Viking Oceans in Polynesia

OBX Cruisers

We'll be on Viking Neptune to Hawaii and Polynesia January 31 - March 4, 2025, LA to LA. Should we try to book a Polynesian Cultural Show/Dance on our own - perhaps at the Intercontinental Tahiti?  Or will Viking offer an excursion of this type or perhaps a small show on the ship itself?  Any other "don't miss" excursions either through the ship or independent?  Thanks all!

When we did this itinerary last Nov/Dec they brought several troupes of native performers on board at various Hawaiian and Polynesian ports.  Each displayed a different style of singing / dancing / drumming.  There were feasts on deck at night (at one roasted an entire pig) as well as performances in theater.   Very entertaining.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OBX Cruisers said:

We'll be on Viking Neptune to Hawaii and Polynesia January 31 - March 4, 2025, LA to LA. Should we try to book a Polynesian Cultural Show/Dance on our own - perhaps at the Intercontinental Tahiti?  Or will Viking offer an excursion of this type or perhaps a small show on the ship itself?  Any other "don't miss" excursions either through the ship or independent?  Thanks all!

If you snorkel, this itinerary (not Viking)was some of the best we have ever done, and we've snorkeled in Hawaii a lot.  We also had several on board shows but again, we were on another line.  Sounds like Viking does a good job.  Also, this is the best way to see Polynesia, from a ship. Spectacular views from the ship but in our opinion when on land, just another island.  There was a great open market in the Papeete port, if still there. My sister-in-law and I bought beautiful tropical flowers to bring back for our cabins.  Sorry, I got a bit off subject but this was 20 years ago and still ranks very high on favorite cruises list.  Have fun! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

When we did this itinerary last Nov/Dec they brought several troupes of native performers on board at various Hawaiian and Polynesian ports.  Each displayed a different style of singing / dancing / drumming.  There were feasts on deck at night (at one roasted an entire pig) as well as performances in theater.   Very entertaining.

We too are doing this itinerary in January. Thank you for your informative post. Two quick questions- am I right in assuming I pack layers for all weather conditions and  for non snorkelers what’s the one thing you would say “you must do”.  Thanks 

3 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Thanks for the information in this thread m in considering this itinerary but kind of concerned that Hawaii has little to no interest to me.

I will just say that we've been going to Hawaii for 50 years.  In the earlier years we always found plenty of interest if you're talking sightseeing. Kauai-the north shore, the canyon. The Big Island-VNP.  Maui-road to Hana, sadly Lahiana. Oahu-Pearl Harbor, museums.  Just a short list.  Now we hardly leave our Condo and still enjoy just sitting on the Lanai watching whales, people watching , walking on the beach every morning and sunsets at night.  There's always various water excursions to consider if land doesn't have any interests.   So, on a cruise, if none of those are of interest then not the best way to visit.  On the other hand we loved Tahiti but pretty much for the snorkeling and scenic cruising.  Nice that this itinerary covers both.  Will add, traffic is a major issue on all the islands these days (except Molokai), and another reason to lay low.   We've been on very few cruises where we were interested in every port but usually found something to do and enjoy the At Sea days more and more. I really enjoy that we all have such a variety of perspective on our choices so happy to share ours, but of course, just our perspective.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, uktog said:

We too are doing this itinerary in January. Thank you for your informative post. Two quick questions- am I right in assuming I pack layers for all weather conditions and  for non snorkelers what’s the one thing you would say “you must do”.  Thanks 

In Nov / Dec we spent every port day and most sea days in shorts, the exceptions being the few times it was windy or rainy.  Temps were in the 70's and 80's.  The complimentary laundry and relaxed dress code allows you to pack less saving space for a few warmer items if you desire,  

DW loves to tour while I do not.  She was pretty well satisfied with the included tours.  I enjoyed the boat tours, especially Bora Bora where the guides jumped overboard to interact with the stingrays and sand sharks.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot. Sounds ideal. Were the boat tours included ones or did you branch out on your own/buy the added tour from Viking

Packing is as planned which is great to get reassurance. We can do rain, we have webbed feet living here 😂

On 6/10/2024 at 5:39 PM, Ready to Sail! said:

If you snorkel, this itinerary (not Viking)was some of the best we have ever done, and we've snorkeled in Hawaii a lot.  We also had several on board shows but again, we were on another line.  Sounds like Viking does a good job.  Also, this is the best way to see Polynesia, from a ship. Spectacular views from the ship but in our opinion when on land, just another island.  There was a great open market in the Papeete port, if still there. My sister-in-law and I bought beautiful tropical flowers to bring back for our cabins.  Sorry, I got a bit off subject but this was 20 years ago and still ranks very high on favorite cruises list.  Have fun! 

Great idea to bring tropical flowers back to enjoy on sea days that follow!  

We like to look for highly recommended tours separate from those the ship offers. CC and Trip Advisor are huge help with that. Main advantage is smaller groups and often able to see more of exactly what we want.  We'll be at each port very long days so no worry about making it back in time.  Thanks everyone for this conversation! 

One time through offered a small group (12) helmet dive.  Never seen so much sea life.  Walking on the bottom in approx. 15' water and like being in a well stocked aquarium.  I would put it in the easy to moderate class.  Highly recommend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

One time through offered a small group (12) helmet dive.  Never seen so much sea life.  Walking on the bottom in approx. 15' water and like being in a well stocked aquarium.  I would put it in the easy to moderate class.  Highly recommend.

Which reminds me we did snorkel with sharks!  I was really alarmed at first but turns out they were from a friendly tribe.  And yes, I did take this picture with cheapy underwater camera.    

199.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Which reminds me we did snorkel with sharks!  I was really alarmed at first but turns out they were from a friendly tribe.  And yes, I did take this picture with cheapy underwater camera.    

199.jpg

Always referred to as "harmless black-tip sharks" in every cruise line brochure 😈. Generally they are small and well fed (not on tourists), so are usually quite placid. It was always the barracuda, hovering just at the edge of underwater vision, that bothered me! 🍺🥌

image.thumb.png.8550d5ae296f55b30222ce8e426747cd.png

Edited by CurlerRob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Always referred to as "harmless black-tip sharks" in every cruise line brochure 😈. Generally they are small and well fed (not on tourists), so are usually quite placid. It was always the barracuda, hovering just at the edge of underwater vision, that bothered me! 🍺🥌

image.thumb.png.8550d5ae296f55b30222ce8e426747cd.png

That would be right.  I always forget so asked my husband and that is what he said also.  The picture makes it look bigger than it was also.  The tour operator quickly assured us they were harmless. Your picture is better than mine.  I do have some really good stingray pictures. I think we snorkeled at three different islands and each was a little different but certainly some beautiful fish.  

Just now, Ready to Sail! said:

That would be right.  I always forget so asked my husband and that is what he said also.  The picture makes it look bigger than it was also.  The tour operator quickly assured us they were harmless. Your picture is better than mine.  I do have some really good stingray pictures. I think we snorkeled at three different islands and each was a little different but certainly some beautiful fish.  

I should add the sharks were not there as first so I think they came in to check us out.  Guess they like to snorkel too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Baron Barracuda - Don't know if you are still following this thread, but how many bottles of sun-tan lotion did you decide were enough?🙂  Seriously, would be helpful to know along with suggestions for a reef safe brand.  Thanks for your previous posts!

On 6/11/2024 at 8:27 AM, Mike07 said:

Thanks for the information in this thread m in considering this itinerary but kind of concerned that Hawaii has little to no interest to me.

Aloha. As someone who lives in both Hawaii and New York all I can say is ouch lol.  That said seriously there are many itineraries which sail only to Polynesia and the South Pacific.  We have been blessed to sail many times. Just be aware of the rainy seasons when you plan. Smooth sailing.

16 hours ago, OBX Cruisers said:

Baron Barracuda - Don't know if you are still following this thread, but how many bottles of sun-tan lotion did you decide were enough?🙂  Seriously, would be helpful to know along with suggestions for a reef safe brand.  Thanks for your previous posts!

HINT: if you want to specifically "talk" to Baron Barracuda, click on the @ symbol and start typing the name Baron, etc. A drop-down box will appear with choices for that name as you start typing. Click on the name that you want and the Baron will get a notification that you used his name.

3 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. As someone who lives in both Hawaii and New York all I can say is ouch lol. 

Are you native Hawaiian? If so, I love your state. But, every time I go to Hawaii now, I feel like it's a slap in the face to the natives that live there.

2 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Are you native Hawaiian? If so, I love your state. But, every time I go to Hawaii now, I feel like it's a slap in the face to the natives that live there.

Aloha. No. Born and raised in Manhattan.  Had a condo in Florida but  met too many NY friends there lol. Sold the condo and bought in Honolulu. Rent one and live in the other part of the year. No regrets. Love the people and the weather. Travel back and forth around every six weeks.  It has a lot of problems just like every place else and I agree with the native Hawaiian people being taken advantage of. That is why we like Honolulu. Reminds me of Manhattan while at the same time I respect the native born.  Twenty years now and love it every day. All the best 

• Like 1

I'm here !!!

Thanks to senioritis can't remember exactly how many spray cans of lotion we went through in 33 days.  Believe it was around 8 of the WalMart spf 30 and  50 (highly rated for quality and value by Consumer Reports).  Temps were in 80's throughout.  Know we didn't use any lotion during our 21 sea days.  Used outdoor pool often (never more than 6 people in it) but roof was often closed.  Hope this helps.

17 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Correction:  dw just reminded me that we did use lotion before visiting the pool on sea days.  Total was still around 8 spray cans for 33 days.

At first I thought 8 cans was insane, but then I started mathing and realized two people, most, if not every day over 33 days is definitely reasonable to hit 8 cans. Even if you're reapplying too often, I'd rather waste money on sunscreen than having to waste time and money at the dermatologist.

On 6/23/2024 at 9:18 PM, Mike07 said:

At first I thought 8 cans was insane, but then I started mathing and realized two people, most, if not every day over 33 days is definitely reasonable to hit 8 cans. Even if you're reapplying too often, I'd rather waste money on sunscreen than having to waste time and money at the dermatologist.

We actually brought a dozen cans with us.  Thanks to onboard laundry there was no need to overpack so had room and I preferred to pay the Walmart price over whatever they were charging aboard ship or in islands.  A good chunk of one of our two suitcases was taken up by sun screen and otc meds that we fortunately didn't need.

• Like 1