Celebrity Xploration and Xpedition To Be No More

Posted (edited)

Thanks for posting.  The fact that Xpedition and Xploration did not have their 2026 seasons posted while Flora did made some people concerned that this might happen.  I didn't think it would.  

We sailed on Xpedition last November and really enjoyed it--especially because she was only licensed to carry half the passengers that she was built to house.

Edited by mahdnc

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, user32746 said:

Disappointed as really wanted to go on the Xpedition.  They give some options on going on the Flora, have to see. 

image.png.2245c637d9c0339261d741717ddb4e6c.png

What are the other options?

Edited by mahdnc

After looking at the different loops, we wanted to do the Northern Loop.   Only see Inner and Outer as choices for the Flora.  No idea now which of those two to choose. 

Here are the options:

image.png.9c4db28aeb253da4900d1a1e83a3a3c3.png image.png.a1ce1ccdcafde6a1df7053d4b19278d8.png

11 minutes ago, user32746 said:

After looking at the different loops, we wanted to do the Northern Loop.   Only see Inner and Outer as choices for the Flora.  No idea now which of those two to choose. 

Here are the options:

image.png.9c4db28aeb253da4900d1a1e83a3a3c3.png image.png.a1ce1ccdcafde6a1df7053d4b19278d8.png

Getting a Flora at Xpedition/Xploration prices would be suite.

• Haha 1

I feel sorry for everyone who did not get to go on the Xpedition and is being pushed to the Flora. Xpedition was the best Galapagos experience offered by Celebrity. It's now pretty much guaranteed that our next Galapagos cruise will be on the different line now.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

I feel sorry for everyone who did not get to go on the Xpedition and is being pushed to the Flora. Xpedition was the best Galapagos experience offered by Celebrity. It's now pretty much guaranteed that our next Galapagos cruise will be on the different line now.

Actually I am more concerned about Captain Nathaly Alban who was the master first on Xploration and now Xpedition.  

1 minute ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I am booked in Xpedition July 2025 and haven’t received anything.  Reached out to my TA.  We do not have flexibility as I’m a teacher so hoping they can get us on something…ugh…

So hopefully they can transfer your booking over to Flora for the same week?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

So hopefully they can transfer your booking over to Flora for the same week?

I hope so but will have to wait to hear from my TA.  I emailed her.  If I can get a balcony room on flora for the same price I will be content although disappointed it’s on Flora.

4 hours ago, user32746 said:

The Northern Loop is very similar to the Inner loop. If there were any specific ports you were looking at though, check the itineraries. 

50 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The Northern Loop is very similar to the Inner loop. If there were any specific ports you were looking at though, check the itineraries. 

Thank you. We've already moved to a Flora Inner Loop. Having a Royal suite worked out even though it did not map directly to a Royal suite on the Flora.  And thank you for the posts of your Xpedition cruise, enjoyed it tremendously. 

• Like 1

I've had my eye on a Galapagos cruise (particularly with a Machu Picchu extension), but they're so prohibitively expensive (especially as a solo cruiser) that I never entertain the thought for more than a few minutes of browsing itineraries. I doubt getting rid of 2 of their 3 ships is going to help that price tag ever look a little bit better 😬

• Like 1

Very glad we booked our Flora Galapagos cruise while onboard Silhouette last week. We were interested in comparing with Xpedition but since it wasn’t released and all Flora bookings are fully refundable until final payment we had time to wait to see what the new pricing would be on Xpedition when they were finally released. Glad we have the cabins we want now…I’m sure prices will only go up.
Hopefully all those who are impacted find a suitable replacement. 

• Like 2

My TA has been in touch with Celebrity and it sounds like Lindblad is buying those two ships and the crew.  My sailing is not canceled but I can move to Flora.  Little bit of a quandary on what to do…will need to speak with DH as well.

1 minute ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

My TA has been in touch with Celebrity and it sounds like Lindblad is buying those two ships and the crew.  My sailing is not canceled but I can move to Flora.  Little bit of a quandary on what to do…will need to speak with DH as well.

We were just on the Flora in December (see Live From in signature area) and it was awesome. If Celebrity is not going to charge you extra, I would highly recommend accepting the switch regardless of the cabin category. We have cruised on both the Xpedition (2015) and the Flora, and there is no comparison. The Flora is just an awesome expedition ship and so are the zodiacs they use to take you to/from shore.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So the real question is - did Celebrity sell the licenses too? Lindblad currently sails on the National Geograpihc ships. Those licenses are worth gold. I wouldn't hesitate to sail to the Galapagos with Lindblad on the Xpedition. Flora holds no attraction for me after being on Xpedition twice. Infinite verandas are a huge design mistake.

Edited by sippican
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, sippican said:

So the real question is - did Celebrity sell the licenses too? Lindblad currently sails on the National Geograpihc ships. Those licenses are worth gold. I wouldn't hesitate to sail to the Galapagos with Lindblad on the Xpedition. Flora holds no attraction for me after being on Xpedition twice. Infinite verandas are a huge design mistake.

Lindblad characterized the sale as an expansion of their Galapagos fleet and that they were going to make a large investment to renovate the two ships.  So I assumed that the licenses were sold along with the ships. 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Lindblad characterized the sale as an expansion of their Galapagos fleet.  So I assumed that the licenses were sold along with the ships. 

How exciting! I feel they are much more adept at keeping the expedition feel of a Galapagos Cruise. Have always felt they were a little out of their league here.

Edited by sippican

15 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Lindblad characterized the sale as an expansion of their Galapagos fleet and that they were going to make a large investment to renovate the two ships.  So I assumed that the licenses were sold along with the ships. 

I’m really not sure what to do…I’m concerned that a sale and potential renovation MAY disrupt sailings then what?! But, I love the small ship idea…ugh…

21 minutes ago, sippican said:

I have an Edge cruise in an IV in July do I don’t know how I feel about them yet….there’s the rest of the package (hotel, flights) and how Lindblad will carry that out.