Check for cancelled Covid cruise???

I received a check in the mail yesterday that appears to be from Carnival and the reason line says Refund of Cancelled Covid Cruise. Ive never seen/heard of them issuing checks, and its been years since Covid cancelled our cruise. I thought they only did future cruise credit and gift card refunds. Anyone else get a check like this recently? Due to all the scams out there Im leaning toward this is not legit.

As a side note, we did have 2 cruises cancelled by Covid but the funds were just put toward a cruise the next year.

There have been a couple of other posts recently regarding same.  There apparently have been checks issued, do a search on the site for subject matter and you should get the recent posts.  

I wonder why a check recipient doesn't call Carnival and ask where the money came from. I'll theorize that some future cruise credits expired, and Carnival, being overly generous, decided to refund the money instead of keeping it.

My humblest apologies for not searching the forum first. And my sincere thanks for those that answered in a non snarky manner.

When my cruise was cancelled for Covid, my PVP rolled everything over to a new cruise and added OBC with leftover. When THAT cruise was cancelled, same thing. I should have had no money leftover but oh well, will always take free money. My cruise next year isnt CCL but this will certainly help with that payoff!

I would want to hear it from Carnival that this was legitimate before cashing the check. I've heard of scams where legitimate looking checks are mailed and when they are cashed they are rejected for insufficient funds, but the issuer of the check then has the account info for the account where the check was cashed. 

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

I would want to hear it from Carnival that this was legitimate before cashing the check. I've heard of scams where legitimate looking checks are mailed and when they are cashed they are rejected for insufficient funds, but the issuer of the check then has the account info for the account where the check was cashed. 

It's legit.  I've been waiting since April for a check related to funds I put on cruises that were canceled.  When I called back after 30 days, I was told they were working from oldest to newest with sending out Covid checks.  

• Like 2