Senior Discount?

MsTabbyKats

Based on my advice, my friend booked YC thru an agent.  The agent really is not familiar with MSC and doesn't like to work with them.  Anyway, I told my friend, based on her NCL status, that MSC would status match and give her a discount.

She applied for the status match, and in true MSC fashion, did not hear back.  So, she called, and after mentioning YC...the rep told her she was entitled to a 10% senior discount (which she got).  She still didn't hear about the status match.

Does anyone else know about this senior discount?  We're talking American...not any other country's rules.

7 minutes ago, marti2282 said:

I’ve heard of the early booking discount, diamond discount, military discount, but never a senior discount! Wonder if this is new?

I don't know.  My friend didn't ask for it, or demand it.  She simply called to ask the status of her "match" and was told they didn't have a record of receiving it...so the rep offered her the senior discount.

I know my friend; she isn't making this up. 

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I don't know.  My friend didn't ask for it, or demand it.  She simply called to ask the status of her "match" and was told they didn't have a record of receiving it...so the rep offered her the senior discount.

I know my friend; she isn't making this up. 

Good for her — we ALL love discounts!

It is a thing and it's not new. On my very first MSC cruise, back in 2014, one couple in our family group were old enough to qualify for a "senior offer" which provided a discount and some onboard perks.

I was recently looking for up-to-date info about it to see if DH and I had crossed the threshold because I couldn't remember what age it started at and I couldn't find anything about it on the MSC website. I thought it had probably just been dropped.

However, prompted by this thread, it occurred to me to take a look at the online brochures and wouldn't you know it... Now, admittedly, I'm in Portugal, but I looked at both the Portuguese and the international brochures and the information is there in black and white in both, so...

Click on this link to get to the brochures: https://www.msccruises.com/int/our-brochures

Then choose the Summer 2024 brochure, go to page 120 and read the section headed "Senior Club".

For anyone who might have difficulty viewing it, here's a screenshot of what it says:

image.png.fb2d2b0c1d27ebf387ac6d7c8979c0ca.png

I hope the information will be useful. 🙂

• Like 1

So I went to the brochure link @FionaMG supplied in the post above. Then scrolled to the bottom of the page to the “Our Fares” which is one of the many options under the “Travel Info” heading.

Here is the “Our Fares” link: https://www.msccruises.com/int/cruise-deals/our-fares

Not only is there a Senior Club fare listed but among the many fare options, there is an age 18-29 fare called Young & Young!

The initial link to the brochure page triggered a banner from MSC saying “we notice you’re from the US; do you want to go to that page?”

I did then click the banner to go to US site and the “Our Fares” option is not there nor are the other special rates.

• Like 1

@Dock BI has the same results.  I think my friend was very lucky...got a knowledgeable rep.

With the senior discount you can book "the day before" and get the same discount as the status discount, which needs to be done 6 months before sailing! 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FionaMG said:

It is a thing and it's not new. On my very first MSC cruise, back in 2014, one couple in our family group were old enough to qualify for a "senior offer" which provided a discount and some onboard perks.

I was recently looking for up-to-date info about it to see if DH and I had crossed the threshold because I couldn't remember what age it started at and I couldn't find anything about it on the MSC website. I thought it had probably just been dropped.

However, prompted by this thread, it occurred to me to take a look at the online brochures and wouldn't you know it... Now, admittedly, I'm in Portugal, but I looked at both the Portuguese and the international brochures and the information is there in black and white in both, so...

Click on this link to get to the brochures: https://www.msccruises.com/int/our-brochures

Then choose the Summer 2024 brochure, go to page 120 and read the section headed "Senior Club".

For anyone who might have difficulty viewing it, here's a screenshot of what it says:

4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@Dock BI has the same results.  I think my friend was very lucky...got a knowledgeable rep.

With the senior discount you can book "the day before" and get the same discount as the status discount, which needs to be done 6 months before sailing! 

Did you notice the "subject to availability" asterisk at the bottom?  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Did you notice the "subject to availability" asterisk at the bottom?  

I didn't but I pretty much assume that just about every discount anywhere is subject to availability. 😂

Edited by FionaMG

Just now, FionaMG said:

I didn't but I pretty much assume that just about every discount anywhere is subject to availabilty. 😂

Not true (e.g. loyalty discount).  In my experience this kind of condition often results in limiting the discount to only less popular itineraries. I could be wrong in this case, and I hope I am as I have just asked my TA to inquire about this discount on my upcoming Yacht Club booking.  I'll report back. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, FionaMG said:

5 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Update.... I just notice when I follow the link provided (I'm in the USA), I get this message at the top of the screen...

We noticed you-re visiting us from US.

Click on GO to browse your MSC Cruises website and to get all the cruise deals and info applicable to you, or select another country of residence from the dropdown list.

When I go to the US site, no Senior Club is mentioned.  I suspect this discount is only available in some geographic locations. It seems   @FionaMG is from Portugal, so that's why she sees it and those in the USA don't. 

Edited by mnocket

@mnocket I reported that banner in my earlier post. You still could ask your TA about the Senior Club and provide the info (photo) of the details.

Who knows…you might get the perks!

From my reading on this board (another personal experience) trying to change a booking might result in a total re-fare at the current rate and/or a loss of the perks you received when you initially booked. But, your TA should be able to keep MSC straight on whether to change your booking or not.

Let us know!

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 10:22 AM, Dock B said:

@mnocket I reported that banner in my earlier post. You still could ask your TA about the Senior Club and provide the info (photo) of the details.

Who knows…you might get the perks!

From my reading on this board (another personal experience) trying to change a booking might result in a total re-fare at the current rate and/or a loss of the perks you received when you initially booked. But, your TA should be able to keep MSC straight on whether to change your booking or not.

Let us know!

OK, I heard back from my TA.  They spoke to MSC and, as I expected, they were told that the Senior Discount was not available in USA🙁

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, mnocket said:

OK, I heard back from my TA.  They spoke to MSC and, as I expected, they were told that the Senior Discount was not available in USA🙁

Boo! Oh well, it was worth asking the question; thank you for taking time to let all of us know.