LIVE (almost) from QM2 Transatlantic June 23 to June 29

Joe33472

The sense of disregarding departing passengers in favour of those arriving has been the case on every cruise I've been on bar one, which was Orient Lines around 20 years ago (when they were transitioning to Norwegian). One of my biggest bugbears (and Celebrity have been the worst for this) is that for fly cruises the lines tend to dump you in at the airport hours and hours before you can even check in bags. Orient Lines, on the other hand, turned the airport transfer into an excursion, so we had a free tour of Athens and made a bit of a day of it. They naturally had a load of miserable people moaning that they just wanted to get to the airport, but for most it made a great end to a really good holiday as it sure beat sitting around on your cases. 

• Like 2

I should have thought an obvious reason they want embarking passengers to board as early as possible is in the probably vain hope of getting away on time, or nearly. They probably don’t want to miss the tide again. And I, for one, had no idea that was a danger in arriving at or departing from NY.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Joe,

Seeing you pass the Rockaway's and Heading to Coney Island and the Narrows. 

Welcome to NYC, the not so nice weather entering the "Big Baked Apple".

Soon we'll see you sailing under the VZ Bridge....

Enjoy!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Joe,

Seeing you pass the Rockaway's and Heading to Coney Island and the Narrows. 

Welcome to NYC, the not so nice weather entering the "Big Baked Apple".

Soon we'll see you sailing under the VZ Bridge....

Enjoy!

Just passed under bridge watching webcam whilst enjoying last day of our 1st taste of QA.

• Like 2

Does anyone know why the QM2 doesn't use the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and instead goes for the more ugly Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?  Since QM2 is such an iconic ship and it's the descendant of the Titanic, would it not make sense for it to dock in Manhattan?  It would be a nicer experience for both departing and arriving passengers... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Does anyone know why the QM2 doesn't use the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and instead goes for the more ugly Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?  Since QM2 is such an iconic ship and it's the descendant of the Titanic, would it not make sense for it to dock in Manhattan?  It would be a nicer experience for both departing and arriving passengers... 

My understanding is it’s cheaper to dock in Brooklyn

The QM2 docked in Manhattan for two years prior to the opening of the Red Hook terminal. If the information I have found on-line is correct, Red Hook opened in 2006.  

For two of our embarkations of the QM2 the ship had been re-directed to a Manhattan terminal for different reasons. One time it was on very short notice and the other time we were advised well in advance.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kordy said:

This is Cunard and QM2 .. it's a luxury cruise line.  This is not Carnival or Norwegian, going for budget travellers and trying to penny-pinch.

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal was intentionally built at the Red Hook - PANJNY Piers for the QM2 and Princess Line for it's arrival in 2004.

The QM2 only docked for a short period of time in Manhattan. The Cost of the USCG and NYPD to guard the Aft section sticking out into Harbor was not reasonable. Alternate site was agreed upon with the American Steam Dores which also operates the Red Hook Container Terminal next Door.

In the reason past, another Cruise Terminal was in the works but the American Steam Dores denied it and extended a 10 add on lease for the property with the PANJNY, 

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal was intentionally built at the Red Hook - PANJNY Piers for the QM2 and Princess Line for it's arrival in 2004.

The QM2 only docked for a short period of time in Manhattan. The Cost of the USCG and NYPD to guard the Aft section sticking out into Harbor was not reasonable. Alternate site was agreed upon with the American Steam Dores  

Thank you ... this is a great answer.

• Like 1

I think of Red Hook as “Cunard’s terminal”. It is as unique as the ship. We were once scheduled to embark from Manhattan and had planned our hotel proximity in accordance. Then the Carnival Horizon crashed into the pier and we were rerouted to Red Hook while they made the repairs.

The announcement came too late to change hotels as it was too soon to departure and all rooms were booked.  (Not to mention sky-high.) We took a car service to Pier 11/Wall St and took the ferry from there. What a treat to exit the ferry directly at the terminal! It was also fun to see our ship from Pier 11 as well as watch it getting bigger the closer we came. What a fun adventure!

• Like 3

Thank you ... I am thinking of taking the ferry from Pier 11 / Wall St .. straight to The QM2 ship ... I think it will be lovely to see it from a ferry, getting larger and larger and then being dropped off right outside the ship and thus avoid all the car traffic !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kordy said:

Thank you ... I am thinking of taking the ferry from Pier 11 / Wall St .. straight to The QM2 ship ... I think it will be lovely to see it from a ferry, getting larger and larger and then being dropped off right outside the ship and thus avoid all the car traffic !!!

Not the cleanest ferry window for a picture, but enjoyed the ferry to red hook on a princess cruise Oct 2022. It is an easy great connection.

IMG_1494.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kordy said:

This is Cunard and QM2 .. it's a luxury cruise line.  This is not Carnival or Norwegian, going for budget travellers and trying to penny-pinch.

I never said it was? I just said it was my understanding the docking costs are cheaper at Red Hook compare to Manhattan. 

And any company, regardless of who they cater for will try to cut costs where they can. And as other threads have mentioned, there are cutbacks across all of the ships. 

• Like 2

@BklynBoy8 Reading your posts about German restaurants brought back some good memories.

I recall the huge Christmas tree in Luchow’s and the good food.

Growing up,I lived near Neiderstien’s and often went there with my parents.

My HS (Christ the King) was a few blocks away from the restaurant.

I have heard that there is an Arby’s there now.

My father, at one time, worked for Domino Sugar in Brooklyn, not far from Peter Luger’s, I think, as he would often go there for lunch with coworkers or clients.

My hubby and I would often go to Sardi’s for a pre theater dinner. We also liked Smith and Wolinski’s and Rothmans steak house.

I did not mean to hijack the OP’s thread, just thought I would let you know that I enjoyed your post!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kordy said:

Can anyone tell me:

1. how is luggage handled by the ferry?
2. what is the process for getting luggage from the ferry to the ship luggage drop off area?

With all the dress requirements on QM2 (which we are looking forward to) we will have extra luggage so ease of luggage handling is key for us.

20 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

Can anyone tell me:

1. how is luggage handled by the ferry?
2. what is the process for getting luggage from the ferry to the ship luggage drop off area?

With all the dress requirements on QM2 (which we are looking forward to) we will have extra luggage so ease of luggage handling is key for us.

The passengers are responsible for their own luggage to the point of turning it over to the longshore men in the front of the terminal. There is no help from the ferry terminal to the front of the terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1