Celebrity Making It Easier to Book ?

DaKahuna

18 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The fees were never hidden.  Just another crazy California deal.

Not crazy to me --- Florida is also famous for all types of hidden fees with hotels and car rental.

The legislation was mostly directed at air line fares with luggage fees, seat fees etc.   It also was directed to hotels who add on everything from Resort Fees to city and state taxes.   Car Rentals are also know tho add on more fees than the featured daily rental cost. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not crazy to me --- Florida is also famous for all types of hidden fees with hotels and car rental.

The legislation was mostly directed at air line fares with luggage fees, seat fees etc.   It also was directed to hotels who add on everything from Resort Fees to city and state taxes.   Car Rentals are also know tho add on more fees than the featured daily rental cost. 

I suspect that it became a necessity in California as many places that were not resorts were charging a resort fee and enormous parking fees.  We could be in the middle of nowhere in California and still get charged a fee for parking.  Paid more resort fees in California than other states.

My free Hilton reward nights in California always cost me more than other states even with the regulations.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 6/29/2024 at 9:14 AM, NMTraveller said:

I suspect that it became a necessity in California as many places that were not resorts were charging a resort fee and enormous parking fees.  We could be in the middle of nowhere in California and still get charged a fee for parking.  Paid more resort fees in California than other states.

My free Hilton reward nights in California always cost me more than other states even with the regulations.

The law goes into effect tomorrow -  it is not onerous but just requires to show the full cost up front. 

It was passed into law due to California raising the minimum wage to $16 and many communities like Mountain View raised to $18.75.  I'm sure that sound incredible to some, but you have to put into perspective -  the median house price in MV is $2.033 Million.   Many restaurants started to put on hidden surcharges and mandatory 20% gratuity  to cover the increase cost.     The law doesn't prohibit surcharges it simply requires it has to be shown upfront so the customer is not shocked when they get their bill.

Effective July 1, 2024, California Senate Bill 478 (SB 478) will ban hidden fees charged for goods and services. The law makes it illegal to advertise a low price for a product, only for that product to be subject to additional or mandatory fees later

Off on my walk to Mountain View for may daily dose of Starbuck (no surcharge). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The law goes into effect tomorrow -  it is not onerous but just requires to show the full cost up front. 

It was passed into law due to California raising the minimum wage to $16 and many communities like Mountain View raised to $18.75.  I'm sure that sound incredible to some, but you have to put into perspective -  the median house price in MV is $2.033 Million.   Many restaurants started to put on hidden surcharges and mandatory 20% gratuity  to cover the increase cost.     The law doesn't prohibit surcharges it simply requires it has to be shown upfront so the customer is not shocked when they get their bill.

Effective July 1, 2024, California Senate Bill 478 (SB 478) will ban hidden fees charged for goods and services. The law makes it illegal to advertise a low price for a product, only for that product to be subject to additional or mandatory fees later

Off on my walk to Mountain View for may daily dose of Starbuck (no surcharge). 

Just sitting back and watching some of the fast food places go out of business...  We used to eat at Rubios in San Diego,  but it is no more.  We had a city that did the same in New Mexico.  We quickly found out that you might as well skip the fast food places and go to a restaurant.  Twenty and twenty five dollar hamburger meals?  SMH.

Those fast food places were meant to be staffed by teenagers who were living with their parents and it was their first job.  I am not sure how we got to the point of it being a cost of living issue for non teenagers.  It seems like an economic failure of some sort.  There was a reason the salaries were low,  so that the workers would find something better.  I would not want my sons working fast food all of their lives.

I agree that costs have gotten out of hand in California.  That is likely (one reason) why there is a long line of people moving to Nevada.  All of the regulation there increase prices.

Edited by NMTraveller

11 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

love that grats are gonna be included. they never affected my choosing a cruise or not but sure is nice to see they will be included in the price

And this is why we still need the cost breakdown. Read the memo. Taxes and mandatory fees will be included. Gratuities are not mandatory or part of the pricing.

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Just sitting back and watching some of the fast food places go out of business...  We used to eat at Rubios in San Diego,  but it is no more.  We had a city that did the same in New Mexico.  We quickly found out that you might as well skip the fast food places and go to a restaurant.  Twenty and twenty five dollar hamburger meals?  SMH.

Those fast food places were meant to be staffed by teenagers who were living with their parents and it was their first job.  I am not sure how we got to the point of it being a cost of living issue for non teenagers.  It seems like an economic failure of some sort.  There was a reason the salaries were low,  so that the workers would find something better.  I would not want my sons working fast food all of their lives.

I agree that costs have gotten out of hand in California.  That is likely (one reason) why there is a long line of people moving to Nevada.  All of the regulation there increase prices.

Sad to hear about the demise of Rubios.  Always enjoyed eating there.

19 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

We used to eat at Rubios in San Diego,  but it is no more.

That is a damn shame.  The home of the original fish taco and they were outstanding.  We use to drive from El Cajon just to get the fish taco's.