Icon dining package - why?

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

For a cruise on the icon, the pre cruise 3 night dining package is $142/pp.

On the wonder, we were able to use this for

-chops

-izumi

-wonderland

-Giovani's

-hooked

-150 Central Park

-mason jar

on the icon, we would love to purchase this to try different restaurants but are a little confused as to why we would and if we are missing something.

-hooked

-izumi

-Giovani's

-chops

The first two restaurants aren’t that unique.  We always love the second two but are a little surprised that there are 1/3 the speciality choices for dinner as on oasis class ships.  We can’t use the dining package for empire supper club, even with a surcharge, or else we would maybe consider this.

Has anyone done the dining package on icon?  We are wondering if since there isn’t a good choice for a third restaurant such as wonderland or 150 Central Park if we are just better off booking chops and Giovani's?

Edited by cusematt4

57 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

We always love the second two but are a little surprised that there are 1/3 the specialty choices for dinner as on oasis class ships

If you see no value or interesting dining, skip the package.

Thanks.  Was just wondering if I’m missing something that experienced Icon cruises could point to.  Or if there really are half the speciality restaurants. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, juiceman said:

Basecamp is a free restaurant.

It has both included and extra charge items.  The extra charge items would be included in your UDP up to $20 per day.

Icon-of-the-Seas-Basecamp-menu-page-1.png.thumb.webp.0b9489d9c9016a2071ebefad8b57601e.webp

Icon-of-the-Seas-Basecamp-menu-page-2.png.webp.eaef5bf503426d305cf48e24525e0650.webp

Edited by Tree_skier

Posted (edited)

Pier 7 was the best meal I had on Icon, beating Chops and Hooked. I would choose Pier 7 over any other Royal speciality except 150 Central Park and toss up with Giovanni Table. 

However, it's cheap and better not to use as part of dining package.   

Edited by SUgwoz

2 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

Pier 7 was the best meal I had on Icon, beating Chops and Hooked. I would choose Pier 7 over any other Royal speciality except 150 Central Park and toss up with Giovanni Table. 

However, it's cheap and better not to use as part of dining package.   

My plan is to hit it up one day for a lunch...

I think the OP question was focused on the 3 venue dining package - I agree, unless you want to repeat one of the more expensive restaurants, there may not be value in the package.

We did a back-to-back on Icon in May.  We took no dining package the first week (so we could focus on all the included venues) and the Ultimate Dining Package the second week (to focus on the extra cost venues/items).  I will say, compared to Oasis class ships, we felt we really struggled to get "value" from the UDP given the fewer venues as well as given the increased number of included venues.  In the end, we did squeeze as much value from the UDP as possible, but we really had to "try" to do it by both repeating several restaurants and taking advantage of the discount offered on the Supper Club (which we loved).  In short, we would not get the UDP again on Icon.

5 hours ago, ocdb8r said:

In short, we would not get the UDP again on Icon.

I agree. We did the UDP on Icon back in March of this year. I don't think we'd do it again. Don't get me wrong; the food was great, however, overall, given the cost and all of the included options, I don't think I could justify getting the UDP again on Icon... Just my two cents...