Celebrity Xploration and Xpedition To Be No More

1 minute ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I’m really not sure what to do…I’m concerned that a sale and potential renovation MAY disrupt sailings then what?! But, I love the small ship idea…ugh…

It certainly won't disrupt any sailings while under Celebrity ownership, so you can't be worried about that?

35 minutes ago, sippican said:

So the real question is - did Celebrity sell the licenses too? Lindblad currently sails on the National Geograpihc ships. Those licenses are worth gold. I wouldn't hesitate to sail to the Galapagos with Lindblad on the Xpedition. Flora holds no attraction for me after being on Xpedition twice. Infinite verandas are a huge design mistake.

We’re booked on Flora with an actual veranda..not an IV. I’m confused as to why Flora holds no appeal for you. 🤔

• Like 3

Wow! That really limits options for Galapagos with Celebrity. With RCCL stock doing the best of all cruise lines it would be great if a 2nd Flora could be built. 

After viewing the last PUP, Galapagos was on my radar. Will have to rethink as there is a huge price difference between Flora and Xpedition that is a bit rich for my blood!

We are now locked out.  Back in August 2023 I booked 2 cabins on the Jan 4 2025 sailing. The comparable Flora sailing date is mow sold out in our class and they will not upgrade unless we pay the new fare which is about double. We can't go backward to December because that is a holiday week and we can't go forward a week because my daughter will be in school.  Then we can't book the Expedition in the allowable 2024 weeks because the available cabins are also sold out of the class allowed.  We have no choice but to cancel,

31 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We’re booked on Flora with an actual veranda..not an IV. I’m confused as to why Flora holds no appeal for you. 🤔

Smart move! It's an awesome cabin as well as being the cheapest cabin. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, CarolGS said:

We are now locked out.  Back in August 2023 I booked 2 cabins on the Jan 4 2025 sailing. The comparable Flora sailing date is mow sold out in our class and they will not upgrade unless we pay the new fare which is about double. We can't go backward to December because that is a holiday week and we can't go forward a week because my daughter will be in school.  Then we can't book the Expedition in the allowable 2024 weeks because the available cabins are also sold out of the class allowed.  We have no choice but to cancel,

I am very disappointed for you.  Sorry that happened.  I am sure there will be quite a few passengers that will have difficulty in finding a suitable date.  For something like this (a business decision within Celebrity's control) I wish they would offer compensation for those that are forced to cancel such as yourselves.

Edited by mahdnc

1 hour ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

My TA has been in touch with Celebrity and it sounds like Lindblad is buying those two ships and the crew.  My sailing is not canceled but I can move to Flora.  Little bit of a quandary on what to do…will need to speak with DH as well.

When is your sailing?  We're on December 7, and maybe, if we can move we should.  What would an Expedition suite get us, I wonder.

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

it would be great if a 2nd Flora could be built. 

Celebrity originally had ordered two Floras but did not have the license to operate it in the Galapagos. It affected their other Galapagos ships too. Silversea purchased the ship and named it the Silver Origin. Similar to the Flora with a different cabin configuration.

I would not be surprised if Celebrity pulls out of the Galapagos market at some point in the future. It is their only expedition sailing, whereas Silversea has many expedition sailings. Celebrity is becoming more focused on 7 night high profit cruises and not the variety of sailings that one finds on Princess, HAL, and others. Time will tell...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Celebrity originally had ordered two Floras but did not have the license to operate it in the Galapagos. It affected their other Galapagos ships too. Silversea purchased the ship and named it the Silver Origin. Similar to the Flora with a different cabin configuration.

I would not be surprised if Celebrity pulls out of the Galapagos market at some point in the future. It is their only expedition sailing, whereas Silversea has many expedition sailings. Celebrity is becoming more focused on 7 night high profit cruises and not the variety of sailings that one finds on Princess, HAL, and others. Time will tell...

Interesting thinking, and I'm not sure you're wrong.  I'm glad that we have our December Xpedition sailing, which we will do.  

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

It certainly won't disrupt any sailings while under Celebrity ownership, so you can't be worried about that?

If Lindblad is buying the licenses but is going to renovate the ships what if it impacts the sailing that we are on?  I know this is probably crazy talk but I want a guarantee.

1 hour ago, abbydancer2003 said:

When is your sailing?  We're on December 7, and maybe, if we can move we should.  What would an Expedition suite get us, I wonder.

We have an expedition suite as well…July 2025 on Xpedition. We can go to an IV sky suite on flora….but….those seem to be more than a verandah so I’m waiting to hear back. DH wants a verandah which for that $ I totally appreciate. 

30 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

If Lindblad is buying the licenses but is going to renovate the ships what if it impacts the sailing that we are on?  I know this is probably crazy talk but I want a guarantee.

I’m not sure if I understand the concern. Celebrity will sail both ships until the end of this year. They will then be sold to Lindblad in 2025 and then renovated. If you are on a 2024 sailing, you are good.

8 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I’m not sure if I understand the concern. Celebrity will sail both ships until the end of this year. They will then be sold to Lindblad in 2025 and then renovated. If you are on a 2024 sailing, you are good.

That's my take unless I hear otherwise.  We were originally going in October (moved twice to there) and then we got the Save the Date card for a family wedding, right in the middle.  Our first thought was to move it to 2025, but December of 2024 was a lot cheaper.  Glad now we did that.

20 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

That's my take unless I hear otherwise.  We were originally going in October (moved twice to there) and then we got the Save the Date card for a family wedding, right in the middle.  Our first thought was to move it to 2025, but December of 2024 was a lot cheaper.  Glad now we did that.

Hopefully Celebrity winds things down in a manner where the onboard experience of the final cruises is not compromised.  The wildlife will be there regardless for sure. 

3 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

it would be great if a 2nd Flora could be built.

It was planned (as the Fauna of course), but Celebrity could not secure the required license so that ship became the Silver Origin.

1 hour ago, abbydancer2003 said:

We are 2025 so I feel that’s a bit more tenuous..

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

We are July 2025!

We are July 2025!

The letter that appears in the first post makes it clear that there are no 2025 Celebrity sailings for Xpedition and Xploration.  Do you not see it that way or am I missing something (which is always quite possible).

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

The letter that appears in the first post makes it clear that there are no 2025 Celebrity sailings for Xpedition and Xploration.  Do you not see it that way or am I missing something (which is always quite possible).

Sounds like the sailings are honored but on Lindblad (according to TA.)

I was not aware of that arrangement.  That explains your concern.  I am not sure how that works when your sailing is honored.  Did you buy a cruise tour package or just cruise only from Celebrity?

2 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I should add we can switch to flora or stay with the booked sailing…

I know everyone's tastes are different.  For me, I would hastily transfer my booking over to Flora because it's a very good deal.  It's a no-brainer to me to switch (I know there are some that prefer Xpedition, but that's no longer an option 2025.  

I would have major questions on whether I was getting the same value if I allowed my booking to transfer to Lindblad.  I could be wrong about that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Hopefully Celebrity winds things down in a manner where the onboard experience of the final cruises is not compromised.  The wildlife will be there regardless for sure. 

Fortunately, (hopefully) we're 4 weeks before the last cruise, so hopefully business as usual.

• Like 1

How much did these ships sell for?  Were they advertised for sale?  I did not see them on yacht world, but I did see two listings for Millennium-class vessels.  

I know this is old news.  A “Price Drop” designation is next to the price on both listings.  One is priced at US $150 Million while the other is $125 Million.  I wonder if these listings still have any relevance with regard to Celebrity’s evolving fleet.  

Coincidentally the keel-laying ceremony for Xcel took place today.