Illuminations - broken.

We booked our cruise in November of last year, set to sail in June of 2025.  One of the things that we got really excited about was Illuminations. It was described on the Cunard website as such:

Wherever on earth our flagship Queen Mary 2 carries you, set off on an adventure through the stars.

You know you’re on a special ship indeed when you can settle into your comfortable seat in the largest planetarium at sea on Queen Mary 2. More than this, Illuminations is a luxury 3D cinema and a classical music venue. The planetarium dome can send you on an epic voyage across the solar system, teach you to navigate by the stars, or show other science and natural history films, with up to four screenings on each sea day. With the dome retracted, Illuminations hosts 3D films and stunning concerts and recitals.

This advertisement is still on their website as of today.   

Since booking I have read review after review that details that illuminations no longer works, and that in fact, it hasn't worked for a number of years.  And now it is used as a room for lectures.   The website also says this wonderful feature is included in our Cruise Fare.  How long can Cunard continue to advertise this feature and yet not deliver?  When does it become false advertising, or fraud (since they knowingly continue to advertise this feature when they know it is broken and that there is no way they can deliver on the promise)  or since they are registered in Bermuda, are they not governed by these same rules? (is Bermuda a lawless place?) 

I am sure we will enjoy our cruise, but this is just so disappointing.  And it doesn't bode well for good faith transactions going forward. 

Thoughts?

• Like 4

It has worked until fairly recently, there were some broken seats but the breakdown of the planetarium hasn't been going on for years.

It was first reported here last month 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

We booked our cruise in November of last year, set to sail in June of 2025.  One of the things that we got really excited about was Illuminations. It was described on the Cunard website as such:

Wherever on earth our flagship Queen Mary 2 carries you, set off on an adventure through the stars.

You know you’re on a special ship indeed when you can settle into your comfortable seat in the largest planetarium at sea on Queen Mary 2. More than this, Illuminations is a luxury 3D cinema and a classical music venue. The planetarium dome can send you on an epic voyage across the solar system, teach you to navigate by the stars, or show other science and natural history films, with up to four screenings on each sea day. With the dome retracted, Illuminations hosts 3D films and stunning concerts and recitals.

This advertisement is still on their website as of today.   

Since booking I have read review after review that details that illuminations no longer works, and that in fact, it hasn't worked for a number of years.  And now it is used as a room for lectures.   The website also says this wonderful feature is included in our Cruise Fare.  How long can Cunard continue to advertise this feature and yet not deliver?  When does it become false advertising, or fraud (since they knowingly continue to advertise this feature when they know it is broken and that there is no way they can deliver on the promise)  or since they are registered in Bermuda, are they not governed by these same rules? (is Bermuda a lawless place?) 

I am sure we will enjoy our cruise, but this is just so disappointing.  And it doesn't bode well for good faith transactions going forward. 

Thoughts?

It was working last  November as I went to a showing and there was also new seats so not sure where the idea it was not working for years comes from. Also it was in use in the summer. 

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on a crossing on QM2 at the end of April and Illuminations was not in service during our journey.  The room is used for lectures but that I understand that would also apply even if Illuminations was working.

Strangely, there was no mention of Illuminations (i.e. no statement of apology, etc.) in the daily programme or by the Cruise Director.

It is still listed as a feature on their website so hopefully it will be repaired soon, if that has not already been done.

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/activity-types/daytime/planetarium

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

That is good to hear.  There is a Qm2 Review for May 2024 by AMch titled The Bucket List Adventure.  I read it this morning (after reading many other reviews stating that Illuminations did not work. He states the Planetarium in Illuminations doesn't work anymore and that it has not worked for years.  I have not read  ANY review that says that it worked when they were on board.  There is also a thread from May 8 Planetarium on Queen Mary 2 that discusses that the Planetarium in Illuminations and one person who was on the ship at the time said that there are no planetarium shows and that there was a rumor that the sound system was not working.  Another poster who was on the ship May 5-12 stated it was not working. One poster said that it was planned to have an upfit, but no time frame for it.   Someone else posted that an office on board said that it would happen at the next drydock (anybody know when that is?)  He also said that the upfit would actually transform the space to a multi purpose space that would include a dinner theater area, like "Bright Lights" on the QA.  When asked if that meant scaling back or eliminating the planetarium, the office became very noncommittal.  

Edited by HopefulCruiser123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

at the next drydock (anybody know when that is?)

There's a big gap in her schedules May 2026 into June 2026. We would have booked for June 2026 but she doesn't have sailings that we would normally have chosen.

• Like 1

I’m fairly confident that when QM2 receives her major refit in June 2026 that some of the new QA features such as Bright Lights, permanent specialty restaurants, etc., will be added.

Particularly if demand remains strong.

As there aren’t many areas left to simply add space, unfortunately something currently existing will wind up being replaced.

The Planetarium, interesting as it has been for the last twenty years, may have run its course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I’m fairly confident that when QM2 receives her major refit in June 2026 that some of the new QA features such as Bright Lights, permanent specialty restaurants, etc., will be added.

Particularly if demand remains strong.

As there aren’t many areas left to simply add space, unfortunately something currently existing will wind up being replaced.

The Planetarium, interesting as it has been for the last twenty years, may have run its course.

That may very well be.  They should remove it from their product offering on the website.  It's dishonest. 

• Like 3

It’s no different to when other advertised features are closed. I have travelled on various different Queens and for some of the time the pools, hot tubs are closed for a variety of reasons usually health and safety. They are advertised in the brochures and on line.  Annoying yes but these things happen and is part and parcel of cruising.  If the Planetarium is going to be an important element of your crossing it may be better to defer until confirmation from regulars on here  that it is back working again. I see you are booked for June 2025 so it may well be repaired by then. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

We were on a crossing on QM2 at the end of April and Illuminations was not in service during our journey.  The room is used for lectures but that I understand that would also apply even if Illuminations was working.

On our voyages on the QM2  the lectures were the most common use of Illuminations. The planetarium presentations were only for part of the afternoon. Lectures were held in the morning and often the early afternoon and sometimes again in the late afternoon. In the evening feature films were shown. 

The suggestion that the room will be re-purposed is interesting.  It is an excellent facility for lectures and films with comfortable seating and excellent sight-lines due to being steeply raked. I hope they keep it as is, even if the planetarium is not repaired.

• Like 3

I can confirm that the planetarium was still out of service on the May 23-30 crossing.  No mention at all in the daily program.  The room was used for films and lectures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

It’s no different to when other advertised features are closed. I have travelled on various different Queens and for some of the time the pools, hot tubs are closed for a variety of reasons usually health and safety. They are advertised in the brochures and on line.  Annoying yes but these things happen and is part and parcel of cruising.  If the Planetarium is going to be an important element of your crossing it may be better to defer until confirmation from regulars on here  that it is back working again. I see you are booked for June 2025 so it may well be repaired by then. 

It’s booked.  I won’t cancel because it is also our ride home.  My biggest complaint is that they continue to advertise it.  Website maintenance is not that expensive.  In fact, I could only find one specialty restaurant on the website this morning and I could have sworn there were others when we booked.  Something called Bamboo something or other and I think an Indian themed restaurant ( not positive about that one).  Either way, they have been removed so Cunard DOES have the ability to update their website.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

It’s booked.  I won’t cancel because it is also our ride home.  My biggest complaint is that they continue to advertise it.  Website maintenance is not that expensive.  In fact, I could only find one specialty restaurant on the website this morning and I could have sworn there were others when we booked.  Something called Bamboo something or other and I think an Indian themed restaurant ( not positive about that one).  Either way, they have been removed so Cunard DOES have the ability to update their website.

The other restaurants are just pop ups that take over an area of the buffet in the evening. They vary which theme is offered depending where the ship is sailing. There is only one proper speciality restaurant on board. I presume you book onboard when you know the theme. I have never been as the food is never to my liking. Hopefully the Planetarium will be fixed by your crossing next year. 

• Like 1

It's also worth noting that the planetarium itself is 20+ years old. It's more than likely spare parts don't exist anymore, or are out of date completely - as is the case with other items on the ship.

If it was an easy fix I'm sure they would have done it by now. Additionally, I'm sure there are so many other things engineering, etc. has to deal with - even recently QM2 was delayed leaving Southampton due to some technical issues.

Not only that, but it must be hard to find the time. This may not be a day fix, which if is the case could impact lectures, movie viewing, etc. which will then also upset passengers.

• Like 3

The planetarium show was dated and underwhelming so if they are re-doing the production…good for Cunard. They should communicate what’s happening better however. 

• Like 2

When we visited sales on Queen Anne during the Canaries cruise we booked a taster on Queen Mary. I asked about the planetarium and Chris said that it would be refitted. He said that it would be fitted with LED walls and that it would be an all immersive experience that could also host concerts. He didn’t say when this would happen.
We booked a two night taster M612, which appears to have a gap in itineraries just before it. It seems possible that this would be a likely dry dock. Hopefully all will be completed during that time and hopefully M612 will go ahead. 

• Like 1

Hopefulcruiser123

i am on the QM2 now and can confirm that unfortunately the planiterium is out of order. I spoke to the manager at the Pursers Desk and he said that he doesn’t have a date when it will be up and rotation but that it will be at least 2 weeks. 
Jack

• Like 3