Doing a transatlantic for the 1st time next April and will end in London. Return flights one way home are double the price of a round trip. Anyone have experience with booking flights round trip but not taking the second return back?

You may want to check in the 'cruise air' forum about one way flights and how to get reasonable deals.

Some lines may have special airfare deals available.

We have sidestepped the entire 'one way air' issue - back in 2017 after pricing airfare, ground transportation and a couple of nights lodging - we decided it would be easier just to book a QM2 round trip sailing [I had the vacation days available]

It might be too early for good pricing on one-way tickets.  It also depends on where you're flying.  Larger cities will probably have better prices because budget international carriers go there.  I see flights to Orlando from London as low as $315 in October (Norse Atlantic) but the lowest I see in April is $661(IcelandAir).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, akeka said:

It might be too early for good pricing on one-way tickets.  It also depends on where you're flying.  Larger cities will probably have better prices because budget international carriers go there.  I see flights to Orlando from London as low as $315 in October (Norse Atlantic) but the lowest I see in April is $661(IcelandAir).

I think flights to Europe one way are fine, its the ones from Europe home that are an issue

Edited by FLAlaska

3 hours ago, FLAlaska said:

I think flights to Europe one way are fine, its the ones from Europe home that are an issue

Just what do you mean by that?   That pricing is significantly different depending on direction?

You might find issues with UK or other taxes, but otherwise I believe you are very off base.

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

@FlyerTalker Do you have any advice here?

OP doesn't give dates or cities, but there are numerous one-way options across the Atlantic.  Icelandair, TAP, Norse and some others are out there.  But if they just want non-stops, now pricing will likely rise.

10 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Just what do you mean by that?   That pricing is significantly different depending on direction?

You might find issues with UK or other taxes, but otherwise I believe you are very off base.

You are right, I might be  way off.  I just remember trying to book one way from Europe home and it was ridiculous compared to the round trip. Ive never had that issue going to Europe.  

You did mention Norse. Do you have any experience with them? Im always concerned about booking and then seeing these airlines go under.

I always use a flight search engine to look for flights. My usual airline was very expensive for a one way to London but I found another airline which was half the price. It’s not direct but and I don’t get the perks of lounge access and free luggage but it’s still much cheaper.

We want to do our first TA next year in November, thinking of doing a westbound. We always fly with American Airlines to get the miles. We looked up what the cost would be on a one way from Orlando to Gatwick this November and the fares are the same as if you were going to book a roundtrip:. Main $1,068 pp and PE $2,197 pp.  This would be on British Airways since they codeshare with AA. 

Posted (edited)

Since the rise in air prices some lines are experimenting with more transatlantics that are not repositioning.  Of course Cunard sails transatlantics throughout the year.  My next year’s transatlantic in September goes eastbound on Carnival then a few weeks later westbound with Holland.   Since I usually only fly business class I am saving dollars.  If you have the time it is the way to go. 

I always check the cruise line and some consolidator rates before I book the cruises as occasionally I might be rewarded with a great deal. 

Edited by Mary229

4 hours ago, travellovers2 said:

We want to do our first TA next year in November, thinking of doing a westbound. We always fly with American Airlines to get the miles. We looked up what the cost would be on a one way from Orlando to Gatwick this November and the fares are the same as if you were going to book a roundtrip:. Main $1,068 pp and PE $2,197 pp.  This would be on British Airways since they codeshare with AA. 

I usually always fly Air Canada for the miles and my perks but when another airline is half the price those perks and miles really make no sense financially. I’m flying Montreal to Gatwick on December 1st. Main cabin was $931 CAD with AC and I got my flight for $450 CAD on Air Transat.

On 6/21/2024 at 4:37 AM, Margaretealexander said:

Doing a transatlantic for the 1st time next April and will end in London. Return flights one way home are double the price of a round trip. Anyone have experience with booking flights round trip but not taking the second return back?

Did the same this April.

One way home was $2Kpp--WHAT??!!

So I looked at RT--London to Omaha then Omaha to London--only $1200PP. Go figure.

So that's what we did.

Then our friends booked via Princess Air for about $750pp one way. DANGIT.

We got lucky...our "return" flight got changed by several hours SO with the new law, we were able to cancel & get our money back! So in the end, we also only paid about $750pp.

So my advice

1--look at air via your cruise line 1st.

2--then look at round trip tickets with a "fake" return flight. You CAN cancel that leg when you get home & you will have a credit--BUT it must be used within 1 year of the ORIGINAL purchase date. SO you might wait a few months to book, to give yourself a reasonable window of time to use that credit after you sail.

• Like 2