Celebrity Retreat vs MSC Yacht Club: A Live Perspective

28 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Only time I have found the lounge crowded is the night of the Sr Officers Soiree and debarkation morning.  Luminae on Edge & Apex can can feel very crowded and noisey.  We don't get the same feel in Luminae  on Beyond. 

To the extent its a discussion about Edge class Luminaes....We enjoyed the atmosphere in Luminae on Edge and Apex primarily when we were seated in the small room near the host stand. 

We did not enjoy the room as much on Beyond during the Easter cruise.  We did not care for the seating configurations as many were oval banquettes and set up for large groups.  There is also no smaller room.  Rather, the front area is a bottleneck with a feeling of being in an orchestra pit, and the side area has many seats with a prominent view of the glass enclosed wine fridges with the fingerprints. (I can't imagine the wine bottles are that special, too).

FWIW, we felt the kitchen on Apex April 2023 was stronger than Beyond March - April 2024. Both Easter.    

As for sailing on Easter, it's been crowded, but many times Retreat is sold out.  The spaces are definitely at capacity.  

I'd also add that no amount of times the maitre d checked on things or the mia head waiter (not friendly) on Beyond made the food or experience any better.  E.g., steamed frozen broccoli was the same regardless, anything from classics was made out to be a stretch.  On Apex Yuksel and his Headwaiter Marius, and our waiter team were hustling and food was better, and less of a hassle. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I guess you didn't dine in Luminae at all. The venue is easily 3-4x the size of Luminae on M-class and probably twice as loud. It's much closer to a MDR experience than the intimate feel you get on other classes. This is the "sophie's choice" I was trying to describe upthread. If one wants a sundeck with a pool, you have to deal with the frenzied dining experience.

Other than Chef's Table & Le Voyage, it was always Luminae for dinner.

Cannot compare to M-class as we have only sailed Retreat on Beyond.

We never found Luminae to be too crowded to get in & did not notice noise.

Perhaps not so sensitive--I cannot recall noise in a dining room to ever be an issue on any ship.

12 minutes ago, KKB said:

Cannot compare to M-class as we have only sailed Retreat on Beyond.

We never found Luminae to be too crowded to get in & did not notice noise.

Understood. Though I've not sailed Beyond, to me the difference between Luminae on M-class and Edge was substantial. Almost enough to make the Edge Luminae dining experience no better than the MDR.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Understood. Though I've not sailed Beyond, to me the difference between Luminae on M-class and Edge was substantial. Almost enough to make the Edge Luminae dining experience no better than the MDR.

We find the MDR food & service very good on Eclass so I would agree.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Agree we really like Edge class because of outdoor retreat and superior entertainment, but Luminae was mediocre compared to M class , our Edge experience was better than our beyond experience, possibly because we were in penthouse on Edge , never had to return a dish on M class Luminae. But Luminae was definitely better pre Covid . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KKB said:

rushing elevators when they opened (ignoring those there waiting before & those getting off), etc.

Our last cruise was a Japan cruise on Celebrity.  On two occasions I had female passengers step right in front of me as I was trying to exit the elevator.  Both times I just stood there blocking them while passengers behind me on the elevator go off.  They did not even bother to say excuse me, in whatever language they spoke.  We just glared at each other until they went around me after others had gotten off. 

That is one common courtesy that just irritates me to no end.  Wait for people to get off before getting on elevators. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Our last cruise was a Japan cruise on Celebrity.  On two occasions I had female passengers step right in front of me as I was trying to exit the elevator.  Both times I just stood there blocking them while passengers behind me on the elevator go off.  They did not even bother to say excuse me, in whatever language they spoke.  We just glared at each other until they went around me after others had gotten off. 

That is one common courtesy that just irritates me to no end.  Wait for people to get off before getting on elevators. 

That might be a cultural difference depending on where those female passengers were from. Try queueing up to get on a local bus in Greece and see how that works out for you. My point is, don't be irritated, be educated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cap_D said:

On Apex Yuksel and his Headwaiter Marius, and our waiter team were hustling and food was better, and less of a hassle. 

Both Yuksel and Marius are stars.  Not only do they take care of all their guests but they seem to do it effortlessly and are both really nice guys too.  

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

That might be a cultural difference depending on where those female passengers were from. Try queueing up to get on a local bus in Greece and see how that works out for you. My point is, don't be irritated, be educated.

I will always wait for people to get off first and have no problem pushing past people who try to enter when I am trying to get off , I have had extensive experience with this after riding the New York City subway for more than a decade . Being 6’ 4” and currently 270 pounds doesn’t hurt , although I was about a hundred pounds less when I started to ride the subway.

• Haha 1

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with Celebrity Retreat and MSC YC!

While we have enjoyed sailing on Celebrity and eating in Blu, we will perhaps soon be ready to try MSC YC especially when they begin sailing out of Galveston.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxkite said:

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with Celebrity Retreat and MSC YC!

While we have enjoyed sailing on Celebrity and eating in Blu, we will perhaps soon be ready to try MSC YC especially when they begin sailing out of Galveston.

You're welcome - and a special picture just for you from this most recent cruise...

I taught Rebel, the performers in the main theater on night 1, a special salute! 

(they made me promise they wouldn't get cancelled...I told them only by a few folks down in Texas)

Screenshot_20240605_085918_Gallery.thumb.jpg.35a5765d5f2a6dfc4773bcfb289d9708.jpg

• Like 1