Island Princess Problems

geoherb

That was just the burst water pipe . Zone seven aft from deck 7-14 had either no hot water, no water, no toilet etc for half the cruise. We still had a great time even with the inconvenience and the staff who helped us find showers elsewhere on the ship were wonderful. That’s not the point and I know there are people who will make every excuse for a huge company that is more than satisfied to take our money and give a sub par experience but I’m not. 

14 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I think 14 is still quite a lot!

It was up to that number. I don't know how many people were in three of the affected cabins. It would be 14 if all three of them had four people each. It's probably more likely they had two people and the total was eight. But even at 14, that's fewer than 1 percent of the passengers. For a comparison, cruise lines have to report a norovirus outbreak to the CDC when it affects 2 percent or more of passengers.

1 minute ago, Treasure Hunter said:

That was just the burst water pipe . Zone seven aft from deck 7-14 had either no hot water, no water, no toilet etc for half the cruise. We still had a great time even with the inconvenience and the staff who helped us find showers elsewhere on the ship were wonderful. That’s not the point and I know there are people who will make every excuse for a huge company that is more than satisfied to take our money and give a sub par experience but I’m not. 

I'm glad you still had a great time in spite of the inconvenience. 

On 6/16/2024 at 8:45 AM, HS2BS said:

We were on the Island Princess’s repositioning May 24 - June 4, and there were too many problems to list. We had a wheelchair accessible cabin without an automatic door, and a non accessible balcony(so why charge us for a balcony). Air conditioning was a consistent problem in cabin and in most of the ship. Food - boring and mediocre quality, entire ship is very poor for accessibility movement, guest services gives lip service but forgets to note discussion.

Overall this ship should have never made it past Covid scraping - after 19 Princess cruises we now know that this line needs better management! We have Ruby booked next year(last Princess cruise for us) and are canceling our 54 day cruise March of 26 on this ship.

Hal

We are on Majestic Princess currently (6th Princess cruise,  2 Golden. 1 Saphire, 1 Royal, 1 Coral) the dining service is slow and pretty poor. Messing up orders, long sits between courses, sitting with empty water glasses. food is also boring and mediocre to downright terrible. Desserts, something I really look forward to on a cruise, are terrible. Desserts I have had on past princess cruises, that were creamy and delicious, are flavorless and gelatinous.  I think the new vision for executives at Princess is to be like NCL, make the food and service in the included dining so bad people will pay for the specialty dining and premium desserts. (Although, rumor has it the premium desserts aren’t much better). NCL built there ships with the thought of people using alternative dining venues and has a lot of options, Princess doesn’t have enough Specialty Dining capacity to cover the number of people unhappy with the included dining. I know everyone has their reasons for why they enjoy cruising, part of ours was the all inclusive value it provided. If we have to pay as much for food onboard as we do on land, that value is no longer there. If the entertainment is meh, the special touches are gone ( no pillow chocolate, no towel animals, no attention to detail, no desire to recover from service or operational mishaps, no live commentary on the scenic cruising days etc) Why bother with the cruise. Frankly, I’m embarrassed because I brought 10 new to princess customers with me (1 new to cruising) and it’s been one fiasco after another, glitchy APP, crowded ship, poor food, lack luster activities and entertainment, they all think the food, service and entertainment/activities were better on Carnival. Granted that was pre pandemic. 

We are not ones to write off a company over one bad experience, we know things happen, so will likely try another princess cruise in the future, based on itinerary and competitive pricing.  More people than ever are cruising, our sailing is very full( numbers haven’t been mentioned but I know several of the 3 and 4 guest cabins indeed have 3 or 4 guests) so I am sure we won’t be missed or make a big dent in the bottom line, but if things don’t improve, we will move on. 

Post pandemic we have cruised Disney and Seabourn, (I know, I know higher price and higher expectations) there were no significant changes in Disney from our cruise with them 9 years ago and our Jan 2023 cruise, The food was actually better than the previous. First  Seabourn and it was a splurge we won’t be able to make often (40th Anniversary, 60th Birthday, as well as not traveling during the pandemic) but, as should be expected at that price point, service, food etc were fabulous. 

2 minutes ago, imescaping said:

We are on Majestic Princess currently (6th Princess cruise,  2 Golden. 1 Saphire, 1 Royal, 1 Coral) the dining service is slow and pretty poor. Messing up orders, long sits between courses, sitting with empty water glasses. food is also boring and mediocre to downright terrible. Desserts, something I really look forward to on a cruise, are terrible. Desserts I have had on past princess cruises, that were creamy and delicious, are flavorless and gelatinous.  I think the new vision for executives at Princess is to be like NCL, make the food and service in the included dining so bad people will pay for the specialty dining and premium desserts. (Although, rumor has it the premium desserts aren’t much better). NCL built there ships with the thought of people using alternative dining venues and has a lot of options, Princess doesn’t have enough Specialty Dining capacity to cover the number of people unhappy with the included dining. I know everyone has their reasons for why they enjoy cruising, part of ours was the all inclusive value it provided. If we have to pay as much for food onboard as we do on land, that value is no longer there. If the entertainment is meh, the special touches are gone ( no pillow chocolate, no towel animals, no attention to detail, no desire to recover from service or operational mishaps, no live commentary on the scenic cruising days etc) Why bother with the cruise. Frankly, I’m embarrassed because I brought 10 new to princess customers with me (1 new to cruising) and it’s been one fiasco after another, glitchy APP, crowded ship, poor food, lack luster activities and entertainment, they all think the food, service and entertainment/activities were better on Carnival. Granted that was pre pandemic. 

We are not ones to write off a company over one bad experience, we know things happen, so will likely try another princess cruise in the future, based on itinerary and competitive pricing.  More people than ever are cruising, our sailing is very full( numbers haven’t been mentioned but I know several of the 3 and 4 guest cabins indeed have 3 or 4 guests) so I am sure we won’t be missed or make a big dent in the bottom line, but if things don’t improve, we will move on. 

Post pandemic we have cruised Disney and Seabourn, (I know, I know higher price and higher expectations) there were no significant changes in Disney from our cruise with them 9 years ago and our Jan 2023 cruise, The food was actually better than the previous. First  Seabourn and it was a splurge we won’t be able to make often (40th Anniversary, 60th Birthday, as well as not traveling during the pandemic) but, as should be expected at that price point, service, food etc were fabulous. 

Yes I know the difference in “there” and “their” I didn’t catch it before I posted and couldn’t figure out how to edit it. 

On 6/17/2024 at 1:05 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

We board the Island in 1 week...definitely very concerned about what awaits us.  We've been on her before, back in 2022 (Oktoberfest) and had a GREAT cruise...probably one of our favorites out of 25 so far.  I just don't recall anything negative as far as the condition of the ship.

We were on that same Oktoberfest cruise.  We enjoyed it very much, including the Island.  Sad to hear about these problems.  I hope they get things in order.