First-time Alaska: Skagway/Dawes vs Juneau/Hubbard

Posted (edited)

My husband and I are looking to book a 7-day, round-trip cruise from Vancouver on the Celebrity Solstice for our anniversary in June 2025. It would be our first time to Alaska and our first Celebrity sailing. Both itineraries include the Inside Passage, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan, and are priced similarly. 

The first itinerary includes:

Skagway

Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier

While the second offers up:

Hubbard Glacier

Juneau

Which would you choose for a first-timer? We will definitely want to do a whale watching excursion (most likely out of ISP), and if we were to do Skagway, I'd likely book the railway, too. Just torn about Hubbard vs Skagway. I'd love to see a calving glacier up close, and Hubbard looks more impressive than Dawes/Endicott Arm. But I also love the idea of seeing some of the inland Yukon territory, too. 

Thank you for any help you can offer me!  

Edited by ohiocruiser76

3 hours ago, ohiocruiser76 said:

My husband and I are looking to book a 7-day, round-trip cruise from Vancouver on the Celebrity Solstice for our anniversary in June 2025. It would be our first time to Alaska and our first Celebrity sailing. Both itineraries include the Inside Passage, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan, and are priced similarly. 

Skagway

Hubbard Glacier

Juneau

Which would you choose for a first-timer? We will definitely want to do a whale watching excursion (most likely out of ISP), and if we were to do Skagway, I'd likely book the railway, too. Just torn about Hubbard vs Skagway. I'd love to see a calving glacier up close, and Hubbard looks more impressive than Dawes/Endicott Arm. But I also love the idea of seeing some of the inland Yukon territory, too. 

We recently sailed to Alaska on Celebrity Edge out of Seattle, WA.   Our itinerary was Ketchikan, Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier, Juneau, and Skagway.  We sailed May 31 - June 7, 2024.

We got up at 5 am and watched the sailing to Dawes on Deck.  It was breathtaking.  There was also an excursion boat that picked up a group from the ship and took them closer to the glacier.  They actually did see the calving of the glacier.  (I saw the video from someone who took the excursion).

We took the railway in Skagway.  It was beautiful.  If you do this excursion, sit on the left side of the train car. That is what the Naturalist on the ship suggested. 😃 

When we were in Skagway, there were a lot of people who signed up for a helicopter glacier tour, and it was delayed and then canceled due to some bad weather.  So they never made it.  

whichever one you choose will be amazing and Vancouver is one of our favorite cities to sail from.

The best piece of advice we received and took was to purchase "Frog Togg" waterproof pants to take with us.  Ketchikan is VERY rainy and we took a boating excursion.  I wore them over my leggings, and we were some of the few people who had dry pants getting back on the ship.  😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ohiocruiser76 said:

Skagway

Hubbard Glacier

Juneau

Our itinerary included Hubbard and it was magnificent since we had a gorgeous sunny day. We arrived in late morning so maybe take into consideration arrival time between the 2 itineraries? We saw lots of calving and the ship got much closer than we expected. We did a whale watching excursion from ISP/Hoonah - also amazing. Enjoy your anniversary cruise!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

We recently sailed to Alaska on Celebrity Edge out of Seattle, WA.   Our itinerary was Ketchikan, Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier, Juneau, and Skagway.  We sailed May 31 - June 7, 2024.

We got up at 5 am and watched the sailing to Dawes on Deck.  It was breathtaking.  There was also an excursion boat that picked up a group from the ship and took them closer to the glacier.  They actually did see the calving of the glacier.  (I saw the video from someone who took the excursion).

We took the railway in Skagway.  It was beautiful.  If you do this excursion, sit on the left side of the train car. That is what the Naturalist on the ship suggested. 😃 

When we were in Skagway, there were a lot of people who signed up for a helicopter glacier tour, and it was delayed and then canceled due to some bad weather.  So they never made it.  

whichever one you choose will be amazing and Vancouver is one of our favorite cities to sail from.

The best piece of advice we received and took was to purchase "Frog Togg" waterproof pants to take with us.  Ketchikan is VERY rainy and we took a boating excursion.  I wore them over my leggings, and we were some of the few people who had dry pants getting back on the ship.  😃

Thank you so much for the great tips! Already putting those pants in my Amazon cart. 😀 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ohiocruiser76 said:

Skagway

Hubbard Glacier

Juneau

We booked the Dawes Glacier option. My research showed both glaciers are impressive and Dawes supposedly has "epic calving" but ultimately because the ship (Celebrity Edge) is so nice and more spacious.

Posted (edited)

My opinion is that it is a wash.  Either cruise would be fabulous.  I have been to all these places several times and I honestly would be hard-pressed to pick one over the other.  So at the end of the day I would say pick the one where you can get the best located and type of cabin for the best price.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Thanks 1

Very hard choice. Skagway is our favorite Alaska port, and Hubbard is our favorite glacier. If you luck out and get Hubbard on a clear day, the calving is amazing. If you plan to take another cruise to Alaska in the future, I would go with Hubbard this time since more ships visit Skagway then Hubbard so it would be easy to catch Skagway next time. Most of the ships that visit Hubbard are Anchorage/Vancouver (NB, SB), or Vancouver RT. Skagway has those voyages and also Seattle RT so more choices next time. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, royal3 said:

Very hard choice. Skagway is our favorite Alaska port, and Hubbard is our favorite glacier. If you luck out and get Hubbard on a clear day, the calving is amazing. If you plan to take another cruise to Alaska in the future, I would go with Hubbard this time since more ships visit Skagway then Hubbard so it would be easy to catch Skagway next time. Most of the ships that visit Hubbard are Anchorage/Vancouver (NB, SB), or Vancouver RT. Skagway has those voyages and also Seattle RT so more choices next time. 

I appreciate everyone's input so much. I think this is a great suggestion. Hubbard this time, Skagway on a future trip...I already have a sneaking suspicion I'll fall in love with Alaska. 🙂

• Like 1

Just back from B2B out of Vancouver on the Summit.  We wanted to see Hubbard again as it is spectacular and have the time, sailed Vancouver to Seward and stayed on for the return.  Was blessed with two days the Captain was able to take the ship in quite close.  Very different from Dawes experience but at Dawes the expedition boat excursion was wonderful and sailed us along the coast to meet the ship in Juneau - saw beautiful wildlife on that sail back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone who has been to Athens (my DD taught at OU and lived across the street from Miller’s Chicken) I respectfully submit that I would choose the Skagway option.

We will be in Alaska for the 4th time this fall and Skagway offers more than the other stops. Ketchikan is fun, but Juneau is more of a city, and ISP has become just a cruise company port with locals working at it. Skagway has character, and history, and the train ride. Bring some high powered binoculars and you can see (and hear) the glaciers calving at either of those options.

• Like 1

Our first trip to Alaska included seeing Hubbard Glacier. It was magnificent to be out there in the sun hearing the cracks and then watching for the calving. It actually got hot in the bright sun with no wind once we arrived. The Capt slowly rotates the ship so everyone from anywhere near a window can see the glacier.  

We were prepared so we could do this with hats and a puff coat to ride on the helicopter port as we’re heading out. The wind is cold. We saw seals on the chunks of ice. 

We have also been to Dawes Glacier a few times. The scenery is beautiful there too but the ship cannot get as close to the glacier. 

Skagway is also our favorite port. 

• Thanks 1

As others have said, you cannot go wrong with either option.  And if the weather cooperates whichever you choose will be incredible.
For us, Hubbard Glacier is must see.  We been there twice!!

_DSC0723.jpg

DSC_0231.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 6:19 PM, ohiocruiser76 said:

Skagway

Hubbard Glacier

Juneau

Thank you for any help you can offer me!  a

We have done the Dawes glacier inside passage twice and both times we did not do the shore excursions.  We felt they were too cold, too wet, too salmon heavy (DH does not eat salmon), or lumberjack heavy.  We just enjoyed walking the towns or staying on board.  I will say the White Pass Railroad in Ketchikan is NOT to be missed.  Well worth the price.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

Skagway for the white pass rail. One of the best excursions I ever did.

IMG_5179.jpeg

IMG_5139.jpeg

IMG_5111.jpeg

IMG_5058.jpeg

IMG_5023.jpeg

I will second that.  Skagway railroad was probably the best excursion we also took. Very beautiful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2024 at 1:39 PM, robbinsca said:

As someone who has been to Athens (my DD taught at OU and lived across the street from Miller’s Chicken) I respectfully submit that I would choose the Skagway option.

We will be in Alaska for the 4th time this fall and Skagway offers more than the other stops. Ketchikan is fun, but Juneau is more of a city, and ISP has become just a cruise company port with locals working at it. Skagway has character, and history, and the train ride. Bring some high powered binoculars and you can see (and hear) the glaciers calving at either of those options.

I know Miller's well! 😁

Thanks for the wonderful tips! I will definitely pack binoculars!