Review: QM2 TA - June 9th to 15th

*Miss G*

Posted (edited)
Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well."

*Miss G* was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Yesterday, following a Southampton to New York crossing, I disembarked the Queen Mary 2.  I had chosen to disconnect from the outside world so had opted out of purchasing the internet.  As a result, this review will be an odd mixture of daily reports and items from notes.

For background, I was born in England, grew up in Canada, and currently live in the US.  Or, as one US CBP Officer put it to another… “We’ve got ourselves a trifecta!”  😳

I predominantly sail Holland America but have also sailed Cunard and Princess. This review is made from the perspective of a HAL regular.

Two months ago, I boarded Holland America’s Rotterdam VII on a trans-Atlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Rotterdam.  I sailed with my parents, sister, and my daughter and her husband.

IMG_1141.thumb.jpeg.9c7dd0cf33c8de2da3e87fb500cba6a0.jpeg

Following disembarkation, my daughter and SIL flew back to Canada while the rest of us took the overnight P&O ferry to Hull, England.  A week later, my parents also flew back to Canada and I stayed on with my sister in Yorkshire.  The time went by quickly and, before we knew it, we were on our way to Oxford for a pre-cruise stay.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

DAY ONE - EMBARKATION DAY!!

Sunday, June 9th

On the morning of embarkation we set off for Southampton.  Traffic was terrible in and around Oxford but, once we cleared all the construction and road closures, it was smooth sailing from there.

By 2:00pm we had made it to the port and I could see my ship!  This is where my sister and I would part ways.  She had a long drive home but had insisted she would see me to the ship, herself.  What a nice sister!  🥰

As we pulled up to the drop-off point for the Mayflower Terminal, there was quite a long queue waiting to board.  I excused myself through the crowd and, by sheer luck or stupidity, I actually picked the correct pod to hand over my luggage!  Even though I had embarked from Southampton before, I had no recollection of there being a specific process.  For those who also have no recollection — or for those who have never embarked here before — here is a brief rundown:

Take note of the colour and the number on your luggage tag.  Mine was Red 5:

IMG_2236.thumb.jpeg.a86f0121de4fb4a1efbd6d7ac433b11d.jpeg

This colour and number will correspond to the correct drop-off pod for your luggage.  Each of the five pods had coloured squares and numbers painted on the wall next to it.  Pod 3 was where red luggage tag 5’s were collected.  I should have taken a picture.  Sorry.

Luggage relinquished to the great unknown, I made my way to the back of a long snaking line; currently reaching past the Arrivals Hall at the other end of Departures.  At this point, my 2:45pm check-in time would no longer matter.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Embarkation Day continued…

During this wait, there were staff going up and down the line calling for priority passengers, as well as a lady apologizing for the delay and explaining why.  Although they were fully staffed — with extra staff on hand — there were additional US Customs & Immigration steps to take in order to authorize boarding for the many different nationalities on this sailing.  I heard no complaints or grumblings from anyone in the line.  That was nice.  We were all happy to be boarding and at peace with queuing for our turn.

By 3:10pm I had reached the entrance to the Departures Hall.  Yay!  Oh wait.  Not so yay.  Once inside, we are directed up the ramp to join the next snaking line for check-in.  But we are now inside out of the cool blustery day, so… yay!

At 3:30pm, the lovely lady at check-in verified my documents, stamped my boarding pass, and I was on my way to Security.  

IMG_2063.thumb.jpeg.e834d0c29edb7b9ab8f031ac56df36a0.jpeg

I showed my boarding pass to the man at the entrance and was directed inside to one of the Security lanes.  Jackets and watches off, laptops and tablets out, carry-ons onto the conveyor.  With no problems going through the metal detector, and no items sent to the naughty lane, it was a quick process and I was heading for the gangway.  (Informationally, I had a bottle of water and, as it turns out, a forgotten yogourt in my bag, but both went through without comment.)

Through Security, up the gangway, boarding pass scanned, and I emerge inside the ship on Deck 2.  This is exciting!  There were helpful staff checking room numbers and pointing people in the right direction.  There was also someone managing the elevators and we are inside and up to our rooms in no time.  This is great!  

More helpful staff as I exit the elevator.  I am quickly at my room, picking up the key outside the door, and checking where to go for muster.  After a little confusion on my part, I locate Muster Station H, card scanned, and I am on my way to the Terrace Pool for a glass of bubbly and the sailaway celebrations.  It is now 4:10pm…. so just over two hours has passed from drop-off to cheeky drink.

IMG_9535.thumb.jpeg.dedd43240951054fe4b151f5ee167ef4.jpeg

IMG_9534.thumb.jpeg.1ccc89ee73c5b354940c348dd83bb4d1.jpeg

There is a band setting up for the sailaway celebrations.

Edited by *Miss G*
Too many no times
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

How did you know about taking your luggage to the matching pod? I don't recall any instructions about that. 

When I boarded QA 3 weeks ago, I was early and luggage handling was confused because disembarkation had run late. I was trying to figure out where to go when a porter came along and said he'd take care of my bags. This was the usual process, so I didn't winder where he took them. Perhaps not the matching pod, which explains why my luggage arrived in my room much later than usual.

Where in Yorkshire were you? My grandparents were from Yorkshire, and we visited relatives many times--even the ones who defected to the other side of the Pennines.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

The pods are normally labelled with deck numbers but there are slightly different arrangements at different terminals. 

I really am as blind as a bat, I have never noticed that. I usually just stagger to the nearest pod and a nice man directs me, or, if I’m looking particularly distraught, takes it for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We came across 'the pods' at the Mayflower terminal last month.

There was a chap at a small portable table/desk telling you which pod to take your luggage to.

Unfortunately, he didn't seem to know which pod was which so I queued at the incorrect pod for ten mins before having to go to the correct pod, where I queued again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

How did you know about taking your luggage to the matching pod? I don't recall any instructions about that. 

It’s funny, but I thought the same thing… “Why are there no instructions?”  I honestly didn’t have a clue where to go.  Luckily, I had over an hour to ponder this question.  🫤  Through observation, and snippets of overheard conversation, it dawned on me what the coloured and numbered squares represented.  There was no one to provide assistance or information.  People (including me) just stood there looking at a queue and a wall when they exited their vehicles.  As Pod 3 was across the lane from where I was dropped off, I just headed in that direction.  It wasn’t until I had left my luggage and headed to the back of the line that I even noticed there were other pods!  That’s when I began to second-guess myself and wonder whether it would be the last time I ever saw my bag.  😂

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I really am as blind as a bat, I have never noticed that. I usually just stagger to the nearest pod and a nice man directs me, or, if I’m looking particularly distraught, takes it for me.

I must also look distraught because a porter came up to me last year (already!), collected our luggage, we were off. Never saw a pod. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NE John said:

I must also look distraught because a porter came up to me last year (already!), collected our luggage, we were off. Never saw a pod. 

Time was (pre-Covid) when the porter invariably came to your car, and took it away once you had unloaded it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Time was (pre-Covid) when the porter invariably came to your car, and took it away once you had unloaded it.

The porter got a tip!! Well deserved. 

7 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Where in Yorkshire were you? My grandparents were from Yorkshire, and we visited relatives many times--even the ones who defected to the other side of the Pennines.

Oh, sorry!  I just noticed your edit.  My sister now lives in West Yorkshire but we are from The Wirral in the North West; formerly Cheshire.  Most of my relatives are still there, but some have scattered.

Blessed to sail the QM2 many times since 2004 transatlantic, Caribbean and elsewhere. Thank you for your post. It is indeed A unique ship and most memorable voyages.

• Thanks 1

Embarkation Day continued…

Determined to watch the sailaway and get a few pictures…

IMG_9536.thumb.jpeg.0d2d5349c3f5c9d154de3f7991686350.jpeg

IMG_9538.thumb.jpeg.d23b99381a2f8b731bd60ade7e410c7d.jpeg

I listen to a few songs by the live band then head back to my room to unpack.  I find my suitcase just inside the door, but not lifted onto the bed.  Hmm.  That’s something I’m not used to.  Luckily, I’m still pretty functional so I hoist it onto the bed for myself.  (With my fingers crossed for good luck.)

Before I did, however, I took a few pics of the room.

ROOM 5181 - SHELTERED BALCONY

Having never been in a sheltered balcony, I was not quite sure what to expect.  I had researched the category but it was mixed reviews.  Some loved them; others… not so much.  Not much help there so I decided find out through experience.

Well, it turns out that I LOVE the sheltered balcony!  I still had access to the great outdoors and the room still had the full glass wall to see it.  The space was protected from the elements and the neighbours (for the most part) and felt like a cocoon.  It was like your own private oasis! 

IMG_9516.thumb.jpeg.0f8ef8f90652c4ad41fd9289c2581ee3.jpeg

IMG_9523.thumb.jpeg.09274411dbbe2a1a9fdaae78a59f7f4a.jpeg

IMG_9519.thumb.jpeg.901012b75e75564cef03e05378f301c2.jpeg

IMG_9529.thumb.jpeg.5fb550e214e1843ca231d844110f947b.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

THE BATHROOM

The bathroom is quite small, but functional, with lots of cupboard space for your items.

IMG_9518.thumb.jpeg.cd54f8cb1cdbcda4d2db7e3ce4aa65ba.jpeg

WEIRD THINGS

• 1. The toilet roll holder. It’s a bit behind you (no pun intended) so you have to pull the paper sideways… towards the open end of the holder.  At this point it will fly off the holder and bounce across the floor and shower stall.  If I were a cat, this would be a good time.  As a human… not so much.   I gather it up and roll it back onto its cylinder to be ready for its next journey.

• 2. The small plastic shower with nowhere to put your items after you’ve installed the shower gel and shampoo.  I keep the other requirements on the counter-top and stick my hand in and out for them, as needed.  And why is there no hair conditioner?  Does everyone have tangle-free hair?  Luckily, I have brought my own.  (Although there’s nowhere to put it.)
  •  
  • 3. The molesting shower curtain.  I try not to think of the previous bodies it’s wrapped itself around prior to attacking my own.  I do not have much success with this.  Singing helps.
  •  
  • 4. What is that thing above the toilet roll?  Is it for your teeth?  Was it an ashtray?  Did they smoke in the staterooms when this ship was built?  Furthermore, did they really need to smoke in the BATHROOM?  A truly “What The… “ moment for me.  There’s a bottle opener next to the teeth tray/ashtray.  I guess if you need a smoke, you’re gonna need a drink.  This bathroom was built for multi-taskers.  

IMG_9559.thumb.jpeg.2ac19ef36ea01e670cd040594200894f.jpeg

IMG_9560.thumb.jpeg.0f8c7195014b47ae317922ba4161d9a1.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 3
  • Haha 10

The hangers were a tad cumbersome.  Your clothing cannot be relocated in one move as they are attached by pins on a double holder.  I do not like the ones with the clothespins because they will catch on women’s clothing so, before I hang my clothes, I need to move them all to the back and move the ones without the clothespins to the front (ironically, that is how they were set up, per the pic).

IMG_9520.thumb.jpeg.0f6b3e8b3976a2f4dd68d7eee007cc0d.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

THE BATHROOM

The bathroom is quite small, but functional, with lots of cupboard space for your items.

IMG_9518.thumb.jpeg.cd54f8cb1cdbcda4d2db7e3ce4aa65ba.jpeg

WEIRD THINGS

• 1. The toilet roll holder. It’s a bit behind you (no pun intended) so you have to pull the paper sideways… towards the open end of the holder.  At this point it will fly off the holder and bounce across the floor and shower stall.  If I were a cat, this would be a good time.  As a human… not so much.   I gather it up and roll it back onto its cylinder to be ready for its next journey.

• 2. The small plastic shower with nowhere to put your items after you’ve installed the shower gel and shampoo.  I keep the other requirements on the counter-top and stick my hand in and out for them, as needed.  And why is there no hair conditioner?  Does everyone have tangle-free hair?  Luckily, I have brought my own.  (Although there’s nowhere to put it.)
  •  
  • 3. The molesting shower curtain.  I try not to think of the previous bodies it’s wrapped itself around prior to attacking my own.  I do not have much success with this.  Singing helps.
  •  
  • 4. What is that thing above the toilet roll?  Is it for your teeth?  Was it an ashtray?  Did they smoke in the staterooms when this ship was built?  Furthermore, did they really need to smoke in the BATHROOM?  A truly “What The… “ moment for me.  There’s a bottle opener next to the teeth tray/ashtray.  I guess if you need a smoke, you’re gonna need a drink.  This bathroom was built for multi-taskers.  

IMG_9559.thumb.jpeg.2ac19ef36ea01e670cd040594200894f.jpeg

IMG_9560.thumb.jpeg.0f8c7195014b47ae317922ba4161d9a1.jpeg

With regard to the ashtray above the toilet paper, don't forget that this ship was built in 2002 and was probably designed in 1999 or so, so probably it's a good 25 year old design... back in those days, ashtrays and smoking were a much bigger part of society than they are today!

ALSO: even though smoking is not allowed, a very small percentage of people (addicted to smoking) will always try to break or push the rules... and therefore, it's generally better to have an ashtray to protect against a potential fire, than for them to throw the cigarette into a bin, where it may catch fire.

Notice that even on modern Boeing and Airbus airplanes, we still see ashtrays in toilets!  It's for the same reasons - some people will still try to smoke no matter what!

Edited by Kordy

I have been assigned late seating at 8:30pm.  In My.Cunard they had bounced me back and forth between seatings and tables, but always at a table for two, per my reservation.  I arrive at Britannia Level 2 and am shown to Table 404.  Conveniently, there is a card with the reservation information in your room.

IMG_9532.thumb.jpeg.33f45d5c3eb725f9af782575006b0c31.jpeg

It has 6 chairs at a round table so I am puzzled.  The young man tells me I have been assigned a sharing table and I am the first to arrive.  Apologies, but that was not what I reserved.  I am directed back to the gentleman at the front to work things out.  A line of passengers are at the entrance but I am told to go directly to the empty podium.

A man and his wife close in behind me and I feel an uncovered cough directed at the back of my head.  I hold my breath in hopes that the germs fly past.  As I am answering questions posed by the Maître d', I feel a giant belly pushing up against my back.  Not just an accidental brush as in “my-head-is-further-back-from-my-body-so-I-didn’t-realize-I-was-that-close-to-you” kind of brush.  No, this was a full-on intentional push to get me out of the way.  The penny drops and I now understand.  He believes I have jumped the queue and is making his displeasure known in the most distasteful way possible.  I turn my head to see who is forcing himself into the space I am occupying.  He looks back with cold eyes.  In shock, I pull away so he can press his belly against the podium instead.  Sometimes, I just don’t understand people.

Distasteful episode at the podium now over, I am taken to my new table assignment:  #352.  WOW.  It is the perfect table for me.  And I honestly believe I have won the dining room lottery with the best team there:

Head Waiter:  Rateesh

Waiter:  Jimmy

Assistant Waiter:  Abner

Sommelier:  Wesley

Wesley introduced me to some new wines I would never have picked for myself.  The unfinished bottles would always be at the table when I arrived and poured immediately.  He always kept a watch to top up my glass before it was finished, and knew when I wasn’t going to have anymore.

Rateesh came by frequently to see how things were going and Jimmy and Abner were always on top of things.  And I love that they still use the magic brush, aka crumb catchers!

Each of them contributed to making a fantastic dining experience.

One other note about the dining… everything arrived hot!  Now that is an accomplishment.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kordy said:

ALSO: even though smoking is not allowed, a very small percentage of people (addicted to smoking) will always try to break or push the rules... and

There were definitely rule-breakers.  They were on the prom and other decks, as well as in the non-smoking sections of the Terrace pool, Deck 8.  (Although they were discreet about it.)

Informationally, to the smokers: the Golden Lion sells them by the pack.

37 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

There were definitely rule-breakers.  They were on the prom and other decks, as well as in the non-smoking sections of the Terrace pool, Deck 8.  (Although they were discreet about it.)

Informationally, to the smokers: the Golden Lion sells them by the pack.

Your conversational writing style is both fun to read and informative. You really place us at the scene: ashtrays, bellies, and all… 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NE John said:

Your conversational writing style is both fun to read and informative. You really place us at the scene: ashtrays, bellies, and all… 

Indeed - Cunard should employ you as a Cruise reviewer or an Ambassador of sorts, or you could start your own YouTube channel and make $$$ like the other youtubers (less fun than you) already making so much !!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DAY TWO - AT SEA

Monday, June 10th

Embarkation Day over, I climb into bed.  OMG.  This is the comfiest bed I have ever been in!  The pillows, the linens, the duvet!  It is like sleeping on a cloud!  If I was a cat I’d be purring.  I build myself a nest and settle into my bed-of-cloud.

Goodnight and goodbye, England:

IMG_9556.thumb.jpeg.cd3ba3f2d326a1b839a50925d6d4bb46.jpeg

Just after 1:00am I was woken by the Captain’s voice above my bed.  I was in a deep sleep, in my bed-of-cloud, and had a bit of a climb to get out of it.  Unfortunately for one of the passengers, there is a medical emergency.  We are changing course, north, back to England, for an emergency evacuation.  

IMG_9569.thumb.jpeg.2f28a1812777ca5a383b2f53c9e35d7f.jpeg

The Coast Guard would be picking up the passenger by helicopter so we were asked to keep the drapes closed and stay inside during the process.  It was a windy evening so the helicopter flew alongside until it was safe to lower the gurney and rescuer.  It was reported that they are doing well.

Having registered that there was no action required on my part, I drift back to sleep to dream of multitudes of people in my cabin.  😳

I am up at 5:00am ship time.  We had reached the Celtic Sea and were sailing past the Isles of Scilly.  Apparent Wind Speed: 53 knots; Beaufort Scale 4; slight seas.  I note that by 6:00am we have changed course and are traveling further north.  Our original track was to take the southerly route:

IMG_1983.thumb.jpeg.8e2a8b4a24e7fb85d11faf19cb37fa16.jpeg

We are now on a Northern track and would be experiencing the weather to match:

IMG_9734.thumb.jpeg.3fd62ab6ca0af9332f1a1b16636b1c9b.jpeg

• Like 3

Last night I decided to have breakfast in bed.  The earliest time it can be delivered is 7:00am, so that’s what I chose.  After putting out the card, I thought “Hey, wait a minute. 7:00am will be 6:00am.”  I retrieved the card and changed delivery time to 8:00am, thinking that would give me a ship time of 7:00am.

Wrong.

I pick up the phone at 5:30am and call Room Service, cancel breakfast, and have coffee sent up instead.  Not 5 minutes had passed when my coffee arrived.  Yay!

IMG_9565.thumb.jpeg.d7fe1dad2d93c5bb25bb6be0f4ecc436.jpeg

Not so fast.  Although it looks pretty, it tastes awful.  Maybe if I add cream?  Well that didn’t work.  Let’s try adding sugar.  No… now it tastes like sweet blech.  I try adding a sachet of instant coffee to give it a boost.  Well that didn’t work, either.  Out of ideas, I learn my lesson.  No more room service coffee for me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1