Poll: Evaluating Changes in the Overall Value of Celebrity Cruises

a350flyer

Evaluating Changes in the Overall Value of Celebrity Cruises  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the overall value of Celebrity Cruises has changed in recent years?

• Increased
    • Stayed the same
    • Decreased
    • No opinion / Not sure

11 hours ago, Water_Baby_ said:

How about anything that involves human services? Our experience on X has IMPROVED when compared to hotel and restaurant service. 

10 hours ago, chefchick said:

If reading ANY board here on Cruise Critic is to be believed NO line has improved services or become a better value in the last few years.  So changed? Yes, but they all have.

Yep - it all seems to be about RELATIVE value, vs historical or even perceived/remembered value.

COVID was a huge disruption. Add in inflation and even the changing options from Russia's assault on Ukraine (& other wars), environmental adaptations, and popular destinations limiting or planning limitations - lots of disruptions. And then the surge to 100+% occupancies and that much of the cruising demographic for X is sitting on piles of cash.

So, the "value" metric seems really out of whack vs pre-COVID for just about everything.  We, personally, are cruising more than ever. We're also traveling more than ever. Consuming "experiences" more than ever, and so on.  The value we place on living our lives to the fullest possible at this time is very high, so X is able to ride that even with higher prices.

So, very hard to pick an answer to this poll and gotta go "not sure".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Yep - it all seems to be about RELATIVE value, vs historical or even perceived/remembered value.

COVID was a huge disruption. Add in inflation and even the changing options from Russia's assault on Ukraine (& other wars), environmental adaptations, and popular destinations limiting or planning limitations - lots of disruptions. And then the surge to 100+% occupancies and that much of the cruising demographic for X is sitting on piles of cash.

So, the "value" metric seems really out of whack vs pre-COVID for just about everything.  We, personally, are cruising more than ever. We're also traveling more than ever. Consuming "experiences" more than ever, and so on.  The value we place on living our lives to the fullest possible at this time is very high, so X is able to ride that even with higher prices.

You have a great outlook!

• Thanks 1

When we sailed Celebrity for the 1st time 10 years ago, we felt it was a small step above Princess & RCCL. 

Now, I only feel that way about Eclass--M & S class are more alike most other mainstream lines. 

I have to dig a bit more for a good deal--we would still rather sail Celebrity over all other lines, but sometimes they price themselves out. 

But we recently booked Ascent for Dec w/ balc, drinks, wifi, tips & $600OBC for $3K.

We also booked Beyond for Dec. 2025 with balc, drinks & wifi for $3K.

NCL Prima was similarly priced in Feb. 2025--tho just an oceanview, and not wifi is minutes, not unlimited.

(All Caribbean).

in 2018 I booked the Equinox for $2500 balc w/ all the perks & thought it was a great value.

So I figure $3K 6 years later is still a pretty good deal.

55 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

All this! 

We too are traveling more than ever (thx retirement!)

I often wonder--are our perceptions that things were better actually the REALITY?

No way really to tell & I'm sure that could be argued to death here.

But we agree--by & large cruise lines are more similar than different. (again, IMO)

And by & large, things have not changed dramatically since COVID. 

It's still our fav way to travel!

I miss the onboard credit and included gratuities that we used to receive. For 3 of us in a Sky Suite, it was like $700-$1200 in onboard spend, depending on length. Prices are the same, just no more credit. We still enjoy sailing Celebrity and for now we will continue to do so. However, we will respond by booking zero excursions through the ship and limiting our speciality dining. 

21 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

I also chose “not sure” for essentially the same reason.

How are we defining value? Since the COVID shutdown of the entire world economy, things have changed. There are a lot of things that have gotten more expensive that I value much more after having been confined to quarters for over a year (e.g., travel to visit my mother). 

While I know the number and quality of benefits on Celebrity has gone down while the price went up, I am having a difficult time deciding whether that decreases the “value” of a trip or whether it just degrades the economic considerations. 

18 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

With 70%+ saying the value has decreased, why are pricing and booking so strong?? Just complaining about it does nothing,  quit sending them your hard earn money will. A little sacrifice for hopefully a long term gain.

Agree.  There are many long time Celebrity cruisers who continue to book despite their unhappiness.  Many posts cite having booked several future cruises.  This is not sending a message.   One cruiser told me that they are not happy but continue to cruise as they get a "free" bag of laundry.  Believe me, he has paid for that bag in some way.

18 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

With 70%+ saying the value has decreased, why are pricing and booking so strong?? Just complaining about it does nothing,  quit sending them your hard earn money will. A little sacrifice for hopefully a long term gain.

This is the classic challenge that poll & opinion analysts always run up against.  Folks feel one way, but act another. Or feel one way about themselves but another about a broader issue.

"How are you doing financially?" "Great! Never better."

"How is the economy as a whole?" "Awful! On the verge of collapse." 

The reverse "grass is always greener".

🙂

Edited by Tom and Ingrid

I think much of this depends on how you travel.  For example, i can’t swing retreat prices unless I made some major travel sacrifices (like one trip every several years based on the retreat prices for my Alaskan sailing) and if I compare standard prices along many lines they are all somewhat comparable.  I’d love to try some higher end options, but those are out of my price range.  That being said, we are on Flora for a Galapagos sailing but I see that as a once in a lifetime, while we are active/mobile, trip.  There are very few others I would put in that category and be willing to spend that kind of $.  So, I think value is very subjective, based on budget (or lack thereof for many people) experiences (comparing the before/after) and so many other factors.  

With the addition of the E-Class ships, I see that as an increase in value for the $.

I also take advantage of the major 2nd and 3rd person discounts and that helps. So does the single SR when our daughter joins us and not in our SR.

But to be frank, I dont do a lot of price comparisons with other Lines. The only time we go another Line is to join friends or a special itinerary, and of course for the River cruises we enjoy. Stick with Celebrity because I still see it as a good value for the money, and ‘saving’ a few bucks with some other Line isnt worth it…..to us.

Again, another biased opinion of someone who really doesnt ‘shop around’, and doesnt spend a lot of time comparing what I spent prior. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

Not based on having actually done this (not sure if it even can be done), but I would speculate that if you could wind back to the Cruise Critic boards before COVID, say mid-2019, they would be filled with threads about how cruising just isn't the same and citing some real, or perceived degradation in value (food quality, more crowded ships, increasing prices, reductions in some service, removal of loungers 😉).

Since then, we have had a pandemic which changed the world as we knew it.  Somehow, all of the major cruise lines managed to survive (Crystal, although beloved, was not a major line), by taking on debt, issuing equity, or both.  Coming out of COVID, demand for travel has exploded, inflation has increased far beyond what we have experienced for many years and the cruise lines have to deal with those increased costs on cruises where the revenue was locked-in up to 2 years prior.  Replacing high quality staff has become a global challenge, not just for the cruise industry but for many many others as well.

Personally, I think the cruise lines are collectively doing a fine job under the circumstances.  Are prices higher when I look to book a cruise.  Absolutely.  Has there been some decrease in service and food quality?  Yes, but it is still generally very high.  Do I still get as much OBC when I book?  Nope, but that is just a (necessary) price increase.  More OBC requires higher cruise fares.  It's as simple as that.

The biggest mistake I think Celebrity is making is the nickel/dime stuff.  Increasing already high margin prices for "grocery store wines" so that they exceed the Premium drink package limit detracts enormously from the onboard experience and is why we, like several others on these boards, are looking to other "real" premium lines.  Paying $X for a so-called "premium experience" in the Retreat and then being given slips to sign for $1 or $2 plus gratuity for a glass of wine that retails for $15 or less per bottle is glaringly "non-premium."  

As others have already noted, our fallible memories often perceive things were much better in "the good old days", but for us, cruising still represents a good value vacation.  It just may not be with Celebrity, which is a shame because it is mostly because of what is really a minor (but more major to us and some others) irritant.   

One last point.  I do get it that this is Cruise "Critic."  People are certainly entitled to post their opinions, reviews, etc. and I am not criticizing that.    I just think that if you had the same poll 5 years ago, or 5 years from now, the overall response would be roughly the same, that the "value" is no longer what it used to be "back then".

APAD 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since Jan, 2023 there have been continuing cutbacks, upcharges and increasing prices. The menu has suffered in both quality and offerings, the “All Inclusive” package has removed gratuities, the cruise price is significantly higher than similar cruise lines,and you have to pay a higher price for a refundable deposit, the welcome aboard champagne has been eliminated, no more surf and turf, pay for a second lobster tail, the wi- Fi  has 2 levels, the Caribbean itineraries have fewer and fewer 10-12 day itineraries, increased number of 3-6 day itineraries.

In recent years I have mainly cruised Celebrity but now I find that Princess offers much better value/$ spent: offers a truly inclusive package, refundable deposits- now $99.00/pp, beautiful Piazzas, comparable food-even still serving true “surf and turf”, streaming Wi-Fi for a single package, a better loyalty program that allows all cruisers to reach higher levels based on cruises(regardless of length) sailed or # of cruise days, not based on class of cabin booked and at the moment 2/1 cruise credits. I have been on 60 cruise’s on 6 different cruise lines. I have enjoyed them all but still make informed decisions by doing research and actually sailing with different cruise lines!  Happy sailing everyone!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, luv4cruises said:

Since Jan, 2023 there have been continuing cutbacks, upcharges and increasing prices. The menu has suffered in both quality and offerings, the “All Inclusive” package has removed gratuities, the cruise price is significantly higher than similar cruise lines,and you have to pay a higher price for a refundable deposit, the welcome aboard champagne has been eliminated, no more surf and turf, pay for a second lobster tail, the wi- Fi  has 2 levels, the Caribbean itineraries have fewer and fewer 10-12 day itineraries, increased number of 3-6 day itineraries.

In recent years I have mainly cruised Celebrity but now I find that Princess offers much better value/$ spent: offers a truly inclusive package, refundable deposits- now $99.00/pp, beautiful Piazzas, comparable food-even still serving true “surf and turf”, streaming Wi-Fi for a single package, a better loyalty program that allows all cruisers to reach higher levels based on cruises(regardless of length) sailed or # of cruise days, not based on class of cabin booked and at the moment 2/1 cruise credits. I have been on 60 cruise’s on 6 different cruise lines. I have enjoyed them all but still make informed decisions by doing research and actually sailing with different cruise lines!  Happy sailing everyone!

For all of the things you mentioned here, are exactly why I have decided to give Virgin Voyages a try.  Almost every review I read raves about the food, ALL restaurants included, entertainment (different as it may be) the service, lack of nickel and diming etc.  I booked a 15 night TA in an XL Sea Terrace for what I feel is an amazing price!  I shall see but I am anxious and very excited to give them a try.

Edited by Liao
Spell check

6 hours ago, Liao said:

For all of the things you mentioned here, are exactly why I have decided to give Virgin Voyages a try.  Almost every review I read raves about the food, ALL restaurants included, entertainment (different as it may be) the service, lack of nickel and diming etc.  I booked a 15 night TA in an XL Sea Terrace for what I feel is an amazing price!  I shall see but I am anxious and very excited to give them a try.

I did the TA on the Valiant Lady last November for my 60th birthday solo and it was one of my favorite cruises in thirty plus years of cruising!  Enjoy yourself! 🥂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I did the TA on the Valiant Lady last November for my 60th birthday solo and it was one of my favorite cruises in thirty plus years of cruising!  Enjoy yourself! 🥂

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much!  All I hear are very positive comments.  I’m really looking forward to it.