Florence

renebfl

There will be organised excursions from Livorno to Florence. There won’t be “a shuttle” as the distance is around 60 miles! There will be a “shuttle” into Livorno from where you can either catch a regular train service to Florence. You can also catch a regular bus service from the station. It’s around 1h:15m each way. The other option is a taxi which will likely cost upwards of 150 euro.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, renebfl said:

Is there a Royal Carribean shuttle that just takes you from the port to Florence?  I don’t want to go to Pisa, just Florence 

They did a Florence on your Own excursion last year. Transferred you to train station and you had a few free hours in Florence. I wouldn’t do it again as far too much waiting around on the platform whilst earlier trains to Florence Came and left. We couldn’t get on those as the tickets weren’t valid. 

There was an independent bus shuttle you can find on line; or I’d get a cab to the station and buy my own tickets for the earlier train. 

Florence is lovely but oh my its getting busy, it was crazy last time we went so much so I'd give it a long time before I look an RCL trip to go there again.

Also if you are on an Oasis class ship the port that is closest is is a good 45 mins further away so a lot of time traveling there can be 2hrs each way, so if you can take another smaller ship that goes to Livorno its nearly 2hrs less travel time. 

We had a fantastic tour by Papillon, short stop in Pisa then skip the line entrance to museum with David , then stop at a vineyard for a wine tasting on way back . We did this with roll call members, unfortunately roll calls don’t seem that popular currently.

As mentioned previously, there is a “Florence on your own” tour that doesn’t go to other sites.  We did this in April.  If you book that, and do want time on your own, once you get led to the square and shown the meeting point, you can leave before you get the “sales pitch” in the first store there.  We did just that, and had a lovely lunch/walk-around on our own. You only get about 2.5 hours on your own (no matter what the description says on RCI), since they stop off on the way at a leather store for a sales pitch/restroom visit. 

We wouldn’t do it again. We would pay for a private transfer, and spend more time in Florence, a lovely city. 

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 2