Dumbing Down & Dressing Down: The New Cunard?

WantedOnVoyage

10 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

keep in mind that for some of us, a crossing on the QM2 is transportation, as opposed to just the experience.

Agree and in my opinion, decreasing the number of gala evenings is a good business decision for a wider appeal. Enjoy your crossing/Oceania cruise and happy anniversary!

Edited by RK-NC
correction
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

formal wear really doesn’t require extra suitcases, particularly given you have to wear something anyway. I realise an extra pair of shoes each makes extra weight. But the formal nights are spread out, so stuff can go to the laundry between and be worn again. 

We have 8 gala evenings on our voyage and we will most definitely have a extra piece of luggage for it all. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

We have 8 gala evenings on our voyage and we will most definitely have an extra piece of luggage for it all. 

Well, that is obviously your choice, but it isn’t inevitable. I would take two or perhaps three dresses, but then I find clothes deadly boring.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, that is obviously your choice, but it isn’t inevitable. I would take two or perhaps three dresses, but then I find clothes deadly boring.

You keep telling us that, and you have every right to feel that way. 😀

However Nora loves clothes, and shoes, and bags. So 26 outfits for lunch and dinner on QM2, one for lunch in New York, and one for pre cruise dinner in Southampton, and something to travel to and from Southampton in. 🤣

• Like 5

Cunard may have to adapt if they want to compete.

Or to turn that around - passengers may have to adapt if they wish to cruise with Cunard.

Cunard do not appear to be having any problems with passenger bookings so they are obviously doing something right.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, D&N said:

You keep telling us that, and you have every right to feel that way. 😀

However Nora loves clothes, and shoes, and bags. So 26 outfits for lunch and dinner on QM2, one for lunch in New York, and one for pre cruise dinner in Southampton, and something to travel to and from Southampton in. 🤣

Please believe that I always dress according to the code and I often enjoy seeing what others are wearing. I don’t find the dress code particularly onerous, after all one has to wear something, so it may as well be the right thing. However, I still sometimes wear the black dress I bought for formal nights on our first crossing in 1997. I would rather spend what money I have left after my huge annual donation to Cunard on other things, like books. 😀

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 2

I think  someone  struck  the nail on the head earlier. 

By definition  GALA evenings are supposed to be SPECIAL. That takes both passengers and Cunard. The days of Cunard trying harder, extra special menus an extra course have gone.  Clearly  Cunard want all the kudos of a formal  night with the ability to use their George Clooney lookalike in aspirational adverts , without putting the money in. 

Gala nights are really nights with a formal dress code nothing more , where's the GALA 

Those who love dressing up will do it and want more formal come what may.

But if Cunard wants to save GALA nights they must put some effort in.

NB there is nothing wrong with formal night menus,  they are just not noticeably better than other nights

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think  someone  struck  the nail on the head earlier. 

By definition  GALA evenings are supposed to be SPECIAL. That takes both passengers and Cunard. The days of Cunard trying harder, extra special menus an extra course have gone.  Clearly  Cunard want all the kudos of a formal  night with the ability to use their George Clooney lookalike in aspirational adverts , without putting the money in. 

Gala nights are really nights with a formal dress code nothing more , where's the GALA 

Those who love dressing up will do it and want more formal come what may.

But if Cunard wants to save GALA nights they must put some effort in.

NB there is nothing wrong with formal night menus,  they are just not noticeably better than other nights

Perhaps they should simply go back to calling them formal nights, which raises no expectations except in terms of dress.

• Like 3

I’ve read this thread with interest and almost quoted several posts, but it became apparent that my post would be a mile long if I did it, so I’ll just put my thoughts here.  No apparent order of thoughts or priorities.  😃

First, a bit of background.  DH and I will be taking our first Cunard trip on July 27.  NYC to Frankfurt.  It is our 30th anniversary.  From this crossing we will be hopping on an 18 night Oceania cruise from Oslo to Southampton and will fly home from Heathrow.  We’ll be away for a month.  We are experienced travelers and cruisers, but all mainstream lines.  We’ve done “traditional” ships with fixed dining and formal nights, but in recent years we have gravitated more toward less formal ships and flexible dining.  This will be our first experience on Cunard and a “luxury” line like Oceania.  In recent years we’ve mostly sailed on NCL (three times in the Haven and many trips in steerage) as well as many trips on Virgin, which we love.  We are not formal people.  While we love the luxury of the Haven, we also love that we don’t have to get dressed up. We also absolutely love the casual vibe and fantastic food on Virgin.   I don’t think we’re alone.  Cunard may have to adapt if they want to compete.

We had originally booked the Oceania trip.  DH does not like to fly.  When we found we could do the QM2 for less money than two business class plane tickets, and we have the time (we’re both retired), this was a no brainer.  

So much for the background.  While sailing the QM2 has always been a “bucket list” thing, we are concerned about the dress code.  And I do take a little offense to the term “dumbing down”.  I assure you that neither of us are “dumb”.  😂. We will dress for dinner, but it will not be “to the nines”.  DH no longer owns a tux and has no intention of buying one.  He does have a couple of nice jackets, slacks and ties, which have been dry cleaned and pressed for the occasion.  I have two simple long dresses, which I assume will work for the Gala nights.  But we really are not “into” the whole concept of dressing up.  Been there, done that.  It’s just not our thing.   And considering that this will be the first leg of an extended vacation where the rest of the trip is casual, we are concerned about luggage capacity.

I'm not really sure where I’m going with this, except to say that while we can appreciate tradition and the “specialness” of dressing up, keep in mind that for some of us, a crossing on the QM2 is transportation, as opposed to just the experience.  We are looking forward to the crossing.  We will do our best to comply with the dress code.  But we won’t be spending a fortune upgrading our wardrobe for outfits we will likely never wear again and don’t want to have to pack two additional suitcases to hold the formal wear.  

I think the title means the standard is being lowered, not a reference to the passengers.  Your long dress/jacket choices will be fine.  My first Cunard cruise wardrobe was what I could pull together, and we had a wonderful time.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

Agree and in my opinion, decreasing the number of gala evenings is a good business decision for a wider appeal. Enjoy your crossing/Oceania cruise and happy anniversary!

Making yourself more like everyone else isn't always a good business strategy.  Cunard may have correctly identified a profitable niche here. The appeal only has to be wide enough to fill their ships.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

I’ve read this thread with interest and almost quoted several posts, but it became apparent that my post would be a mile long if I did it, so I’ll just put my thoughts here.  No apparent order of thoughts or priorities.  😃

First, a bit of background.  DH and I will be taking our first Cunard trip on July 27.  NYC to Frankfurt.  It is our 30th anniversary.  From this crossing we will be hopping on an 18 night Oceania cruise from Oslo to Southampton and will fly home from Heathrow.  We’ll be away for a month.  We are experienced travelers and cruisers, but all mainstream lines.  We’ve done “traditional” ships with fixed dining and formal nights, but in recent years we have gravitated more toward less formal ships and flexible dining.  This will be our first experience on Cunard and a “luxury” line like Oceania.  In recent years we’ve mostly sailed on NCL (three times in the Haven and many trips in steerage) as well as many trips on Virgin, which we love.  We are not formal people.  While we love the luxury of the Haven, we also love that we don’t have to get dressed up. We also absolutely love the casual vibe and fantastic food on Virgin.   I don’t think we’re alone.  Cunard may have to adapt if they want to compete.

We had originally booked the Oceania trip.  DH does not like to fly.  When we found we could do the QM2 for less money than two business class plane tickets, and we have the time (we’re both retired), this was a no brainer.  

So much for the background.  While sailing the QM2 has always been a “bucket list” thing, we are concerned about the dress code.  And I do take a little offense to the term “dumbing down”.  I assure you that neither of us are “dumb”.  😂. We will dress for dinner, but it will not be “to the nines”.  DH no longer owns a tux and has no intention of buying one.  He does have a couple of nice jackets, slacks and ties, which have been dry cleaned and pressed for the occasion.  I have two simple long dresses, which I assume will work for the Gala nights.  But we really are not “into” the whole concept of dressing up.  Been there, done that.  It’s just not our thing.   And considering that this will be the first leg of an extended vacation where the rest of the trip is casual, we are concerned about luggage capacity.

I'm not really sure where I’m going with this, except to say that while we can appreciate tradition and the “specialness” of dressing up, keep in mind that for some of us, a crossing on the QM2 is transportation, as opposed to just the experience.  We are looking forward to the crossing.  We will do our best to comply with the dress code.  But we won’t be spending a fortune upgrading our wardrobe for outfits we will likely never wear again and don’t want to have to pack two additional suitcases to hold the formal wear.  

Always remember there are alternative dining venues, with an ambience in which one may feel more comfortable, and “Stateroom Dining”.  

Whatever dining option one selects, there could be moment, during one’s ocean transportation, where a thought to a Voyage Crossing, complete with a suitcase, or two, for Formal Attire.

Enjoy…..

• Like 1

will be taking our first Cunard trip on July 27.  NYC to Frankfurt. (do you mean Hamburg?) .......................  From this crossing we will be hopping on an 18 night Oceania cruise from Oslo to Southampton and will fly home from Heathrow.

If that was us; my wife would take ten dinner outfits for Cunard. If we had nights in Hamburg and Oslo or any other European cities, she would dress going out for dinner recycling what she wore on QM2. For Oceania she would recycle the ten outfits from QM2 and have another eight that she may have worn at lunch time on QM2. If we had a night in London before flying she'd wear something from the cruises. She might even use some separates and mix and match. I'd just need a few dinner and lounge suits, ties, and shirts and shoes that I'd need to wear anyway.

We'd just travel with normal luggage to do that.

Just a different approach. As you say you're: "not “into” the whole concept of dressing up.", so there's no reason to do something you don't want to.

For all Oceania can be casual, I'm sure it doesn't need to be. Some of their interiors look very nice. I would hope that if I ever sailed with them that I wouldn't be turned away from the dining room for wearing a tie! 😀

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Please believe that I always dress according to the code

I've never doubted it!

I still wear my 1997 black shoes, but don't wear them outdoors and keep them for dancing. They have a very thin leather sole that gives enough flexibility for dancing. I'm thinking of having my 1997 formal trousers professionally taken in as they're probably better quality than my newer stuff. And of course I still have ties dating back that far.

I think my wife's oldest item is a silver Wallis skirt suit that I have a photo of her wearing to a christening in 2000. It went on QM2 last time and will likely be going again.

We were close to throwing it out when it shrank 😀, but luckily didn't and now it fits better than ever.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, D&N said:

I've never doubted it!

I still wear my 1997 black shoes, but don't wear them outdoors and keep them for dancing. They have a very thin leather sole that gives enough flexibility for dancing. I'm thinking of having my 1997 formal trousers professionally taken in as they're probably better quality than my newer stuff. And of course I still have ties dating back that far.

I think my wife's oldest item is a silver Wallis skirt suit that I have a photo of her wearing to a christening in 2000. It went on QM2 last time and will likely be going again.

We were close to throwing it out when it shrank 😀, but luckily didn't and now it fits better than ever.

Curiously enough, the black dress I was speaking of was from Wallis.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, D&N said:

If that was us; my wife would take ten dinner outfits for Cunard. If we had nights in Hamburg and Oslo or any other European cities, she would dress going out for dinner recycling what she wore on QM2. For Oceania she would recycle the ten outfits from QM2 and have another eight that she may have worn at lunch time on QM2. If we had a night in London before flying she'd wear something from the cruises. She might even use some separates and mix and match. I'd just need a few dinner and lounge suits, ties, and shirts and shoes that I'd need to wear anyway.

Just a different approach. As you say you're: "not “into” the whole concept of dressing up.", so there's no reason to do something you don't want to.

For all Oceania can be casual, I'm sure it doesn't need to be. Some of their interiors look very nice. I would hope that if I ever sailed with them that I wouldn't be turned away from the dining room for wearing a tie! 😀

Oceania is most definitely not “casual”, unless one is dining in The Terrace, where even the “buffet” is not quite that.  Grilled seafood (including lobster each evening) lamb and sushi offerings are all served by attendants.  No guest touches the implements, or, heaven forbid, the food itself.  The GDR has a delightful ambience, and the specialty restaurants are a haven of fine dining, in an elegant setting reflecting the cuisine of that particular venue.  As a matter of fact, Oceania, liken Seabourn and Silversea, resemble Cunard in many respects, but not all.  Viking, in our opinion, doesn’t come close.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, D&N said:

Yes, I meant Hamburg.  😃

I try to pack as light as possible.  I’m really good at mixing and matching. Mostly a couple of decent pair of pants, a few pair of capris and a few casual dresses.  DH is the same.  A few pair of pants, dress shirts and polos.  He retired more than ten years ago.  I can think of exactly twice in those ten years that he wore a tie, and one of those occasions was our daughter’s wedding.  😂. That’s what I mean by “casual”.  Decently dressed, but certainly not dresses and heels for me or a jacket and tie for DH.  But we are packing them for this trip.

It’s our first time on Oceania as well.  From what I understand, it is basically casual all the time.  There are no formal nights.  I’m sure they wouldn’t kick someone out of a restaurant for wearing a tie, but neither will they kick you out for wearing a pair of capris and a nice shirt.  That’s definitely more our style.  But as I said, we will do our best to comply with the dress codes, but don’t be surprised to see us repeating outfits.  😃

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Yes, I meant Hamburg.  😃

I try to pack as light as possible.  I’m really good at mixing and matching. Mostly a couple of decent pair of pants, a few pair of capris and a few casual dresses.  DH is the same.  A few pair of pants, dress shirts and polos.  He retired more than ten years ago.  I can think of exactly twice in those ten years that he wore a tie, and one of those occasions was our daughter’s wedding.  😂. That’s what I mean by “casual”.  Decently dressed, but certainly not dresses and heels for me or a jacket and tie for DH.  But we are packing them for this trip.

It’s our first time on Oceania as well.  From what I understand, it is basically casual all the time.  There are no formal nights.  I’m sure they wouldn’t kick someone out of a restaurant for wearing a tie, but neither will they kick you out for wearing a pair of capris and a nice shirt.  That’s definitely more our style.  But as I said, we will do our best to comply with the dress codes, but don’t be surprised to see us repeating outfits.  😃

What is a capri? I thought it was an Italian island, beloved by the wealthy.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Yes, I meant Hamburg.  😃

The thing is what with increasing age, poor eyesight, and general wine drinking, few would be able to remember whether you were in repeating outfits or not. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Capris are ¾ length trousers that can be cut anywhere between moderately loose (if they're very loose, they're more like long culottes or an older-fashioned divided riding skirt for riding astride) or quite form-fitting.  They do indeed take their name from Tiberius' favorite island.  

Here's a classic example, modeled by Audrey Hepburn:

image.png.55c01b3aafe0db9b2b609acb2af2afbf.pngimage.png.55c01b3aafe0db9b2b609acb2af2afbf.png 

Edited by Tattycoram
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

Capris are ¾ length trousers that can be cut anywhere between moderately loose (if they're very loose, they're more like long culottes or an older-fashioned divided riding skirt for riding astride) or quite form-fitting.  They do indeed take their name from Tiberius' favorite island.  

Here's a classic example, modeled by Audrey Hepburn:

image.png.55c01b3aafe0db9b2b609acb2af2afbf.pngimage.png.55c01b3aafe0db9b2b609acb2af2afbf.png 

Doesn’t she look horrendously thin? I would have thought those were just trousers. I think I prefer the salad named after the same island.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The thing is what with increasing age, poor eyesight, and general wine drinking, few would be able to remember whether you were in repeating outfits or not. 😀

Exactly  my thoughts unless an outfit is particularly striking and I was complimented on one of mine by a fellow passenger who said she 'loved it the other night too'.

Luckily, I love it too so happy to take the compliment.🙂

• Like 4

Just now, Victoria2 said:

Exactly  my thoughts unless an outfit is particularly striking and I was complimented on one of mine by a fellow passenger who said she 'loved it the other night too'.

Luckily, I love it too so happy to take the compliment.🙂

Just to clarify, in case anyone is wondering: it wasn’t me, for all the reasons stated above. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1