2026 NCL Cruise Critic cruise (proposed)

14 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

That would totally throw me off.

On the Gem and Pearl the Lounge is on deck #7 aft, Tradewind shops are located midship ( I think the Pearl still has the bowling alleys).

Jade and Jewel are opposite, I like this design since there is one shop and it's larger plus the traffic flow is improved on deck #7.

I never sailed on the Jewel but it looks smaller based on pictures posted here in CC

• Like 1

6 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

The back-to-backs on the Pearl and the Gem would be a good option for people who want a longer cruise (14 days), as well as for people who only want 7 days. (They could pick the front end or the back end).

We loved the Jade and assume the Pearl and Gem would be comparable.

I would be good with a B2B (but I also like that Viva cruise). Just tell me when and where to show up!

• Like 1

I know this one is only nine days, but seems to fit most or the other requirements:

Villefranche, France
VILLEFRANCHE, FRANCE

9-DAY CRUISE ON NORWEGIAN VIVA

Mediterranean: Italy, France & Greece

from Barcelona, Spain

calendar-blue.svg
Sailing
  • April,2026

10 PORTS OF CALL
  • Barcelona,Spain
  • Nice/Monaco (Villefranche),France
  • Florence/Pisa (Livorno),Italy
  • Rome (Civitavecchia),Italy
  • Salerno,Italy
  • Messina (Sicily),Italy
  • Corfu,Greece
  • Kotor,Montenegro
  • Split,Croatia
  • Venice (Ravenna),Italy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

I know this one is only nine days, but seems to fit most or the other requirements:

Villefranche, France
VILLEFRANCHE, FRANCE

9-DAY CRUISE ON NORWEGIAN VIVA

Mediterranean: Italy, France & Greece

from Barcelona, Spain

calendar-blue.svg
Sailing
  • April,2026

10 PORTS OF CALL
  • Barcelona,Spain
  • Nice/Monaco (Villefranche),France
  • Florence/Pisa (Livorno),Italy
  • Rome (Civitavecchia),Italy
  • Salerno,Italy
  • Messina (Sicily),Italy
  • Corfu,Greece
  • Kotor,Montenegro
  • Split,Croatia
  • Venice (Ravenna),Italy

Looks good but it misses Dubrovnik. Is that OK? It's a popular port in Croatia.

3 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Looks good but it misses Dubrovnik. Is that OK? It's a popular port in Croatia.

Good point. Plus it makes a lot of stops in places the Schmoopies have been (not that anyone cares) and we would probably treat as "sea days". Now where did I put that drawing board...?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Good point. Plus it makes a lot of stops in places the Schmoopies have been (not that anyone cares) and we would probably treat as "sea days". Now where did I put that drawing board...?

Of course we all care.

The Viva itinerary in early June from Istanbul to Ravenna/Venice includes two Croatian ports and one in Montenegro.

The B2B Gem and Pearl itineraries include two Croatian ports, one in Montenegro and one in Slovenia.

Posted (edited)

So...here's where this stands:

OPTION 1: April on the Viva:

New ship,

Good time of year.

9 Days (kind of short after flying all that way.)

No Dubrovnik.

OPTION 2: Back to Back on the Gem:

Lots of duplication of ports. Kind of defeats the purpose of a Back to Back.

But options for people to do 7 or 14 days.

OPTION 3: May on the Viva from Venice to Istanbul:

New ship.

Not summer.

10 days.

No duplicate ports.

Cool departure and arrival cities.

I'd have to say I'm leaning toward the last option. As always, YMMV...

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

New ship,

Good time of year.

No Dubrovnik.

New ship.

Not summer.

10 days.

No duplicate ports.

All works for me!

#SchmoopieFest

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

New ship,

Good time of year.

No Dubrovnik.

New ship.

Not summer.

10 days.

No duplicate ports.

Just throwing this out there...would the @schmoopie17s consider taking the train from Ravenna to Bari, then the ferry to Dubrovnik?  Would extend your time a few days to make up for the long flights and you'd get to see more of Italy and Croatia. I know independent travel isn't for everyone but thought I would mention it.

I am good with anything you decide but I do like that May Viva from Venice to Istanbul (and I think it might be more pocketbook friendly than the B2B, especially for solos). 

• Like 2

I'm really ok with a few options, but I'll also throw my vote out there, so y'all can know where loud mouth cruiseny is. 

I'm currently voting on the May Venice to Istanbul on V!va. 

Here's why (as if you care):

- Europe in summer sucks

- It's earlier in 2026 which means we'll get to the cruise earlier

- There's one sea day

- Overnight in Istanbul means we might not need to dedicate as much time to a post-cruise stay in Turkiye. 

- Pre-cruise stay in/near Venice would be sick

- V!va - We (I mean I here) like the Pr1ma class ships

- 10 days of cruising is doable with my PTO allowance, and allows for some pre/post cruise touring of Italy/Turkiye. 

So, just throwing that out there! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

I did a mock booking. I've got to say, NCL is sure thinking their airfare is worth a lot. I'm certain we can pay a lot less on our own.

image.png.a4bf3246085c96629d49917174a4cde4.png

So...the airfare is more than the cruise? Something tells me the usually "reliable" NCL site is having a "rare" glitch. Probably adding decimals where they're not needed (or wanted).

Having said that, assuming the airfare snafu gets fixed, I'm on team @cruiseny4lifeon this option. Seems to have everything...new ship, time of year, ports, etc.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Just throwing this out there...would the @schmoopie17s consider taking the train from Ravenna to Bari, then the ferry to Dubrovnik?   

When on vacation, the Schmoopies prefer to have to do as little "legwork" as possible (especially with Mrs. Schmoopie still struggling with the after effects of her broken leg a year ago.)

That's why we like cruising. Everything is pretty much planned. Easy and convenience are the key words here...taking trains, ferries, etc., just seems like extra work and stress.

• Like 1

Istanbul (Constantinople) won't know what hit it when #SchmoopieFest arrives.

Prepare yourself for the carpet sale spiel.

Incidentally, the new Istanbul airport is a destination in itself. Arrive early and enjoy. The lounges serve more than just cheese and crackers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I should point out that the June Viva stops in cool places that the May one doesn't...Mykonos, Corfu and Split. Not sure if that makes up for having to go in June, but it's worth mentioning.

Yes, I have visited all three ports and they are cool. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I should point out that the June Viva stops in cool places that the May one doesn't...Mykonos, Corfu and Split. Not sure if that makes up for having to go in June, but it's worth mentioning.

It's early June so not as bad as later in the month or July/August. 

I did a mock booking to check airfare also. I don't even know where I will be living in 2026 (but probably not here) so I just picked JFK, as it's always pretty easy to get to/from. My round trip airfare was just over $1600. I know I can do better, especially if I use points (and go in May).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

It's early June so not as bad as later in the month or July/August. 

I did a mock booking to check airfare also. I don't even know where I will be living in 2026 (but probably not here) so I just picked JFK, as it's always pretty easy to get to/from. My round trip airfare was just over $1600. I know I can do better, especially if I use points (and go in May).

@schmoopie17  10-day Viva in May is doable.  So is 7-day in April.  

I also really like the 10-day in June itinerary.  The addition of Mykonos (suggest visiting Delos), Olympia (visiting the original Olympic site where they still light the torch every Olympics) and Dubrovnik is nice.  And weather in June seems to still be mild (highs in low 80’s).

image.png.2a91abd1b06f2af200bd56ecd19b49c6.png

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

I also really like the 10-day in June itinerary.  The addition of Mykonos (suggest visiting Delos), Olympia (visiting the original Olympic site where they still light the torch every Olympics) and Dubrovnik is nice.  And weather in June seems to still be mild (highs in low 80’s).

Ok - you got me! I didn't realize the torch was still lit. I'm down for a visit to Olympia. Low 80's also sound doable to me. I can be persuaded to take the June sailing too, even though I lose my sea day. 🙂 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I didn't realize the torch was still lit.

It’s actually not lit, but they light it there, in a very nondescript circle of stones, for the start of every Olympics.  Big ceremony with sunlight, reflection and Greek Goddesses.  The Olympic museum there blew me away with the ancient artifacts.  

@cruiseny4life Regardless which itinerary…I’ll try to make it work!  Although I’ll have to change a Princess Norway/Iceland we booked for June.

#SchmoopieFest 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Istanbul (Constantinople) won't know what hit it when #SchmoopieFest arrives.

Prepare yourself for the carpet sale spiel.

Incidentally, the new Istanbul airport is a destination in itself. Arrive early and enjoy. The lounges serve more than just cheese and crackers. 

Pictures, pictures help tell the stories of ISP ... do you have recent ones to share ?? 

Otherwise, will have to Google it, meaning call up Gemini for chatbot assistance - NCL starting to use more and more and I am not a big fan of AI, despite being proud of my mini Station Zebra.  

Meanwhile, I'm cleared to travel ... latest CT scan and lab work earlier this week all good & within ranges, etc.  Postpone the scheduled dental procedure on the wisdom tooth until we get back so I can enjoy good food ahead, LOL.  

Well, thinking of our CC friend, Dan @graphicguy ... unless I'm mistaken, he's getting his operative procedures done around this week and wishing him a speedy, positive and good recovery so he can get back to the joy of cruising - sending positive thoughts his way.  Get well quick and trust & have faith with PT, etc. and follow the doctor's advice.  

• Like 1