2026 NCL Cruise Critic cruise (proposed)

25 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

As a former Health Insurance Claims Director for half of my career, this makes absolutely zero sense. Insurance companies will do anything to save a buck and look for ways to not pay claims. (Did I say that in public?) They can always fall back on the insurance "contract"...which almost nobody ever reads. They're certainly not in the business of unnecessarily overpaying claims.

If anything, I would think Anthem would be pushing for one combined surgical session to avoid additional OR set-up charges, duplication of supplies/equipment, etc. Sounds like this was processed by a newbie claims person...or by automated claims processing which is almost as bad. Now you're in the position of having to start from scratch. Unacceptable. And people say NCL customer service is bad.

I also sat on the Appeals Committee. Glad to see that you're appealing. Sounds like this should be a slam dunk. I'll be interested in hearing the outcome. 

For the second half of my career, I was a hospital Administrator, so I got to deal with the insurance BS from the other side of the fence. 

I'm a neophyte when it comes to insurance claims.  I went from corporate insurance (in which I turned any sort of dispute over to HR) to Medicare/Anthem.  

Frankly, neither my surgeon, you nor me can figure out why they held this up.  My surgeon was under the impression that a single surgery to repair and abductor muscle as well as replacing a hip (being they are all in the same place), would be the most efficient and least invasive vs doin one surgery for the torn abductor and another to replace the hip.

I have no clue what Anthem is thinking.  And yes, they'll be paying AGAIN for a physical and blood work.

But, we start the process again.  Originally, my surgeon was thinking next month to do the surgery.  But, the appeal process is an unknown as far as timing is concerned.  We're now thinking Sept is off the table.  Then, I start looking at the Holidays to be deep into immobility and rehab....something I don't want to do.

It's a toss up as to what to do.  It hurts all the time, but I'm managing.  So, may as well cruise in the interim.

• Like 3

On 8/24/2024 at 10:29 AM, schmoopie17 said:

I just tried a mock, as well. Something is goofy with their airfare.

When I choose the airport, it says 1st guest pays $3400...2nd guest is FREE.

However, in the section where they itemize the costs of the entire trip, it says:

1st guest $3400...2nd guest $2500...total $5900.

????

UPDATE: Just did another mock booking for the June 5, 2026 10-day Viva cruise.

The airfare now shows $1943 (TOTAL) for two from Chicago.

First guest pays $1943. Second guest FREE. 

They must have finally fed hamster that runs on a wheel to power the NCL website.

Having said that, I'd say we would be all in on this one. Great itinerary, newer ship, decent time of year, etc.

Anyone else on board? (pun intended)...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Permission to come aboard 

#SchmoopieFest

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

They must have finally fed hamster that runs on a wheel to power the NCL website.

Having said that, I'd say we would be all in on this one. Great itinerary, newer ship, decent time of year, etc.

Though I don't know where I will be living (in @graphicguy basement is a top contender) or how I will fund this (Only Fan's is a possibility) in 2026, I will put it at the top of my list, as it is a cruise I don't want to miss. Thanks for making the decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

If I'm not mistaken, this #SchmoopieFest cruise falls right around @graphicguy's birthday, and per the laws of the universe, he is obligated to cruise with us on this auspicious occasion.

You are absolutely correct (as usual). It is during his birthday week so cake for everyone!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

If I'm not mistaken, this #SchmoopieFest cruise falls right around @graphicguy's birthday, and per the laws of the universe, he is obligated to cruise with us on this auspicious occasion.

48 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

You are absolutely correct (as usual). It is during his birthday week so cake for everyone!

National Holiday, perhaps?

LOL!

Looking at those cruises now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

Though I don't know where I will be living (in @graphicguy basement is a top contender) or how I will fund this (Only Fan's is a possibility) in 2026, I will put it at the top of my list, as it is a cruise I don't want to miss. Thanks for making the decision.

I put all the doilies on the furniture…so, all fancied up awaiting your arrival!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just went online and looked at the June sailing. A couple of questions for you who cruise solo more than I. The solo rooms are in the $28?? range and the solo balcony rooms are in the $59?? range. Is a balcony cabin worth the extra money for a sailing like this? (I know I am the only one that can decide for myself, but with a port intensive sailing is it worth the extra $$). Airfare for one was listed at $936 for one from Minneapolis on the NCL website. Would I be better off looking for my own or just take the NCL airfare for a European flight?

I will be following this thread for when the final decision is made. Looking forward to being a member of the possie.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, vswan said:

I just went online and looked at the June sailing. A couple of questions for you who cruise solo more than I. The solo rooms are in the $28?? range and the solo balcony rooms are in the $59?? range. Is a balcony cabin worth the extra money for a sailing like this? (I know I am the only one that can decide for myself, but with a port intensive sailing is it worth the extra $$). Airfare for one was listed at $936 for one from Minneapolis on the NCL website. Would I be better off looking for my own or just take the NCL airfare for a European flight?

I will be following this thread for when the final decision is made. Looking forward to being a member of the possie.

For me personally, no, a balcony is not worth the extra money on a cruise like this. I am doing a port intensive cruise in November and am perfectly happy in an inside (I would have taken a studio but they were gone by the time I made up my mind). I have found I am never on my balcony, barely in my cabin, except to sleep and shower. For this same reason I don't usually get the drink package on port intensive cruises...just don't have the time to make the most of it. At almost 3 grand this is an expensive cruise, more than I would normally pay, but I think the memories are going to be priceless. And I am keeping my fingers crossed for a couple of price drops.

As far as airfare, I priced out the same time frame for 2025 and the NCL fares are a good price. Istanbul and Venice are both expensive airports to fly in/out of. I am a person who likes to be in control (understatement) and never used NCL air but know many who have internationally and had great success. I will probably fly out of JFK, just to cut down on layovers.

Hoping this all works out for everyone...the Viva will never be the same!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, vswan said:

The solo rooms are in the $28?? range and the solo balcony rooms are in the $59?? range.

Hello @vswan. Many of us solos would be happy to share our experiences and answer any questions you might have.

For the 6/5/2026 Viva sailing from Istanbul to Ravenna/Venice, I see the following solo cabin prices which include the drinks package (@ $218 per person):

$3152 studio

$3932 inside

$4742 oceanview

$5659 balcony

The dedicated solo cabins all have access to the solo lounge.

44 minutes ago, vswan said:

Is a balcony cabin worth the extra money for a sailing like this? (I know I am the only one that can decide for myself, but with a port intensive sailing is it worth the extra $$).

Personally, I think a solo balcony for $5659 is too rich for my blood. Like you mentioned, this is a port intensive cruise and one might not make much use of the balcony for such a sailing. However, it is a personal choice and if you like balcony rooms, the Viva has great balcony rooms. I will say that the Viva and Prima ships have the roomiest studio, inside and oceanview cabins of the fleet.

52 minutes ago, vswan said:

Airfare for one was listed at $936 for one from Minneapolis on the NCL website. Would I be better off looking for my own or just take the NCL airfare for a European flight?

I do not have experience with NCL Air so perhaps someone else can help you with this question.

I prefer to book my own flights simply because I want more control of my itinerary, even if the airfare might be more expensive than NCL's airfares.

Other folks prefer NCL to handle their flights and arrange for hotels and transfers to the port for a seamless travel experience. I have heard from others that NCL's airfares are often a good deal, especially flying to Europe.

My one recommendation is to plan to arrive at the embarkation city at least two days prior to embarkation day in case of any hiccups along the way. If you are flying from Minneapolis, you will likely have at least one or maybe two connections, and one missed connection or cancellation on an international itinerary can cause an unfortunate domino effect. If you book with NCL Air, ask for a two or three day deviation.

@schmoopie17 and @cruiseny4life and anyone else with NCL Air experience, can you share your thoughts.

That June Viva sailing looks high.  VIVA is a new ship, though.  10 day sailing, too.  I just don’t like those fares, not even a little!

If you’re stuck on this cruise, I’d wait for a while and monitor fares.  They might not come down given it’s a Viva sailing, though!

Edited by graphicguy

9 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

@schmoopie17 and @cruiseny4life and anyone else with NCL Air experience, can you share your thoughts.

Happy Tuesday, y'all! 

Sugar, you're up there being all travel agenty! What a helpful post!! 

I've used NCL BOGO Air twice. Once domestically and once internationally. Both times it was superb. Between the two different trips we saved roughly $4,000 based on the flights we were given. 

I was a little nervous flying from JFK to Paris as the connection time to Barcelona was 80 minutes. The flight left JFK about ten minutes late, but worst case, we already knew we'd just book a flight the next day and explore Paris on the extended layover. This is why it's so important to request at least a one day deviation (you arrive a day or two earlier than the cruise). 

We had nothing to fear, though. We went through all the securities and had time to enjoy a few French pastries in the airport. 

On our domestic flight, the flight was delayed or canceled (my feeble mind doesn't remember). Delta auto booked us a new flight we didn't like, so we explored the app and selected a flight we did like. Delta's selection got us home at midnight. Ours at 5 PM. The process was smooth and worked just like we had booked the ticket ourselves. 

For both flights, we were able to select our own seats (except for SYR to JFK) and upgrade which we did so we'd have a little more space for our long legs. 

So, our experience, has been wonderful! I know some will disagree, but many of them haven't even ever used the NCL BOGO Air program. They just don't like the concept. There are legit horror stories out there. Some are the travelers fault for not reading the terms. And, NCL does bear blame in some other situations. Overall, it's a great program that has saved us money. 

• Like 4

@mking8288  oh Lordy…I’m unsure those Cunard Royalists are ready for our beloved @cruiseny4life.  I actually can picture Cruiseny4life in the white tux, baby blue trim with matching top hat🙃.

It looks like you and the family are truly enjoying your cruise.  And, I’m truly enjoying your LIVE.  But I have to say I have mixed feelings on whether I would enjoy Cunard…it just seems a little too formal for me.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

We've never used NCL BOGO, although we usually book it when we make the reservation just to lock a good fare in. Then we look at booking our own fares independently, and canceling the BOGO, which we've always ended up doing. 

Having said that, it might be hard to beat their fare from O'Hare. (I'm a poet...)

@cruiseny4lifesummed up his experience nicely.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2024 at 11:35 AM, schmoopie17 said:

So.... @schmoopie17, are you saying the official first ever #schmoopiefest will begin June 5, 2026? We are most definitely onboard, however (unless staterooms look like they're really getting snapped up by your fans), we're going to book after our February cruise so we can purchase a couple of Cruise Next's to use on the booking. I'm secretly kind of hoping the Haven will sell out by then so we are forced to book a normal room. 

Let's have the final SCHMOOPIE decision, good sir! 

Unrelated, but @laudergayle, the blue trim will make my eyes sparkle and dazzle all those around on one of the queens! All shall be smitten, even if they're not quite ready! Perhaps, to fit in, a cane as well. 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Perhaps, to fit in, a cane as well. 

I actually visualized the cane, too!  And, yes…I’m positive you would captivate the hearts of many!  Unfortunately, I would likely not be a witness.