Majestic:  Mar 2025

Caribbean:  Apr 2025

Emerald:  Oct 2025

Crown:  Oct 2025

Sapphire:  Apr 2026

Ruby:  Oct 2026

Diamond:  Feb 2027 (just did one in Feb)

these dates can vary about a month earlier, but not generally later

Thanks for the information.  Looks like the Sapphire Princess will go into drydock Sept 20, 2025 after its last Alaska cruise of the season ending in Vancouver and resume service on Oct. 11, 2025.  Is three weeks the normal amount of time for drydock and where does it drydock?  We have a 27 day cruise booked for August on her. Baltic cruise for 12 and then TA to Boston for 15. 

Edited by cruisinsince75
typo

21 minutes ago, cruisinsince75 said:

Thanks for the information.  Looks like the Sapphire Princess will go into drydock Sept 20, 2025 after its last Alaska cruise of the season ending in Vancouver and resume service on Oct. 11, 2025.  Is three weeks the normal amount of time for drydock and where does it drydock?  We have a 27 day cruise booked for August on her. Baltic cruise for 12 and then TA to Boston for 15. 

And what does this have to do with this Grand thread?

14 minutes ago, cruisinsince75 said:

Normal drydock time is 13-15 days. BUT there is also transit time. From Vancouver to Astoria is about 24-30 hours, depending upon various factors. From Astoria to Portland is about 8 hours but that transit for cruise ships is only done during daylight hours. So, if she departs from Vancouver the after noon of 09/20/2025 she will probably arrive in Portland mid day 09/22/2025. It takes about 6 hours to move into drydock. She will probably then come out of dry dock on 10/07/2025 or 10/08/2025 and be back in Vancouver anchorage on 10/10/2025 and then move into the terminal the morning of 10/11/2025.

The shipyard is Vigor Portland shipyard. They will do 2-4 cruise ships per year.

33 minutes ago, bearhavingfun said:

Normal drydock time is 13-15 days. BUT there is also transit time. From Vancouver to Astoria is about 24-30 hours, depending upon various factors. From Astoria to Portland is about 8 hours but that transit for cruise ships is only done during daylight hours. So, if she departs from Vancouver the after noon of 09/20/2025 she will probably arrive in Portland mid day 09/22/2025. It takes about 6 hours to move into drydock. She will probably then come out of dry dock on 10/07/2025 or 10/08/2025 and be back in Vancouver anchorage on 10/10/2025 and then move into the terminal the morning of 10/11/2025.

The shipyard is Vigor Portland shipyard. They will do 2-4 cruise ships per year.

So the reports from super secret members of the immenint sale of the grand are mis reported?

3 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

So the reports from super secret members of the immenint sale of the grand are mis reported?

I do not play guessing or rumor games. I go by facts.

Posted (edited)

I have a cruised booked for mid 2026..on the Grand.  Princess would be penny wise, pound foolish for selling/getting rid of one of their more popular ships.  I love the Grand (now that they got rid of the Golden).  I know I am not the only one that feels this way.

I am well aware of Princess playing the shell game.  I have a total of 3 cruises booked (was 4) on the Grand Princess.  They charge top dollars for her voyages.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, greenie082756 said:

Well, we have 2 cruises booked on the Grand. One before dry dock this December and one afterwards in August. 

I will be curious to see the changes. 

There will not necessarily be changes. This is a normal timed scheduled dry dock with first priority being hull cleaning and painting along with maintenance on many of the ship's systems. There will also be some carpet changing and interior painting/refreshing and such.