Bringing disposable camera/polaroid film through x-ray scanner on ship??

cantswim27

Hi everyone☺️
I briefly searched the internet looking for an answer to this question but I couldn't find anything definite from the last few years or so. I apologize if someone's asked this already!
I'm going on the Norwegian Joy to Bermuda next month. I'm thinking about bringing a disposable camera or a fujifilm instax polaroid camera on our trip to get some cool pictures. However, I'm really worried about the film getting ruined from my bag going through the x-ray machines every time we board and leave the ship. I've heard asking them to hand check film is not guaranteed and the only other recent post I saw suggested purchasing an x-ray safe film bag but I don't want to buy one if I don't have to. 

Has anyone brought film on a ship recently? Will it get ruined??

TYIA!

Been a while since someone asked a “film” question. Thanks for the rather new topic 🤣

Anyway, if I remember correctly, as long as the film is 100, 200, or 400 speed film, it should be okay. 800 speed film could get a little fogged.

If concerned, back in the day, we would just pass the film off to the person scanning so it wouldn’t get x-rayed. That was years ago though and not sure the people there would understand what you’re trying to do.

• Like 3

it sounds like you will want them to do a hand inspection the bag will show as black on a scan and then they will want to look at it anyways.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fujifilm+INSTAX+Mini+7+x-ray+machines&oq=Fujifilm+INSTAX+Mini+7+x-ray+machines&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRigATIHCAQQIRirAjIHCAUQIRirAtIBCDc1OThqMGo0qAIAsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

No, your film camera will not be damaged by airport x-ray machines. Your undeveloped film may be damaged, though. If the airport has the CT scanners for carry on bags, these WILL destroy your film. Always insist on a manual by hand inspection for carry on film, even if it is ISO 400 or slower.Aug 26, 2022

I know I ran into a lady on my last Alaska cruise last year who brought 3 or 4 of those "Polaroid" type instant cameras on board.  She had no issue with those passing through scanners.

And yes, film cameras are still around, and you can still buy the film.

Personally, I never had an issue when I used them and passed them through airport scanners, but that was 20 years ago.