Viking Long Ship Aquarium Class Staterooms

I know I read a post about which of the rooms on this deck were noisy and which weren’t, but I sure can’t find it now😡

Would love thoughts on the pro/con of particular rooms in this category. 

TIA

We were in “aquarium class” ( aka “ swan view”) on a Rhine cruise a few years ago and will again be on the same deck on an upcoming cruise. We were in a cabin towards the bow and, as the river was low that summer, heard a lot of gravel/ stones being kicked up against the hull when under sail during the night. Other than that it was quiet. Another con is that the elevator does not go to that deck if that is an issue for you.  Those were the cons as far as we were concerned. The pro, for us, was that it was not as pricey as the cabins on the upper decks so we had extra funds to spend on such things as special excursions. We were not in the cabin much so didn’t miss a balcony. When we were sailing during the day or evening, we were in the lounge or on the sun deck to see both sides of the river. Plus when we were docked, we were often “rafted“ to another ship, so sitting on the balcony would have been a bit public as you would be staring into the ship next door (and they would be starting at you!). Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryan208 said:

We were in “aquarium class” ( aka “ swan view”) on a Rhine cruise a few years ago and will again be on the same deck on an upcoming cruise. We were in a cabin towards the bow and, as the river was low that summer, heard a lot of gravel/ stones being kicked up against the hull when under sail during the night. Other than that it was quiet. Another con is that the elevator does not go to that deck if that is an issue for you.  Those were the cons as far as we were concerned. The pro, for us, was that it was not as pricey as the cabins on the upper decks so we had extra funds to spend on such things as special excursions. We were not in the cabin much so didn’t miss a balcony. When we were sailing during the day or evening, we were in the lounge or on the sun deck to see both sides of the river. Plus when we were docked, we were often “rafted“ to another ship, so sitting on the balcony would have been a bit public as you would be staring into the ship next door (and they would be starting at you!). Hope this helps. 

It does. Thanks! I recall similar comments from the post I now can’t find.  It seems others posted about an issue with noise depending on location along the hallway. 

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

It does. Thanks! I recall similar comments from the post I now can’t find.  It seems others posted about an issue with noise depending on location along the hallway. 

Clay, we were only in one of these "basement" cabins as I tend to call them on the Douro River which does not sail at night, only during daylight hours, so noise was never an issue for us.

I personally would think that Hull noises would be more in low water levels rather than high, but that is a crap shoot at any time on a River cruise.

What concerned me more was we did this cruise before covid, and then after stories of folks confined to their cabins for extended periods when covid hit big time, I thought I would go mad in a cabin that I could not open a window.  So we have only done french balconies post covid.

I have lived in many highrise buildings over my adult years in big cities and there are those buildings that have balconies and those that don't.  I need that balcony.

On the river ship, I am fine with french balcony, but I need that opening window.

Personally I found these cabins slightly claustrophobic.

• Thanks 1

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Viking Long Ship Aquarium Class Staterooms

We did aquarium class with Avalon a few years ago and it was fine.  We chose that room because it would have been about $1000 per person more to move upstairs.  Last year we had a french balcony with Gate 1 because it only cost $200 per person to move up.  I remain satisfied with both choices.  The upstairs room was better, just not $2000 better.  

The reality is that there are very few daytime hours spent in the room looking out the window.  There are also plenty of public areas to get a better view and more outside air.  Otherwise, your cruise experience is the same regardless of room.  So for us, moving upstairs is worth somewhere between $400 and $2000, no doubt closer to the $400.

I have stayed  in this class of rooms, and didn't  find them noisy.  Sometimes, when the boat is moving there's the swish of water but it never woke me and if it was present when I went to bed it soothed me off to sleep.

Never had low water so didn't experience the bottom grating.

I found we spent little time in the cabin, sleep, using the bathroom and getting dressed. Meals, excursions and events in Lounge seemed to take up the day, and if there was something worth seeing on the river banks, then the sundeck or lounge was the place to be as both banks can be seen.

The room is fitted out the same as others. I was quite happy booking there and using the money saved on life's essentials - such as decent wines..

However - Mrs P is too short to see out the high window and she  ruled that we can't stay there, so since then we have stayed mostly in French Balcony rooms. Despite the name, there is no balcony, just floor to ceiling glass facing the river with a slide open half.

A proper balcony is called a veranda by Viking, and it's really only of use in fine weather, and as others have remarked not if another boat is rafted alongside

Posted (edited)

Mrs Sharkster cannot see out of the aquarium windows either, but the cost increase to have a french balcony wasn't worth getting a view---she agrees that other than sleeping and changing clothing, we aren't in our cabin at all.

On our tulip cruise this past spring, french balcony was close to, if not more than, $1000 pp more than aquarium class.  $2000 can buy a lot of vacation!

Edited by sharkster77

We are on one at present, room 110, no real problems at all. People in the first room on the side of the odd numbers have said there is a lot of noise from above with chairs being moved - think there is the reception / office above 🤦‍♀️. Generally ok if there are cabins above your room, though interestingly those at the back of the ship seem to suffer far more engine noise 🤷‍♀️.

3 hours ago, downsmead said:

We are on one at present, room 110, no real problems at all. People in the first room on the side of the odd numbers have said there is a lot of noise from above with chairs being moved - think there is the reception / office above 🤦‍♀️. Generally ok if there are cabins above your room, though interestingly those at the back of the ship seem to suffer far more engine noise 🤷‍♀️.

Thanks!

Clay-  We've stayed in Aquarium class twice.  A low level cruise, we heard some debris bounce along the ship keel, nothing major.  Last one was high water, a bang or two going into a lock is all.

On other lines we go up a deck as the increase to a French Balcony isn't as much.  As others have said, rafting eliminates your view sometimes, and I think Viking 'may' do more rafting than others.

Last, thanks for all your input over on Oceans, our first Viking Ocean cruise is coming up.  I've learned from, and enjoyed your input.  Whatever your cabin choice, hoping for good waters levels and smooth sailing for you. What cruise are you thinking of?

I have silicone ear plugs that are beside my bed at home and while travelling.  

If ever there is noise, these pop in and I am asleep again in minutes.  These are not the ones that airlines give you, these are proper silicone discs that mold to your ear.  

Noise, whether your partner snoring or hull noise are not a problem.

• Like 1

We have stayed in the French Balcony rooms, as well as lower level.  There are pros / cons to each. Balcony -  If sailing peak season, chances are about 99% that your boat will be rafted at stops, thus curtain drawn, sliding door closed, making room dark with no view.  We did enjoy having door open when sailing at night.  

The lower level room is much less expensive, slightly larger than a French Balcony and the high window does let in quite a bit of light.  We would hear a light gurgling noise of waves against side of boat as we cruised, and found it rather soothing.  Other than that the room is very quiet.  

Neither level of cabins, are  made for more than sleeping / changing clothes on a river cruise.  There is little extra space, and even with a balcony - limited 1-sided view.  Everyone goes to the lounge or on top to see all directions.  On the Grand European we chose a balcony cabin because of the length of the cruise.  On the others, we took the lower level..and enjoyed them just as much.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I have silicone ear plugs that are beside my bed at home and while travelling.  

If ever there is noise, these pop in and I am asleep again in minutes.  These are not the ones that airlines give you, these are proper silicone discs that mold to your ear.  

Noise, whether your partner snoring or hull noise are not a problem.

I love my silicone ear plugs.  I never travel without them.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 5:23 PM, downsmead said:

I went on 2 Viking river cruises last fall/winter (the 2nd was such an incredible bargain I couldn't pass it up even though I'd just been on a river cruise...) both in "aquarium class," and the feedback I got from others was as Downsmead said.  My cabin both times was just a few doors down from the stairs (on the left as you go down the stairs) and I heard no noise from upstairs or anything.  The rivers were pretty high both times and I was occasionally woken at night from the ship banging against the sides of locks--but I'm a light sleeper.  That was the only noise issue I had. 

You guys going on a river cruise?  I really enjoyed mine.  Even though I came down with Covid the day after I returned from the 2nd one.

• Like 1