Do Queen Anne britannia staterooms have magnetic walls?

I plan to wash and hang dry cotton clothing during our cruise to avoid overpacking for our three-week trip. I've seen a travel clothing line online which I could place on some magnetic hooks across the stateroom, assuming the walls are magnetic and would allow for this. I know the bathrooms have a retractable clothing line, but it seems small, and frankly I'd prefer to just launder weekly and dry all the clothing at once as opposed to a few articles of clothing a day. 

Would magnetic hooks work in Queen Anne staterooms?

And, has anyone had any issues flying internationally with magnets? I'm considering bringing a couple of these 40lb hooks: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTYBHYD8/?coliid=IK0GTDFJMG0WS&colid=3QNNSTJ7YHSP4&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Posted (edited)

Rather confused why you want to put up a clothing line 'Across' your stateroom' There is a pull-out line specifically (on all Cunard ships in the shower area ) for the use of drying off washing.

How much washing do you intend to do, there are Dryers available in the self service laundry . Are you serious you'd  hang up washing ( across your stateroom)  to be dried off , which may take at least 12 hours  

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

I plan to wash and hang dry cotton clothing during our cruise to avoid overpacking for our three-week trip. I've seen a travel clothing line online which I could place on some magnetic hooks across the stateroom, assuming the walls are magnetic and would allow for this. I know the bathrooms have a retractable clothing line, but it seems small, and frankly I'd prefer to just launder weekly and dry all the clothing at once as opposed to a few articles of clothing a day. 

Would magnetic hooks work in Queen Anne staterooms?

And, has anyone had any issues flying internationally with magnets? I'm considering bringing a couple of these 40lb hooks: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTYBHYD8/?coliid=IK0GTDFJMG0WS&colid=3QNNSTJ7YHSP4&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Someone will confirm specifically for Queen Anne, but as far as I know all reasonably modern cruise ships have magnetic walls and ceilings.

We have a thin bungee cord washing line that we can stretch across the balcony (as far from the railing as possible), which might help if you get reasonable weather. The cord has hooks at each end and we find something to catch it on at each side. To secure garments to the line in the wind we use sewing pegs like in picture.  51BXpJWu7OL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

5 minutes ago, D&N said:

Someone will confirm specifically for Queen Anne, but as far as I know all reasonably modern cruise ships have magnetic walls and ceilings.

We have a thin bungee cord washing line that we can stretch across the balcony (as far from the railing as possible), which might help if you get reasonable weather. The cord has hooks at each end and we find something to catch it on at each side. To secure garments to the line in the wind we use sewing pegs like in picture.  51BXpJWu7OL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Posted (edited)

@abdullahhoneymoon I have not been Queen Anne yet. But I have read from others that have been on her that she does have metal walls. 

The suggestion of putting things on the Balcony to dry…. I should warn you that it is not allowed but folks still do it. 

I have flown multiple times with the magnetic hooks. Never had any issues with them being in my back pack.  I fly from the US. 

Edited by jrmende63
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Rather confused why you want to put up a clothing line 'Across' your stateroom' There is a pull-out line specifically (on all Cunard ships in the shower area ) for the use of drying off washing.

How much washing do you intend to do, there are Dryers available in the self service laundry . Are you serious you'd  hang up washing ( across your stateroom)  to be dried off , which may take at least 12 hours  

As I mentioned in the post, the clothing line in the bathroom seems small, and poorly ventilated, I might add. I fully intend to wash and hang dry clothing, since I can't afford to send every single garment to be individually laundered properly, and cotton clothing shrinks in the dryer. So yes, I am serious. I don't think anyone would choose to do laundry on their honeymoon unless they had to!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, D&N said:

Thank you for the tips! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who would anticipate having to wash for a multiple week long trip, lol.

7 minutes ago, jrmende63 said:

@abdullahhoneymoon I have not been Queen Anne yet. But I have read from others that have been on her that she does have metal walls. 

The suggestion of putting things on the Balcony to dry…. I should warn you that it is not allowed but folks still do it. 

I have flown multiple times with the magnetic hooks. Never had any issues with them being in my back pack.  I fly from the US. 

Great to know! Thank you! Yes balcony may be dicey, we shall see!

• Like 1

Hello D&N, as a seasoned Cunard cruiser as you and your wife are, I'm flabbergasted you are advocating hanging out washing on a line on your balcony. 🤦‍♂️😅

Quite often it has appeared in the daily program a caution not to hang washing out on the Balcony in the event it could go over overboard .

Not only that, to be quite honest it's rather Naff, we don't want to see your smalls   hanging across the balcony ( when in port) when we return back to the ship.  😁   

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

As I mentioned in the post, the clothing line in the bathroom seems small, and poorly ventilated, I might add. I fully intend to wash and hang dry clothing, since I can't afford to send every single garment to be individually laundered properly, and cotton clothing shrinks in the dryer. So yes, I am serious. I don't think anyone would choose to do laundry on their honeymoon unless they had to!

15 items for $50 in the laundry is good value.

13 minutes ago, david63 said:

I'm sure your cabin steward will be well impressed fighting his/her way through a line of washing whilst trying to do his job.

Does my cabin steward plan to tuck me in at night? If they managed to see my clothes line drying overnight, I'd have bigger problems to worry about!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

Those aren't the only options, there are passenger laundry rooms 

6 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Hello D&N, as a seasoned Cunard cruiser as you and your wife are, I'm flabbergasted you are advocating hanging out washing on a line on your balcony. 🤦‍♂️😅

Quite often it has appeared in the daily program a caution not to hang washing out on the Balcony in the event it could go over overboard .

Not only that, to be quite honest it's rather Naff, we don't want to see your smalls   hanging across the balcony ( when in port) when we return back to the ship.  😁   

I did ensure that it was secured so it wouldn't blow overboard. Hung low and quite near the balcony door, with lots of mini pegs on each garment. Plus we only use it for light, quick drying fabrics of gym wear as soon as we return from our workouts. There's not enough to bother taking to laundrette and we wouldn't want to let it wait for other garments to accumulate. As soon as it stops dripping the cord including clothing moves to the shower. By then it's virtually dry.

We only visit one port and last time I did leave the line out with clean dry items for a photo from the Staten Island Ferry. 🙂

And of course we're novice rather than seasoned, only having one round trip under our belts so far.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

How long is the itinerary of your Honeymoon ?  - I doubt anyone here ( myself included ) are questioning the necessity of having to visit the self service laundry ( I certainly do my self - it's another bottle  of wine in the evenings 😉)  If you are comfortable with Ducking and Diving under a Washing line in your stateroom -  then each to their own . 

3 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Those aren't the only options, there are passenger laundry rooms 

Yes of those I am aware, my only issue is I can't dry cotton clothing without risking not fitting in them for the remainder of the trip... LOL. I do plan to use the facilities myself to wash the clothes.

19 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

How long is the itinerary of your Honeymoon ?  - I doubt anyone here ( myself included ) are questioning the necessity of having to visit the self service laundry ( I certainly do my self - it's another bottle  of wine in the evenings 😉)  If you are comfortable with Ducking and Diving under a Washing line in your stateroom -  then each to their own . 

Don't worry, my unmentionables won't make a debut on the balcony!

1 hour ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

I can't dry cotton clothing without risking not fitting in them for the remainder of the trip

You are aware that it is a known fact that the sea air shrinks clothes when on a cruise.😇

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

Yes of those I am aware, my only issue is I can't dry cotton clothing without risking not fitting in them for the remainder of the trip... LOL. I do plan to use the facilities myself to wash the clothes.

I agree with hanging clothes. I bought a nice Barbour polo shirt last year and it shrunk immediately while in the dryer onboard (even at low). And no, the sea air didn’t affect my weight on that crossing…

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

I wear a lot of cotton and it doesn't shrink because I'm careful in how I use a dryer. Queen Anne's dryers are new and modern. You can use a low heat setting. They have sensor settings in addition to the traditional time settings. You can set it for "less dry" and your clothes will be slightly damp. They will finish drying on the line in the bathroom--leave the shower door open. For tees or polos, take them out of the dryer and immediately put them on hangers--I use the plastic-hangers from my garment bag. If it doesn't all fit on the line, the hangers will go on the closet doorknobs. If you time the dryer right, the clothes will be close enough to dry that they'll be ready to put away in an hour or two. 

One caution about the dryers. You can walk away from a washer because the door locks during the cycle. But you should hang around while the clothes are in the dryer. People open the dryer door to see if the clothing in it is done and then they don't restart it. Then your clothes sit in a damp heap. 

• Like 2

The washers and dryers on Annie are totally different from her sisters' facilities.

Digital and Diva'ish ['break down' every day but luckily are re programmed within an hour or two] with loads of programmes.

My suggestion was a simple 'this is what the symbols mean' laminated sheet. Then folk wouldn't do a full wash for over an hour when a quick 20 min wash is sufficient or use the low heat dryer programme and wonder why their clothes aren't dry.

When used proficiently, they are a great improvement on QV/QEs facilities.

4 hours ago, NE John said:

I agree with hanging clothes. I bought a nice Barbour polo shirt last year and it shrunk immediately while in the dryer onboard (even at low). And no, the sea air didn’t affect my weight on that crossing…

I dry my husband's polo shirts [Lacoste piqué knit] in the passenger laundrette dryer in preference to ship's laundry, take them out when still slightly damp, pull them back into full shape and hang them in a bathroom to finish. Works fine. 🙂

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

pull them back into full shape

That’s the missing piece! Thank you. I’m the chief ironer of the household. 
We have 10 days onboard and three nights beforehand in Vancouver so we gotta do some laundry. For better or worse, our Q4 is very close to the launderette on 7.