Princess Newbie - question on complimentary upgrade Diamond Princess

CCJack

Just booked our first Princess Cruise on Diamond Princess! However, we have sailed many other lines.   I booked through a warehouse club travel website, which I have used many times for cruises.  For this cruise,  I was given the option of "Complementary Upgrade M"  and another for "N" and another for "Y".    I checked all 3 boxes, I assume that is a Princess thing allowing them to upgrade your cabin.   However, I don't know what the M,N and Y mean.   It appears that some suites have the cabin code "M" but I don't see any cabins labeled N or Y.    If this upgrade is a bad idea, I can cancel and rebook.  The cruise is a long way off.  Our current cabin is BD deck 11.  We don't really care about location on ship in terms of walking, but I wouldn't want an obstructed view cabin.    

Please share any thoughts.  thanks.

This sounds like a gimmick by the agency.  Princess does not have 'M', 'N', or 'Y' as booking options.  Princess is offering a short 'sale' where you can book a cabin at the fare for the lesser location (like forward or aft) and book a better location.  In other words, for example, Forward and mid-forward are both at the same fare.

With Princess, if you book a RESERVE or GTY,  then you will get a cabin in that category or higher.  It could be slightly higher category, but perhaps in a less desirable location.  (far forward, above noisy venue, etc). Princess will not move you down into a lesser Category.  (They would have to make an offer to you to consider)

Do you know if your booking is a RESERVE / GTY guarantee, or did you choose that specific cabin?

Depending on the different fares. (sometimes a RESERVE / GTY can be offered at a lower fare than when choosing your cabin) Perhaps you would want to choose some Onboard Credit if that is also offered?

Have you spoken with a decent agent that you are able to work with?

You would have to speak with one of their agents to understand the details.

12 minutes ago, CCJack said:

Just booked our first Princess Cruise on Diamond Princess! However, we have sailed many other lines.   I booked through a warehouse club travel website, which I have used many times for cruises.  For this cruise,  I was given the option of "Complementary Upgrade M"  and another for "N" and another for "Y".    I checked all 3 boxes, I assume that is a Princess thing allowing them to upgrade your cabin.   However, I don't know what the M,N and Y mean.   It appears that some suites have the cabin code "M" but I don't see any cabins labeled N or Y.    If this upgrade is a bad idea, I can cancel and rebook.  The cruise is a long way off.  Our current cabin is BD deck 11.  We don't really care about location on ship in terms of walking, but I wouldn't want an obstructed view cabin.    

Please share any thoughts.  thanks.

If you're in a BD, you won't be assigned an obstructed view cabin. But you still might not like the upgrade. My suggestion is for you to look at all cabins on that ship that are a higher category and see if there're any that you really wouldn't like. I have no idea what those upgrade codes mean.

If I am correct, a BD cabin would be AFT on Deck 11.  

Check deck plans and look at the categories - they are color coded.

An upgrade would likely be mid-Forward or mid-AFT or mid-ship.   It would not be far forward, as these seem to be BE.  You might likely get a cabin that is BA, BB, or BC.

Again, you would not get an obstructed balcony or a far-Forward balcony.

There are mid-Forward balconies up on Lido that are BC...  so that would be possible.

Again, I think only an agent at this company can really explain all of this.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Thank you all...  I reserved a specific cabin (B629) when I booked.   I will call the agency tomorrow.   Have booked many cruises with them and pleased with their service.  I never was presented those options for other cruise lines. 

clarification... it was not "Complementary Upgrade, choose M,N or Y."

It was:

Complementary Upgrade M:   Y/N

Complementary Upgrade N:    Y/N

Complementary Upgrade  Y:    Y/N  

That explains it, and why we don't know.

I searched online and this code is specific to a Big Box Store which offers travel services. No, I don't know the meaning. Call them. There should be transparency about this.

You are on Baja deck, Diamond Princess, aft balcony. There are no obstructed view cabins there. There are some on Caribe and many on Emerald deck. This would be a downgrade so don't sweat it.

Edited by mtnesterz

Guessing it is a gimmick related to the Princess 'location upgrade' sale.

Probably no biggie.

You will receive a cabin that is at least a BD...  BC is good, unless you don't want one on Lido Deck.  BB and BA are even better.  Mid ship and Mid Forward.

Basically the Princess Sale is that, for example, all cabins that are BE thru BB are offered at the same (supposedly lower) price, so that you are getting a better category without the slightly higher fare.

I just talked to the agent...  PacnGoNow was the closest!

The wording on the website is very poor:

what it means is:

"Y" means yes, you will take any cabin upgrade above your current classification (mine is BD)

"N" means no, you don't want an upgrade.

"M" means meta, you want an upgrade but only meta class (blacony) and not above.

Since I chose yes (actually clicked a box) for all 3, it defaults to the N, so I currently am not eligible for any upgrade. 

The agent can change that.   So the next question is if I get upgraded to any thing above BD is there any cabins I that could be viewed as a downgrade?

Edited by CCJack
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Guessing it is a gimmick related to the Princess 'location upgrade' sale.

Probably no biggie.

You will receive a cabin that is at least a BD...  BC is good, unless you don't want one on Lido Deck.  BB and BA are even better.  Mid ship and Mid Forward.

Basically the Princess Sale is that, for example, all cabins that are BE thru BB are offered at the same (supposedly lower) price, so that you are getting a better category without the slightly higher fare.

You should preface this with in my opinion. I always book aft so BD is in my opinion better than BC, BB or BA as I do not like their locations. I always mark bookings with no upgrade. 

10 minutes ago, CCJack said:

what it means is:

"Y" means yes, you will take any cabin upgrade above your current classification (mine is BD)

"M" means meta, you want an upgrade but only meta class (blacony) and not above.

Since I chose yes (actually clicked a box) for all 3, it defaults to the N, so I currently am not eligible for any upgrade. 

The agent can change that.   So the next question is if I get upgraded to any thing above BD is there any cabins I that could be viewed as a downgrade?

It all depends on personal preferences. Some like midship some like aft etc.   We personally like aft so we would want to stay there but others prefer mid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCJack said:

what it means is:

I was just going to chime in with the same response when I read your post.  Of course, you are correct.  I was a little surprised that more members didn’t know that.  I guess it’s the “meta” that gets people stymied.   Thank you for clarifying.

I am surprised that any agency puts these choices out there like this.

I was wondering if 'Meta' was going the way of the Dinosaurs.

And, with the bidding system in place...  That limits complementary upgrades.

CCJack,  Meta means a true, full category upgrade.  If you are in a Balcony cabin, then this means that you will accept an upgrade that would be a Mini-Suite or higher.

If you are considering a MiniSuite - I believe that the ones on Deck 9 have balconies that are open and NOT covered.     (I do not think that an upgrade from Balcony to Premium Balcony would be a Meta upgrade)

As mentioned, most all Balcony cabins would the about the same or better than your BD.

The only catch I see is that if you do not like being on the higher decks and Lido deck.  There are some up there.

Premium Balcony would have a deeper, larger, half-covered balcony, on Deck 10.

That would be nice.  The interior cabin is exactly the same.

NOTE:  If you are AFT on deck 11, a move down to Deck 10 AFT might get you one of these larger balconies at no extra cost.  Right now, ONLY the ones mid-ship and mid-forward on Deck 10 are a Premium Balcony category.

I might consider booking one of these, with NO UPGRADE.  Especially if having some cover on your balcony might be important.

As we are saying, a lot of this is preference.

If you are not too picky about location, and would not mind being more forward, or too high,  then you would probably be okay with any upgrade.

Edited by Wishing on a star

25 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am surprised that any agency puts these choices out there like this.

CCJack,  Meta means a true, full category upgrade.  If you are in a Balcony cabin, then this means that you will accept an upgrade that would be a Mini-Suite or higher.

Thank you.    Yes, I think these words on their website are maybe in "travel agent" language, and somehow they got put on the customer facing side of the  website.  There is no way a regular customer could decifer those words without help.

Just to be clear, if I answer Yes - would be considered for any upgrade even a BD to BB as an example.    But if I answered "M" then they would not propose a BD to BB but only to a mini suite, or higher correct?

I will also look at your suggestion of deck 10 aft.