Activities for 18-20 year olds?

lecach

We sailed on RCCL last month and despite hearing they had activities for this age group they really didn't.

My son will be 20 on our next cruise and we're looking at Vista in May. This will be his first Carnival cruise since aging out of the kids clubs and we're wondering if Carnival has anything organized for this group?  I did a google search and found an article from 2015 announcing a new 1820 Club on John Healds page but didn't find anything more recent.  

25 minutes ago, lecach said:

My son will be 20 on our next cruise, we're wondering if Carnival has anything organized for this group? 

well, since he is now an adult, he can participate in pretty much ALL of the activities Carnival schedules for adults (except for the ones involving alcohol).

Nobody needs to hold his hand and have him participate in organized activities for teens like scavenger hunts, teen karaoke, teen dance parties, etc.

• Like 3

True - he doesn't need his hand held. However he got tired of wandering by himself or hanging out with Mom and Grandma on our cruise last month. He used to love the kids clubs and always made a lot of friends on the first night that he hung out with all week.  Without an organized group it made that difficult.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, lecach said:

True - he doesn't need his hand held. However he got tired of wandering by himself or hanging out with Mom and Grandma on our cruise last month. He used to love the kids clubs and always made a lot of friends on the first night that he hung out with all week.  Without an organized group it made that difficult.  

That's what I mean when I say there's not much onboard for that age group. There are no organized things. I would say to be active on the social media roll calls for the cruise and ask for others who may be in a similar situation and set up your own meet and greet.

It’s a tough age for cruising. On our last NCL cruise, my 19 and 20 year olds made it a point to try and meet others. NCL did offer some young adult meet ups, plus they ran into a girl they met in the teen club on a previous cruise. They did go to bars in Nassau with their group.

There have been 18-20 meetups in the Fun Times on all of my recent cruises. Sometimes during the day, sometimes at night. There is usually a Fun Squad crew member who organizes some icebreakers. Some have more of a turnout than others, which ultimately depends on the time of year you travel and how many teens there are. Usually, the teens go to the first meetup and exchange chat information for the Hub app ($5 chat option for the whole cruise) then do not attend the structured meetups the other days/nights and hang out on their own. Aside from these, 18-20 year olds can participate in any adult activities such as rated R comedy, the adult scavenger hunt called Quest, etc, unless drinking is involved.

• Like 1

Our 18 (almost 19) year old also found it a bit boring because he fell in that same category when we sailed 2 years ago. They're too old for the teen clubs, but they're limited because they're not 21 yet. Our son had a great time on our excursions, but did find his down time to be a little boring. And he just couldn't really find others in his age to connect with.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

Our 18 (almost 19) year old also found it a bit boring because he fell in that same category when we sailed 2 years ago. They're too old for the teen clubs, but they're limited because they're not 21 yet. Our son had a great time on our excursions, but did find his down time to be a little boring. And he just couldn't really find others in his age to connect with.

Yes, tough age especially if alone.

When our two boys hit mid to late teens, they each brought a friend who was willing to pay their share. The boys in an interior cabin across the hall from my wife and I in a balcony. It makes it more enjoyable for all.

Edited by coondog99
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, coondog99 said:

Yes, tough age especially if alone.

When our two boys hit mid to late teens, they each brought a friend who was willing to pay their share. The boys in an interior cabin across the hall from my wife and I in a balcony. It makes it more enjoyable for all.

Yeah, that's always a good idea. We just couldn't do that, none of his friends would have been able to go. We did go with another couple who we've sailed with before. At least it gave him other people to talk to other than us! LOL!

22 hours ago, lecach said:

As a Non drinking (by choice), single 41 year old.…I feel your son’s problems.

I’m not going to sit at a bar on the ship, and there’s certainly no 30-40 year old single women on the ship (who aren’t therr just to get absolutely trashed drunk) so we share the same dilemma of what to do.

Edited by KarmaCruisers
  • Like 1