Footwear for ships excursions

Posted (edited)

The ships tours  recommend “hiking shoes”. I’m hoping to get by with asics trainers  ( running/walking kind),  as they have stood up to some rough lava paths in Hawaii for a moderate amount of miles.

Obviously I’ll be dressed for rain and cold even though I’ll be cruising around Iceland in August. Anyway, for those of you that have taken excursions while cruising around Iceland, I just wanted your thoughts on saving luggage space by leaving the hiking boots at home.

Thank you

Edited by Nearpost345
extra notes

Well...missing some key info. What sort of excursions are you taking?

I wore New Balance Cross Trainers all over Iceland (4 ports), no problem. I have worn the same in Hawaii many trips.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Well...missing some key info. What sort of excursions are you taking?

I wore New Balance Cross Trainers all over Iceland (4 ports), no problem. I have worn the same in Hawaii many trips.

Thanks Cruiserbruce.

We’re doing a hike to Hengifoss waterfall out of seydisfjordur, and a hike to Dynjandi waterfall. What you said about your footwear makes me feel confident about wearing my asics. Thanks again

that kind of footwear should be fine for those excursions, if it isn't raining.

If it is raining, and it rains about half the days in Iceland, you might be uncomfortable and wish you had low top hiking boots

• Thanks 1

Glad I wore my Merrill Moab low cut hiking shoes in Norway and Iceland. Hiking on steep and rocky terrain near waterfalls and geysers in rainy weather can be slick and muddy. Check out You Tube videos of sites you plan to hike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Agree, it's as much about water resistance as it is tread.  High likelihood of at least some rain during your excursion.  Soggy shoes the rest of the trip would be no fun.

Has anyone tried the water proof sprays for shoes?  I love my Rebok Zag's  Great trail and walking shoel but they are not water proof.   I bought some nice Timberland boots years ago for Alaska and only wore them once on that trip and now 10 years later I am not sure if they even still fit....

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2024 at 8:06 PM, Mr. Click said:

Has anyone tried the water proof sprays for shoes?  I love my Rebok Zag's  Great trail and walking shoel but they are not water proof.   I bought some nice Timberland boots years ago for Alaska and only wore them once on that trip and now 10 years later I am not sure if they even still fit....

I have not tried the waterproof spray but thanks for the reminder. I will try it.

I'm trying to avoid exactly the scenario above.. buying something for one particular trip and then never wearing them again.

Instead of investing in new waterproof shoes 1. that will get wet if water gets in the top anyway and that 2. I hear take forever to dry and 3. I don't know if they will be comfortable, I am going to try bringing two pairs of sneakers (one slip on style that packs small for gym) and waterproof socks (amazon). I have put the socks on and put my feet under the tub spout and they really do work. Then, I can dry out the one pair of sneakers with a hairdryer or switch to the other pair if needed and my feet will stay warm and dry with any pair of shoes. We will see if I made the wrong choice lol.

I will fully admit the first time we went to Iceland, it was a 72 hour stop over on the way to a Baltic cruise. I also did not want to bring heavy shoes for one day of a 2 week trip.  We did a full day south coast tour, and I wore my Keen sandals and wool socks.  We weren't planning on doing any real hiking (grandparents were with us) but we did go up and around all the waterfalls. It also rained intermittently all day.  My feet got soaked, but the wool socks kept them decently warm, and it all dried fine before we left for the ship.

Not what I did for any subsequent trip, but it did work.

Thanks for all the feed back everyone. I’m actually in Edinburgh currently, and just climbed Arthur’s seat. There were a lot of flat rocks one the hike and they became damp. My gym shoes were very slippery, scarily so, while my partner in trail shoes seemed to have a better grip. Hopefully there’ll be no flat slippery rocks in my Iceland hikes. I will keep you updated, hopefully not from the hospital 🤪

We were in Iceland and hiking after it rained. We saw three people fall within a few minutes of each other due to slippery rocks and regular sneakers. One seemed to seriously injure her ankle. We felt a little more secure with hiking boots. 

Just returned from Iceland 2 weeks ago. We did wear hiking boots (waterproof). It was lightly raining almost every day. The ground (during excursions) if hiking or heading toward a waterfall is often very uneven and can be slick. Some people did have regular sneakers but at one waterfall, it took two people to get the 3rd person down the wet rocks safely.