? About ppl reserving deck chairs and Obsv Lounge seats

47 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Except of course that if you aren't continously monitoring then you can't say with 100% certainty that someone didn't stop by the chair while you weren't looking.

This isn't a murder case requiring beyond a reasonable doubt.

The preponderance of the evidence will do.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2024 at 9:29 AM, graphicguy said:

15 minutes is the limit....regardless of reason....per NCL policy.

If there's a towel or personal belongings on a chair couch in the pool area, Waterfront area, Observation/Horizon Lounge, let a crew member know and they'll remove it.

What someone says upon their return, if they return, is really an issue between them and the crew at that point.

The Daily on the cruise I got off Monday had a 60 minute limit. Items removed would be turned into guest services.

On 6/26/2024 at 12:21 PM, detroitlions said:

Chair hogs and lines are the main reason I get Vibe pass when available.

I had a dude on the Belize private island put a shirt on a table between 2 chairs he thought that meant he owned the two chairs and the table LOL( we were sitting there for 25 mins).

After a exchange of words and a floating shirt in the pool I told him to keep the chairs in a not so pleasant way. 

He definitely avoided me on the ship when I saw him a few times.

Even in Vibe, I've seen people "reserve" seats at the bar with those stretchy towel holder things.

12 hours ago, caterpa said:

Yes that's exactly what she should do.   That and bring a tote bag to haul all her stuff to the bathroom with her.  Or you stay up there with her and hold her chair. 

Heres the thing.   It works like this in a normal system …..Go to the bathroom prior to getting a chair.  A normal persons bladder fills about 100-150 mls an hour. Most people therefor can go about 3 hours at least between bathroom breaks.  That's more than enough time to occupy a chair.  If she wants to use the bathroom and resume sitting she can get in the back of the defacto chair queue. 

Sorry to be difficult but this idea that exists exactly no where else without paying for the privilege,  that because a person gets to the deck early that they get an all day poolside chair is hogwash. 

PAY for a reserved chair in Vibe or get a cabana.    I shouldn't have to pay to keep your wife from being in a chair from 10 am to 4 pm.  Privilege comes with cost.  It should not come from a sense of entitlement.   

If I'm making good use of my drink package, I am going to the bathroom WAY more than once every 3 hours. But I have also had no problem, as a solo traveler, asking the person in the chair next to me to watch my seat while I run to the loo. Now I do not take advantage of that at all. Quickly using the bathroom is one of the most useful skills I gained in the military. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Let us remember that "chair hog" is nothing more than a derogatory term used to villianize someone for doing what you want to do...except they got there before you did.

Think of a small ship with only 11 guests. There are 10 chairs on the deck. As long as the number of occupied or reserved chairs is 9 or less, "chair hogs" don't exist. However, once chair #10 is occupied, guest #11 calls EVERYONE else a "chair hog"...simply because they have what he wants.

In the Vibe, there are no assigned/reserved chairs. Unless you've paid for a cabana, all seating is "first come, first served" yet there are NEVER "chair hogs" in the Vibe.

Your definition and my definition differ completely. If all ten people are using their chairs (or stepped away briefly for a refill/bathroom), I wouldn’t call any of them “chair hogs.” I’d just think “well I got here late.”

15 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Solo guests would have a big problem in that scenario.

As a solo cruiser I absolutely do! 

Here's another scenario - as a solo guest I leave the chair to hop in the pool.  As a conscientious custodian of expensive electronics, neither my watch or my phone goes in with me, meaning I can't keep time while I'm in the pool and the clocks on deck aren't the easiest to see from the pool.  How would I be sure to go back to the chair/lounger in time?  I'm still on the pool deck (just in the pool), I would not like to have to walk around the deck looking for a chair when I get out of the pool (and where would I put my stuff while I'm in the pool??), I haven't abandoned it like some do, I'm just not in the chair at that moment. 

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Seems like the chair hogs are the ones in favor of the current policies.

Current "policy" is removal of items after a certain time. I doubt the chair hogs agree with this policy. Although I'm sure they're happy that it's rarely/barely enforced.

As you are in the "leave it and lose it immediately" category, please explain how going to the restroom, getting a drink, or taking a quick dip in the pool can possibly mean that you lose your chair?

In what surreal world does this possibly make sense?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Current "policy" is removal of items after a certain time. I doubt the chair hogs agree with this policy. Although I'm sure they're happy that it's rarely/barely enforced.

I would love to see NCL enforce the current policy. Since I don't violate the policy, nothing for me would change other than being entertained when I see the chair hogs return. 😉

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

As you are in the "leave it and lose it immediately" category, please explain how going to the restroom, getting a drink, or taking a quick dip in the pool can possibly mean that you lose your chair?

In what surreal world does this possibly make sense?

It makes sense to all those who are waiting for a lounger they can have because of the absent chair hogs.

BTW, if a policy isn't enforced, then it isn't a policy is it?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Chair hogs are the ones who violate the current policy, not the ones who abide by it.

Therefore, NCL needs a new policy since they aren't enforcing the current policy.

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

It makes sense to all those who are waiting for a lounger they can have because of the absent chair hogs.

Just to be clear, are you talking only about chair hogs who don't show up, or leave, for hours? Or are you talking about those who are gone for 5-minutes to get a drink? I think you can agree they are not the same.

I've seen the "policy" enforced, but as with many NCL policies, very rarely/barely.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yes, it is a policy. The ones who DO NOT violate the policy are not the reason why you do not have a lounger.

If 50 people are sitting in 50 chairs and none are available, do you feel that those 50 are doing something wrong? Probably not since they are allowed to use those chairs. If each of those 50 went one at a time to the bar for 5 minutes each, none would be doing anything wrong, either. If 5 went to the buffet for 10 minutes, 5 went to the bar for 10 minutes, 5 went to the hot tub for 10 minutes, 5 went to the pool for 10 minutes, and 5 went to the restroom for 10 minutes all at the same time,  you would see a lot of empty chairs but none of those people would be violating NCL policy at all.

30 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Therefore, NCL needs a new policy since they aren't enforcing the current policy.

You can compel NCL to enforce the current policy or compel NCL to change the policy to something that you prefer. One option has a better chance of success than the other but in the meantime, there's no reason to hold any animosity towards the people who abide by the current policy.

Some people get angry at the sight of a man wearing shorts in Cagney's. Since NCL allows shorts, there's no reason to be angry at the man in shorts. 

Some people get angry at the sight of a man wearing a hat in Cagney's. In that case, a person can be angry at the dress code violator and/or be angry at NCL for not enforcing the dress code.

11 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Just to be clear, are you talking only about chair hogs who don't show up, or leave, for hours? Or are you talking about those who are gone for 5-minutes to get a drink? I think you can agree they are not the same.

They clearly are NOT the same since one is violating the policy and the other is not. Perhaps more should be done to clearly differentiate the groups to avoid confusion when this topic is discussed.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Some people get angry at the sight of a man wearing a hat in Cagney's. In that case, a person can be angry at the dress code violator and/or be angry at NCL for not enforcing the dress code.

And some go on a cruise to have fun and not get "angry" at anybody.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

They clearly are NOT the same since one is violating the policy and the other is not. Perhaps more should be done to clearly differentiate the groups to avoid confusion when this topic is discussed.

I agree, because people like caterpa think my wife should take all her stuff to the bathroom with her and lose her chair. Ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, EngrJones said:

And some go on a cruise to have fun and not get "angry" at anybody.

True, just as some people do not get angry at those who use a lounger within NCL policy. Unfortunately, some people vent their anger at everyone including at those who do not deserve it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

True, just as some people do not get angry at those who use a lounger within NCL policy. Unfortunately, some people vent their anger at everyone including at those who do not deserve it.

This poster gets it.

If I’m in a restaurant sitting at a table, and I have to use the restroom, should I leave and then get another table when I come back in a couple minutes? I’m not at the table, right? I’ve revoked my right to a table according to some of the “logic” on here.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

If I’m in a restaurant sitting at a table, and I have to use the restroom, should I leave and then get another table when I come back in a couple minutes? I’m not at the table, right? I’ve revoked my right to a table according to some of the “logic” on here.

Don't forget to take your food & drinks with you so that someone else can use the table. 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Yet another solo cruiser's dilemma...

• Thanks 1

Reached a new and different height of hogging during our latest cruise (June 2024 Star Tromsø to Reykjavik via Svalbard) … breakfast time table hogging!! 

There was a large group of one nationality sans proper manners on the cruise. We searched for a vacant table on the last morning but many were adorned with 4 napkin cutlery rolls. Those table became occupied much later (like not within 15 mins). 

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

There was a large group of one nationality sans proper manners on the cruise. We searched for a vacant table on the last morning but many were adorned with 4 napkin cutlery rolls. Those table became occupied much later (like not within 15 mins). 

What prevented you from sitting at one of the tables?

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Reached a new and different height of hogging during our latest cruise (June 2024 Star Tromsø to Reykjavik via Svalbard) … breakfast time table hogging!! 

This post makes no sense to me.  What are you taking about?