Solo B2B VV Valiant Lady Sept 18 & 22 2024 FIRST TIMER so many questions

dversaggi

Hi everyone!

I'm a married gal in my 50s whose hubby and daughter don't like cruises, so I am going solo for the first time ever on VV for the first time ever (Gold Castaway Club member, though). I've been looking at past posts on the subject, and I just have a few clarifying questions about this particular cruise line (I'm used to DCL). Any input would be greatly appreciated. 🫠

1. Has anyone stayed at the Elser the night before? Is there a shuttle to the port? Their website is unclear.

2. I am a Gold on DCL and I understand there is loyalty matching. Does that make me a Blue with VV? Does that allow earlier boarding?

3. If I'm booked to board at 3, for example, how soon before my time should I show up? I am a fisherman's daughter now living in land locked Atlanta, so if I can hand off my luggage early, I am content to stare at the water in the shade of the Port Blvd bridge for hours. I miss open water so much.

4. On DCL, I remember running to Palo first for dining reservations then sprinting down to the spa for those reservations. On VV, what would you suggest doing for hard to come by spots? Restaurants then spa to reserve massage and fitness classes? Should I also reserve a show? Is it crazy to even try?

5. I need to carry on 1 syringe of my diabetes medication plus the million other things I take daily to pretend to be healthy. I have a small travel cooler which I've used in past international travels. Are they going to rip through my carry on and give me a hard time about my meds and supplements?

6. Has anyone done the solo meet up? Is it easy to find people to talk to or to join for dinner? 

7. What is a normal bar tab for a 5 night? I'm not usually a drinker, but I may need it to be social. It seems pricy to me.

8. Do they charge for soy milk?

9. Are the doors and ceiling of the cabins metal? I'm assuming yes, because it's a ship. For the Disney cruises, I used magnetic hooks to hang things on the back of the door and from the ceiling to keep a tidy room. Same with RC.

10. I'm B2B. Do I need to pack up everything, leave the ship, and go back on board, or can they leave my things in the room? This is my biggest question. I've never been B2B before. I'm excited!

11. Is there a message board for sail dates like on Disney where you can connect with other cruisers before you sail?

Thank you in advance! I'm so happy to get back on the ocean.

Welcome to the VV board.  Don’t worry about your meds.  My sister traveled with Victoza and they never noticed.  
It is my understanding that they don’t book a slots in the restaurants online, and depending on when you want to dine, you might be able to just walk up.  I have a feeling I will be taking most of my meals in the Galley.

I have done many B2B cruises but not on Virgin.  But my experience is if you have the same cabin you just leave it as is.  You will have to leave the ship so it can zero out, and go through immigration.  You will get a letter in your cabin telling you how they will do it.  
The message boards here are call ROLL CALLs, in a separate forum here.  I just looked and didn’t see a roll call for your sailing, although I did discover there is now one  for my cruise on July 14.  EM

OMG thank you, EM! I feel like VV boards won't be as active as the DCL boards. Lots of moms planning cute things for their kids, but adults don't care. Have fun on your cruise! 

1 hour ago, dversaggi said:

. If I'm booked to board at 3, for example, how soon before my time should I show up? I am a fisherman's daughter now living in land locked Atlanta, so if I can hand off my luggage early, I am content to stare at the water in the shade of the Port Blvd bridge for hours. I miss open water so much.

You can drop off your luggage in the morning with a porter starting around 10. Virgin doesn't start boarding until 1:30, but once they start it goes quick. However, you may not be able to get into the terminal much before your boarding time, so if you are boarding at 3, you might be waiting out in the sun for a while, so you might want to consider delaying arriving until 2:15. 

On DCL, I remember running to Palo first for dining reservations then sprinting down to the spa for those reservations. On VV, what would you suggest doing for hard to come by spots? Restaurants then spa to reserve massage and fitness classes? Should I also reserve a show? Is it crazy to even try?

If you are not booked in a suite, you can book your dining in the app starting at midnight 45 days out (reservations for suites open 60 days prior).If you have a TA, they can book on your behalf and may be able to book before the 45 days. You can alternatively call Virgin first thing in the morning the day dining reservations open and they can usually help book on your behalf. As a solo, you may have an easier time booking than larger groups.

The important thing is to get slots booked for each night in advance. Once on board, additional slots open up and you can change the time on your own in the app. Alternatively, you can go to the first day dining reservations help desk, which is usually at Razzle Dazzle (on Deck 5, across the elevator bank from Sailor Services) and they can help you. If you are not happy with the dining times you prebooked (or if you were unable to prebook) I would suggest dealing with dining first. 

Shows and many workout classes are now first come first serve, although there are exceptions. If you are reasonably happy with your dining reservations, I would suggest checking the app when you board to sign up for the few shows and classes that may require reservations. The few workout classes that require reservations tend to fill up quickly. 

Once you handled all of the reservations, then you can go to the spa to sign up for other services. The spa is conveniently also on 5, so you can go right from Razzle Dazzle/Sailor Services to the spa. 

7. What is a normal bar tab for a 5 night? I'm not usually a drinker, but I may need it to be social. It seems pricy to me.

It depends what you drink. Sodas, juices and drip coffee are free If you Google VV bar tab calculator, then you can plug in some various scenarios. The only advantage of buying a bar tab ahead is you get some bonus spend depending on how much you buy. However, the bar tab is non-refundable, so you are taking a risk. If you are a solo sailor who doesn't really drink, it may not be worth the risk. However, VV just expanded (and raised the price) on their on mocktail offerings, if that's of interest to you.

Do they charge for soy milk?

No. There is no upcharge for non-dairy milk and soy, almond and oat are all usually available. 

WOW! Thank you. That literally covers everything. I'll ask for a late checkout from the hotel. I'm really hoping I'm comfortable with the solitude. There are so many cruises I want to go on, and if I can get through these 9 days, the sky's the limit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dversaggi said:

WOW! Thank you. That literally covers everything. I'll ask for a late checkout from the hotel. I'm really hoping I'm comfortable with the solitude. There are so many cruises I want to go on, and if I can get through these 9 days, the sky's the limit.

I sure understand about all the meds. I have my pen for my RA plus all the other things that go along with that. Some times I feel like I could open a pharmacy out of my suitcase when I travel.

The app can be quirky at times so I suggest clearing all open pages on your phone before you attempt to book dining. I'm a TA so I will be on at midnight to book mine and the folks traveling with me. You can hop on at midnight as well. I set my alarm rather then sitting up that late.

You can get a bar tab for as low as $100 and VV will kick in an additional $10. On my 5 night cruise I had a $600 bar tab. I was buying drinks for strangers, just to use it up. I will usually get a Sangria ($12) at the dock when I get onboard and then a glass of wine ($7-$?) with dinner or a beer ($7) at Pink Agave. I even splurged and did the wine pairing at the Test Kitchen. I don't think I used over $40/day. I also did the Afternoon Tea which was $19 if you did it with out the champagne. I did enjoy the "Berry Me at Sea" (?$12) at the Social Club. So drink prices are as good as if not better then many land based places and definitely better then most cruise lines. They also have a much nicer wine selection then Princess and very close to Celebrity.

I have cruised and traveled a lot since my husband passed away 10 years ago and quite a few of those trips have been solo. On NCL I went to their Solo meet up and immediately walked out. I was the only woman there. Princess has a happy hour for solos and it was okay but there again the ratio was predominately men. I haven't done one on Celebrity or Virgin but I have had no problems meeting people sitting near me at dinner. I have two folks who go with me on some cruises but going solo is so nice. On my cruise in December I would curl up in the hammock and read or nap. I went to the morning meditation. I did what ever I wanted to do and just chilled. It's a nice way to unwind from my full time job. So, cruising solo can really spoil you if you are confident in yourself. Some folks just aren't and need people with them. I hope you enjoy your time on Virgin.

Here is the page to find out all the info on VV Sailing Club. The sign up link is at the bottom. Blue won't get you priority boarding but you will get one specialty coffee a day and a bag of laundry. https://www.virginvoyages.com/sailing-club

Barb

• Like 1

Hello! I am in the same situation as you - married and my husband prefers land vacations to cruises so I often cruise solo. Virgin does a REALLY great job of getting solos together (if that's what you want). The first day there will be a note in your cabin explaining when and where the first solo gathering is and explaining about the first solo dinner (in Razzle Dazzle). There will be someone from the Happenings Cast (like a cruise director) at that event and they will facilitate a whatsapp group for solos. I found that really helpful for ex if you have a dinner reservation but don't feel like eating alone you can just post "heh anyone want to meet up for dinner at the Wake at 7" type thing and you will usually get some takers. There are so many solos on Virgin and people are usually super friendly so it's quite easy to meet people. I am doing a solo in July and another one in August - it's a great way to vacation! You will love it! 

• Like 2

Janthere! Thank you! Do you have any experience on Celebrity? I decided to book the Beyond FLL 9/21 to the Caribbean. Have you ever done a SOLO there?

Check out the videos by Where's Walter Travels.  Here is a link to one of them.  The ships are all similar enough that the info applies to all.  There have been some minor menu changes.  Walter was an award winning Hollywood film maker so his stuff is very well done.  It is also accurate not "look at me" or "here is my 10th drink of the day." stuff that some others post.

B2B depends on the port.  Usually you will be required to disembark at the end of the queue so they can clear the ship legally, and will immediately be able to check in again and reboard IF you are in the same cabin.  But essentially nothing will be open--you can enjoy the open decks, etc.  Everything will reopen at 1:30.  You also have the option of getting off at any time you wish and going into town or whatever, but if you do that, you cannot reboard until 1:30.

On other lines, we've had varied experiences depending on port and how many B2Bs there were, as well as Customs regulations.  

• Like 1

Virgin is probably the easiest line to travel solo on as there are MANY other solo travellers. The first evening, there is a hosted solo get together and a solo dinner at Razzle Dazzle. I recommend going to both - if you do that you will meet lots of new people and then take it from there. On my last VV cruise, the solo group started a whatsapp so we could coordinate dinner, get togethers, shore excursions, etc. It was a a blast! If you are into it, I would recommend signing up for the Grog Walk on the first night, too - I met so many people doing that and then the PJ party afterwards (I don't necessarily remember meeting them all as I may or may not have had one or two bevvies). Finally, if you are on the other social media site, search for your ship and sail date as VV sailors seem far more active over there than on CC....