I've never done Alaska!

Posted (edited)

First time to Alaska? Take a cruise that includes Glacier Bay (Encore). 

We sail Alaska every year. It is one of our favorite cruise destinations. 

The ships are sisters, both designed for Alaska. You will get a lot of “noise” trying to compare the two. Ignore the “noise”. They are the same. 

Here’s a like to my live post from the Encore last year. We are sailing on the same itinerary this year. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

If never returning to AK, definitely take the Glacier Bay.  If you cruise AK two or three times a year, then consider the Bliss.  Siglo will be on her until August 3 and you get Spice H2O instead of Galaxy Pavillion (which might also translate into less kids on board).

Posted (edited)

We've never done Alaska, either. Probably never will. (Let the booing and hissing begin).

I know everyone raves about it, but when we cruise we don't want to have to pack rain jackets and/or parkas. We live in the Frozen Tundra. We don't need to travel to see more of it.

As with everything else, YMMV. 

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I know everyone raves about it, but when we cruise we don't want to have to pack rain jackets and/or parkas.

If you pack a parka, you're a moran. And if you don't pack a thin, light rain jacket on every cruise, you're also a moran.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

If you pack a parka, you're a moran. And if you don't pack a thin, light rain jacket on every cruise, you're also a moran.

What's a moran??

And, just so you know, we have lightweight disposable ponchos that we take on every cruise. 

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We've never done Alaska, either. Probably never will. (Let the booing and hissing begin).

I know everyone raves about it, but when we cruise we don't want to have to pack rain jackets and/or parkas. We live in the Frozen Tundra. We don't need to travel to see more of it.

As with everything else, YMMV. 

The OP is talking about a July AK cruise.  What the heck are you talking about?  I was just in AK in April, and at Icy Strait point we had to wait for DW to return to the cabin because of a jacket.  No, she didn't forget her jacket.  We just stepped off the ship and she realized that I was smart leaving my jacket in the cabin.  That was the first time in twenty years that DW realized I was smart about something.

disclaimer:  DW is a gem, and she finds ways to respect the Chief when most/all others can't. 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The OP is talking about a July AK cruise.  What the heck are you talking about? 

I'm talking about looking at ice and snow in July (or any other month).

I see enough of that stuff in the winter. I don't need to see it in summer.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I know. I'm just hoping schmoopie isn't also flummoxed by "InterWeb".

I know all about the InterWebs...and also "morans", by the way. Just giving you poop.

I post regularly on the Milwaukee Brewers fan site and every time another team has a game rained out, someone will say, "Build a roof, you morans". It's become a running joke for stupid teams that don't have a roof.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 1

As said a million times, the one with Glacier Bay. Both have the observation lounge.. recommend the thermal spa pass. Sitting on those heated loungers watching whales and how small we are in the world, is memorable. 

20 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I'm talking about looking at ice and snow in July (or any other month).

I see enough of that stuff in the winter. I don't need to see it in summer.

🤣Well, we certainly have no problem believing that you haven't been to beautiful AK.  I've been to AK and Wisconsin.  Trust me, you would like AK.  Or not.  It's (still) a free country.😎

• Like 1

Maybe you'll be on my sailing -I chose Encore in July, becuase I wanted Glacier Bay. I did a different Alaskan cruise 2 years ago and was eager to go back. This time my travel partners wanted to go out of Seattle so our choices were already narrowed down. I'm excited for Glacier Bay and the observation lounge, both new to me! I can just spend the whole week staring out the window and never get bored.