Travel Agents vs DIY Alaska

MtnSeaGirl

Posted (edited)

I have read several comments on how some cruisers prefer to use a TA; some book everything themselves.  Some say their TA has better pricing than DIY; some say it is pretty much the same.  That made DH and I begin to hunt and peck around to see if a TA outside our little town has better rates and more knowledge about Alaska.  ( DH said I knew more from reading Cruise Critic than the locsl TA did when he met with him about our Alaska trip so this is not good ) We live in the Eastern part of the country. We were thinking maybe reaching out to Richmond to find a better informed TA.   In DH's search he found a TA in the Vegas area who has really good prices and said they get those prices as they book a ton of West Coast and Alaska trips.  DH did a Google customer review search, and they had good reviews.  Where else can we go to get confirmation of integrity?  I was always told if it is too good to be true, it is too good to be true. 

Edited by MtnSeaGirl

7 minutes ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

I have read several comments on how some cruisers prefer to use a TA; some book everything themselves.  Some say their TA has better pricing than DIY; some say it is pretty much the same.  That made DH and I begin to hunt and peck around to see if a TA outside our little town has better rates and more knowledge about Alaska.  ( DH said I knew more from reading Cruise Critic than the locsl TA did when he met with him about our Alaska trip so this is not good ) We live in the Eastern part of the country. We were thinking maybe reaching out to Richmond to find a better informed TA.   In DH's search he found a TA in the Vegas area who has really good prices and said they get those prices as they book a ton of West Coast and Alaska trips.  DH did a Google customer review search, and they had good reviews.  Where else can we go to get confirmation of integrity?  I was always told if it is too good to be true, it is too good to be true.  I don't want to break any rules but let me try this:    P_ _ _ _ _ _  E Travel.  

We are not allowed to name or discuss travel agents on Cruise Critic. Why feel you need to try to sneak by the rules?

So...the question in the original post remains, Where else can I go to obtain intergrity ( legit and not scamming ) on TAs other than Google customer reviews that can be made up?    I don't feel this is discussing TAs other than asking a sincere question.  TY for your help.  

We always booked vacations independently based on research had recently found a TA via a reference. Starting sos but I do my own research so I know what y best price is…so far I’ve gotten OBC I couldn’t get on my own.  In Alaska (been before) we are hiking in every port because frankly we have bears, deer, moose at home and we’ve seen all sorts of ocean creatures so we are good to go it alone, cheap, etc. If I lived in a more isolated part of the country I’d maybe want to use a TA for “more.”

• Like 1

IMHO TA's are for people that either don't have time or just don't want to do the research. There is a ton of good info out there between this website and other "trip" related ones as well as the actual cruise websites. They may or may not be able to save you a few bucks but it won't be a lot over what you could do if you put in a little time. Remember there ultimate goal is to make money no neccasarily save you money. You really need to start watching prices as soon as you decide to go and once you book keep watching them. I was able to knock $600 off my original booked price by keeping an eye on it. Good luck and sorry I couldn't help you with your actual question.

My experience so far is that TA cost more and I can’t stand having to wait on them to do something when I could do it myself. So I would say if your going to use a TA make sure they awnser promptly to questions.

3 hours ago, Stevepcb64 said:

IMHO TA's are for people that either don't have time or just don't want to do the research. There is a ton of good info out there between this website and other "trip" related ones as well as the actual cruise websites. They may or may not be able to save you a few bucks but it won't be a lot over what you could do if you put in a little time. Remember there ultimate goal is to make money no neccasarily save you money. You really need to start watching prices as soon as you decide to go and once you book keep watching them. I was able to knock $600 off my original booked price by keeping an eye on it. Good luck and sorry I couldn't help you with your actual question.

I am very well traveled. I also use a TA. 99% of the time, I know what I want when I contact my TA. She saves me money over booking direct (she rebates part of her commission to me). Though that isn't the reason I use her. When everything goes great - one may not see a value in a travel agent. When things go wrong - that is when you realize your travel agent's weight in gold. Mine has high connections with all the cruise lines and can easily get a hold of someone if necessary. All the cruise line VP's know her. Plus, if I am speaking up for myself with the cruise line, I am just one person. My agent sells millions with several cruise lines each year. They want to keep her happy. If they lose me, no big deal. If they lose a travel agent who books more cruises with them than 99% of other travel agents, they are going to jump through hoops to fix the issue and make her happy.

On 6/10/2024 at 6:01 PM, MtnSeaGirl said:

So...the question in the original post remains, Where else can I go to obtain intergrity ( legit and not scamming ) on TAs other than Google customer reviews that can be made up?    I don't feel this is discussing TAs other than asking a sincere question.  TY for your help.  

I would strongly recommend you attend a CC gathering on your cruise. Ask fellow (well traveled) agents for their agents name and then contact them for your next cruise.

2 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

My experience so far is that TA cost more and I can’t stand having to wait on them to do something when I could do it myself. So I would say if your going to use a TA make sure they awnser promptly to questions.

If using an agent is costing you more - you definitely are using the wrong agent. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Coral said:

If using an agent is costing you more - you definitely are using the wrong agent. 

Unfortunately it’s not my choice. The cruise itself isn’t more but the hotel is over 100$ more per night when booked with the TA. This is part of a big company but a local person. My uncle insists on using an agent. It’s causing me so much anxiety to not have control and to have to settle on things because of her.

31 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Unfortunately it’s not my choice. The cruise itself isn’t more but the hotel is over 100$ more per night when booked with the TA. This is part of a big company but a local person. My uncle insists on using an agent. It’s causing me so much anxiety to not have control and to have to settle on things because of her.

I know when hotels are booked through the cruise line, they are often more expensive. I am guessing that is the situation here. Especially in Vancouver and Alaska.

I guess I don't have anxiety when using my agent as I trust her. She has known me since the late 90's. 

I hope everything works out for you and you can enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive used a TA for years. You don't have to book your hotels through the TA, I never do. My TA tracks sales. If my cruise goes down in price, she lets me know. Usually I then get a better cabin. She keeps track of up sales and we have a prearranged deal so she knows to just grab a cabin and at what price point so she doesn't lose time trying to reach me. She knows the differences between the lines. If something goes south, she is there to advocate for me. 

On 6/11/2024 at 6:35 PM, SoloAlaska said:

Simple solutions - either do not cruise w your uncle or go with him but book the cruise on your own and let him do whatever he wants to do.

DON

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Simple solutions - either do not cruise w your uncle or go with him but book the cruise on your own and let him do whatever he wants to do.

DON

We have found some compromises. This is the last chance for a big family trip since my grandmother is 84. We are learning from each others experiences. He can’t believe the deals I get and I’m learning that I get anxious when giving up so much control. No matter what we will enjoy the cruise. We will be doing a mix of private and cruise line excursions. Private is easier with my grandmother but cruise line is better for my cousins who aren’t big travelers. There’s something for everyone and it’s all about discovering what works best for you.

28 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

We have found some compromises. This is the last chance for a big family trip since my grandmother is 84. We are learning from each others experiences. He can’t believe the deals I get and I’m learning that I get anxious when giving up so much control. No matter what we will enjoy the cruise. We will be doing a mix of private and cruise line excursions. Private is easier with my grandmother but cruise line is better for my cousins who aren’t big travelers. There’s something for everyone and it’s all about discovering what works best for you.

If you are using the right agent - one doesn't get anxious about giving up control and one can still get amazing deals. 

When something goes wrong - it helps to have a professional on your side. You will find that most of the well traveled individuals use agents. It shouldn't cost you any more and they should save you money and time.

I also book a combination of excursions privately and through the cruise line. It depends on the excursion.

I also use a CPA for taxes and a lawyer for legal issues.