Meraviglia Aurea Experience vs Yacht Club

Posted (edited)

I'm looking at a cruise on MSC Maraviglia. I've seen great reviews about the Yacht Club, but I can't afford that. How is the Aurea experience?

I have cruised with Royal Caribbean, Carnival. NCL, Princess and Disney.

Thank you!

Edited by Susan in Maine
error

6 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

I'm looking at a cruise on MSC Maraviglia. I've seen great reviews about the Yacht Club, but I can't afford that. How is the Aurea experience?

I have cruised with Royal Caribbean, Carnival. NCL, Princess and Disney.

Thank you!

@JamieLogicalto the white courtesy phone…. EM

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@Essiesmom Bat signal received!

I have done Aurea only once so far and all of my other sailings on MSC have been Fantastica. The one time that I had the Aurea experience, I was booked into a Whirlpool Balcony Suite, so I did not take advantage of the included spa access. However, I did at least take a tour of the thermal spa. It seemed nice enough, though a little small and darker than the thermal spas I was used to on NCL, which are large and have windows. I did have a friend who used the thermal spa every single day on one of our Meraviglia sailings and she clearly enjoyed it.

For me, the only real difference between Aurea and Fantastica was the anytime dining. The area of the Panorama dining room that the Aurea guests are seated in is right along the aft windows, which can provide for really nice views. Being able to dine any time you want may be a big deal for some people, so if that has a lot of value for you, then it might be worth it. For us, we found that we usually dine around the same time every night anyway and we have gotten quite used to the assigned dining times with Fantastica. We also don't mind sharing tables (in fact we often enjoy getting to chat with people), so we have never required a two-top for dinner. When we were in Aurea, we had a two-top, but usually still ended up chatting with the people seated next to us.

If I were choosing between Aurea and Fantastica, I would look at the cost of just purchasing a thermal spa pass and weigh out how much value the anytime dining has for me, then figure out which is the better deal. I do have Aurea booked again for January, but again that is because we have booked a Whirlpool Balcon Suite and those are Aurea cabins. Were I to book a normal balcony, I think I would not pay the additional expense for Aurea, especially now that I am Diamond and already get priority boarding and a robe/slippers in my cabin.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We've only cruised YC and Aurea.

Aurea was no YC, but after cruising Aurea, I can't see us cruising any lower experience than that.

Any time dining was great for us. Priority embarkation is great if you don't have the voyager status. The Aurea bar/pool is a great break from the chaos of the main pool and bars. The balcony is bigger than our deck at home.

Bubbly and chocolates on embarkation is nice and also the diffuser gift is great. I freaking love the smell on the ship and was excited to take it home with me to supplement the cologne I buy every time I'm on the ship.

We have Aurea booked for our upcoming cruise, but just this morning I bid on a YC upgrade. I'll be happy if we get it, but still content if we don't.

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have never personally sailed with the Aurea experience. I have sailed on the Meraviglia though and walked past the Aurea only area on deck 19. It is called the "Top 19 Exclusive Solarium." It looked really nice from the outside and the pictures that I've seen online. It has a 22 foot long whirlpool tub, lounge chairs and some private couches and small tables. The times that I walked by I didn't see very many people in the area, but that could vary for each sailing. It is also several decks above the main pool deck, but you can still hear the music/noise from the pool deck below. 

I hope that helps you make an informed decision 😀

Edited by TheBeardedCruiser
Fixed spelling/grammar
  • Like 1

It really does depend on what's important to you. We had only ever sailed YC or Aurea but after the changes to what was included in Aurea we decided to try Fantastica last year. For us, the fixed dining time wasn't amenable. Early seating was too early and the late time too late. We were fortunate not to share a table on that trip but that's a big no for us too. And we really missed the Aurea sundeck. It was worth the experiment but it did confirm to us the value we'd pay for Aurea, even with the changes. 

As illustrated in the different replies, some people will value the Aurea benefits and for others they're not worth it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

As illustrated in the different replies, some people will value the Aurea benefits and for others they're not worth it. 

That's really what it boils down to. If you really value anytime dining, will use the spa daily, and love a sunny pool deck, then it may be worth it. If those aren't priorities, you can save your money and just book Fantastica.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

It really does depend on what's important to you. We had only ever sailed YC or Aurea but after the changes to what was included in Aurea we decided to try Fantastica last year. For us, the fixed dining time wasn't amenable. Early seating was too early and the late time too late. We were fortunate not to share a table on that trip but that's a big no for us too. And we really missed the Aurea sundeck. It was worth the experiment but it did confirm to us the value we'd pay for Aurea, even with the changes. 

So after being in the YC, Aurea was still good?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

So after being in the YC, Aurea was still good?

Yes. We've alternated between the two, sometimes because we've been on ships with no YC but others because of cost. Aurea has inclusions which we've found important to us and we've never been unhappy when booking Aurea. It's not the same special level as YC but it's not the same cost either. 

• Like 2

We loved our Aurea experience on the Meraviglia in February and have booked the same exact cabin and experience for July.  Loved the spa; we went every day, the anytime dining and the quiet cabin location.  For us it was totally worth it.  We are still enjoying the complimentary diffuser as well.  It smells so yummy.

IMG_3208.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3207.jpeg

IMG_3212.jpeg

IMG_3202.jpeg

IMG_3713.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

If you don't care about the space of the cabin, or storage...YC Interior is the best value at sea.

It takes about 1 minute to use the dedicated elevator up to the pool deck.

Unfortunately the friend I'm sailing with insists on a balcony.

Haven't cruised in YC but LOVED Aurea.

Priority embarkation,  *true* any time dining (we are experienced RC cruisers and always do My Time dining on there....MSCs any time blows RC's out of the water. No reservations,  super minimal wait and nice restaurant), loved the Top 19 solarium (easily the nicest hot tub onboard...loved the size and view over pool deck as well as the quieter lounge area) and thermal spa access (sooo relaxing). 

Other great perks included the welcome prosecco/chocolate, the diffuser, use of a robe and slippers and double loyalty points. 

We liked it so much that we booked 3 more cruises. Same cabin, same Aurea perks. Price (including drink package and wifi) still much cheaper than RCs (which didn't include perks like spa access and not including drinks/wifi). MSC Aurea experience all the way! 

• Like 2