New To Cunard Obstructed View Balcony Or Sheltered Balcony

janny444

I have cruised many times with different cruises lines but never with Cunard. Considering a cruise in March down to Lisbon.... which would be the better choice ....an obstructed view balcony....possibly 8036 or a sheltered balcony ?

11 minutes ago, janny444 said:

I have cruised many times with different cruises lines but never with Cunard. Considering a cruise in March down to Lisbon.... which would be the better choice ....an obstructed view balcony....possibly 8036 or a sheltered balcony ?

The Sheltered Balconies are located on Deck 4 thru 6 and the Cabin 8036 according to the Deck Plan is located on Deck 8 which is known for Obstructed Ocean Views depending the Cabin placement. The obstructions are the Tenders and Lifeboats stored at the Deck 8 level.

Maybe someone can report their experiences on Deck 8. I know many report their experiences of a Sheltered which is a different type of cabin. Sort of enclosed balcony which others will explain.

Hope you are happy with your choice.

Definitely a sheltered balcony.   You still get a view, it does make the view a little darker in the cabin compared to a standard balcony (unobstructed), but if you have obstructed at least some portion of your view will be obscured.  My last trip on the QM2 was a sheltered and I'd have no hesitation sailing again, but I'd avoid an obstructed.  Iif you are going in March an obstructed balcony might suffer if the weather is not so good, whereas a sheltered can give more protection for when the weather is bad, so I think they are a good option overall.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2024 at 1:56 PM, richard_london said:

Definitely a sheltered balcony.   You still get a view, it does make the view a little darker in the cabin compared to a standard balcony (unobstructed), but if you have obstructed at least some portion of your view will be obscured.  My last trip on the QM2 was a sheltered and I'd have no hesitation sailing again, but I'd avoid an obstructed.  Iif you are going in March an obstructed balcony might suffer if the weather is not so good, whereas a sheltered can give more protection for when the weather is bad, so I think they are a good option overall.

On a sunny day, light reflecting off the lifeboats gives the cabin an orange glow. I definitely prefer the sheltered balcony to obstructed.

• Like 2