SHAME ON YOU ROYAL

Beachin2

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have the Executive policy

The Executive policy does cover Common Carrier delay under Trip Delay up to the policy limits defined in the Confirmation of Benefits, as I expected. The problem is that it is capped at $500. The other problem is that the delay was not caused by a Common Carrier on the way or retuning from a trip. The trip itself was interrupted.

Trip Interruption does not mention mechanical breakdown as a covered reason.

Also, check out #16 under Limitations and Exclusions. No benefits will be paid for curtailment or delayed return for other than covered reasons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Babr said:

The Executive policy does cover Common Carrier delay under Trip Delay up to the policy limits defined in the Confirmation of Benefits, as I expected. The problem is that it is capped at $500. The other problem is that the delay was not caused by a Common Carrier on the way or retuning from a trip. The trip itself was interrupted.

Trip Interruption does not mention mechanical breakdown as a covered reason.

Also, check out #16 under Limitations and Exclusions. No benefits will be paid for curtailment or delayed return for other than covered reasons.

I had the unfortunate experience of missing the ship a couple of years ago due to an airline mechanical issue, we were never able to get out of Dallas Fort Worth in time.

I was made 100% whole by my travel insurance

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not all travel insurance is created equal, that’s for sure. 

Excellent point. I don’t understand people like the OP who complain about a bad situation that could have been a lot less stressful if they had done the smart thing and purchased travel insurance that would cover basically any possible issue. But since they didn’t do that, now they want to blame RCI for their poor planning. Anyone who has cruised for awhile and/or who follows the news should know unforeseen problems occur in the cruise industry, many due to weather or mechanical issues. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I had the unfortunate experience of missing the ship a couple of years ago due to an airline mechanical issue, we were never able to get out of Dallas Fort Worth in time.

I was made 100% whole by my travel insurance

That is right because you were delayed en route. It was not the same situation described by the OP.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Excellent point. I don’t understand people like the OP who complain about a bad situation that could have been a lot less stressful if they had done the smart thing and purchased travel insurance that would cover basically any possible issue. But since they didn’t do that, now they want to blame RCI for their poor planning. Anyone who has cruised for awhile and/or who follows the news should know unforeseen problems occur in the cruise industry, many due to weather or mechanical issues. 

Yup, should have checked all the policies for pixie dust coverage too?  Get real.  Allianz is probably the most recommended annual travel policy out there, and it didn't cover anything for anyone.  I also think it's very telling that the trip policy that RC themselves sells did not provide coverage - although I've always thought that their coverage was both expensive and lacking.

3 hours ago, PIC33 said:

We were on the cancelled 26 April Radiance sailing, as well as the previous 4-night from LA, and the following 7-night Vancouver to Seward (all part of a B5B Tampa to Vancouver). Therefore, our expense situation was a bit different. We were effectively stranded in Vancouver for the five days after being put off the broken-down Radiance until we could reboard for the next leg. Flying home to Orlando last minute was not an option for us, as we’d be forfeiting the next cruise (and the return cruise to Vancouver thereafter). Flying back to Vancouver from Orlando a coupled days later also did not make economic sense. So, we spent the five nights in a hotel in Vancouver waiting for the next cruise to start.

I politely explained this situation to the folks at RCCL when I filed the compensation claim. I specifically requested the $250 per night hotel reimbursement be extended to all five nights versus just the two offered. I thought this was reasonable since I was not claiming any additional expenses for airfare or transportation. Unfortunately, that request for the additional nights was denied, with the RCCL saying I should file a claim with the AON travel insurance I purchased through the cruise line, which I did.

I explained the situation to AON in my insurance claim and cited my policy numbers for both the 26 April and 3 May cruises in my request for the trip delay to be covered. The claim was denied by AON, citing that the cruise was cancelled due to a technical issue with the ship. 

I also have not yet seen the promised Crown and Anchor points for the canceled cruise appear in my account.

This experience has caused me to rethink how I string together back-to-back cruises to create longer itineraries. I am now looking at other cruise lines such as Holland America and Viking, that offer longer itineraries. Then at least if the ship breaks mid-cruise, I can just go home rather than being stuck in limbo waiting to see if the next leg sails.

Unless they said everyone was to get the Points they are Hit or Miss, and usually dont get them in these situations

19 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

We actually boarded and spent 2 nights on the ship before they booted us off.

My guess is that the insurance companies did not see this as Trip Interruption because the cruise line cancelled the trip and thus became responsible for refunding the cruise fare. From the letter posted earlier, the cruise line also provided funds for hotels and local transportation. They even paid for change fees. 

There was no loss to claim. No policy will pay for travel arrangements that were already used. Insurance reimburses only unused prepaid nonrefundable arrangements.