Cabin change - very upset

13 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Let's hope that your stateroom is not changed/needed for a family of 3 (or more) before you sail.😮🤞

OP - So sorry for your experience.  Hopefully, you will get satisfaction with the hotel manager.

It is a transatlantic so our odds are good.  We are watching for an upsell offer to make sure we don’t get booted 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

To retrieve your cases, having to stand outside your original cabin, waiting for the newly assigned pax to retire for the evening, is deplorable customer service. A very poor start to a cruise, especially after long flights.

They would have done well to contact the cabin attendants for that cabin, since of course they had put the bags in the room. And could have examined the name on the bag tags and either given them back after checking names on ship's cards or elevated things to their supervisor.

Indeed, I'm surprised the cabin attendants did not approach two upset passengers they saw hovering by a cabin they were assigned to and ask how they could help.

Easier to look at it from the comfort of my kitchen table, I guess!

• Like 3

Florin, I have a question when you have time from enjoying your cruise.  In your original post you mention that the passengers in your original cabin did not arrive at their cabin until 9 pm.  That's really late, had they or the stewards not been in before 9pm?  Evening turn down would have already happened and extra luggage sitting around.  I know it is HAL's total lack of customer care, but I know what I would have done if I found someone else's luggage in my stateroom.  I really hope you are having a great cruise after a very rough start.    Cherie

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Let's hope that your stateroom is not changed/needed for a family of 3 (or more) before you sail.😮🤞

OP - So sorry for your experience.  Hopefully, you will get satisfaction with the hotel manager.

Don't most, if not all, cabins accommodate 3 people? Why would you get changed out?

2 hours ago, BackNow said:

Having a bigger cabin is not an upgrade if the location is noisy.

To you, maybe not. To the cruise line, it is. I know it makes no sense, but Upgrades go by cabin category, not by features for the individual cruisers.
On my last cruise my parents & I got upgraded from an FF on Dolphin Deck to a C on Lower Promenade Deck. I loved the upgrade, it was a great location for me. My parents were not so happy with the "better" cabin. But that didn't negate the fact to HAL it was an upgrade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 7:56 PM, shadow 123 said:

That's interesting. I always pick my own room. I've never seen that option. I probably just moved over it and didn't even realize it was there. I will call my travel agent though and make sure that for my next 2 cruises I don't want any upgrades.

I also always have my bookings noted as "no upgrade" to minimize being moved out of my carefully selected cabin. After you have your TA note the bookings, ask them to send you an updated booking confirmation - it will show in the details toward the end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Don't most, if not all, cabins accommodate 3 people? Why would you get changed out?

No, all cabins do not accommodate 3 people - many hold 2 people; the sofa does not pull out to a bed in those cabins, it's just a sofa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

See this thread to see why 2 people would get mov d from a cabin that accommodates 3.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 0106 said:

See this thread to see why 2 people would get mov d from a cabin that accommodates 3.

True but anyone familiar with HAL will know that any voyage over 12 days has little likelihood of being bumped with a no upgrade in place.  You are much more likely to be bumped from an accessible room

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I also always have my bookings noted as "no upgrade" to minimize being moved out of my carefully selected cabin. After you have your TA note the bookings, ask them to send you an updated booking confirmation - it will show in the details toward the end.

Keep in mind that HALs recently announced policy concerning 2 people booking a 3/4 person cabin will negate no upgrade if they need the room. For that matter the no upgrade is and always has been more of a request than a hard rule. Has been ignored in the past and certainly will be in the future.

The do not upgrade was more in the oldsays when cruise lines would upgrade  customers as a form of goodwill. Now they monetize upgrades and most changes are to maximize inventory.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Purchasing the “cancel for any reason” insurance would allow you to cancel up to sailing if HAL moves you from your chosen stateroom to an unacceptable accommodation.   It would indirectly increase the cost of your cruise but if you are cruising locally it might be worth the cost.  

@Florin I am so sorry this happened to you and you have every right to feel upset. I would be too. I truly hope that HAL management was responsive and bent over backwards to make this up to you for your Anniversary.  

I am nervous this might happen to us on our upcoming cruise to Alaska on the Zaandam in a couple of weeks. It’s our first cruise and it would be just our luck w/ the new HAL policy regarding cabin reassignment.

We hand picked our Vista Suite cabin on the phone with our HAL PCC in April after upgrading to Club Orange. At the time, she said HAL did NOT have a new policy of moving a couple out of cabin that a family might need. She also told us that our suite is for 2 people anyway.

Well, I keep seeing posts about this new HAL policy. And, I found out there is a sofa bed in our cabin so I am not so sure we are safe. I’ll be emailing our PCC tomorrow. 

10 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I have not seen where Florin has stated whether or not they chose "No Upgrade".

That's the deal, right? If you sign on for an upgrade, you get what you get, whether you think it's an upgrade or not.

What am I missing?

As one of the people who had questions for them, it would be nice if they would engage more fully about their experiences. But if they are returning home now after their cruise, it's quite understandable that they may be out of touch until they're home and rested up. Until then, I would not expect Florin to care 10p about our questions. I hope they do help us be clear that we haven't misunderstood what they've said.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

I hope they do help us be clear that we haven't misunderstood what they've said.

I agree, but this quote from the OP makes it quite clear:

"On boarding we went straight to the desk and asked why. We were told that our new cabin was larger and therefore an upgrade"

It's obvious what they did wrong. Research your cabin all you want, but also understand the terms you are accepting when you book. I don't recall if "No Upgrade" was the default, or if I had to click it when I booked, but in either case, you need to pay attention to what you're signing up for.

9 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I agree, but this quote from the OP makes it quite clear:

"On boarding we went straight to the desk and asked why. We were told that our new cabin was larger and therefore an upgrade"

It's obvious what they did wrong. Research your cabin all you want, but also understand the terms you are accepting when you book. I don't recall if "No Upgrade" was the default, or if I had to click it when I booked, but in either case, you need to pay attention to what you're signing up for.

Since the new version of the contract with HAL says they can change our cabin and there is nothing that says "except if you clicked no upgrade", it seems to be a moot point anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

Since the new version of the contract with HAL says they can change our cabin and there is nothing that says "except if you clicked no upgrade", it seems to be a moot point anyway.

I've noticed that being a thing, but has anyone posted the actual wording of the old contract and alleged "new version"? I haven't read every single post. I may have missed it. Post# please?

2 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

Keep in mind HAL and other cruise have performed what they consider to be upgrades (based upon cabin class) for years. Setting no upgrade may reduce odd of getting one but not eliminate it totally from happening. Basically more of a request rather then a hard rule.

Now HAL is saying that they will move you in the same room type if you book 2 people in a 3/4 cabin and they need it for a 3/4 booking. In which case you will be moved to a 2 capacity room in the same room type.

10 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I've noticed that being a thing, but has anyone posted the actual wording of the old contract and alleged "new version"? I haven't read every single post. I may have missed it. Post# please?

Look at section 8 of the current contract.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/legal-privacy/cruise-contract

They added "Reassign Stateroom Allocation" to the title of that section.

And they added "Reassign your stateroom allocation before or during cruise" to the language in that section.

The second paragraph of that section talks explicitly about their ability to move you if you are in a stateroom with fewer than the max number the stateroom can hold, as well as other reasons.

Edited by TRLD
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Thank you. I'm off to read the contract I signed over a year ago. I'll let you know if I'm concerned.

That raises an interesting question about which version would apply to a given cruise. The one when you purchased. The one when you accepted the terms, or the one when you check in.

I seem to recall on HAL that you accept the cruise contract when you check in and fill out all of your detail.

26 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Thank you. I'm off to read the contract I signed over a year ago. I'll let you know if I'm concerned.

I may be wrong but I believe the contract language changed regarding reassignment of cabins in March or April 2024. At least that’s when people started posting here but my PCC was (is?) still unaware of it. 

My husband just completed the check in process online for us last week and I assume that he had to indicate that he agreed to HAL’s terms during the process.

This may be redundant but here’s the language from HAL’s website:

“Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carrier reserves the right to move Guest(s) to a comparable stateroom for any reason including, but not limited to, instances during which a stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests that the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs, and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.”

Edited by Ileneilene123

8 minutes ago, TRLD said:

That raises an interesting question about which version would apply to a given cruise. The one when you purchased. The one when you accepted the terms, or the one when you check in.

I seem to recall on HAL that you accept the cruise contract when you check in and fill out all of your detail.

According to the current Cruise Contract, you accept the terms when you book (this is consistent with most other lines in my experience). I don't believe this has changed for many years.

Upon booking the Cruise, Cruisetour, Land Trip(s) and/or Air Package, each Guest named on the booking confirmation/statement explicitly agrees to the terms of this Cruise Contract. Any Guest booking or purchasing the Cruise, Cruisetour, Land Trip(s) and/or Air Package represents that they are authorized by all accompanying Guests to accept and agree to all the terms and conditions set forth herein. 

Check in requires yet another acceptance of the contract - but that doesn't negate the original terms. 🍺🥌