Removal of comfort on balconies

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, conquesodor said:

I too wish that Ms. Bethge was a little more forthcoming in her replies, but I still appreciate that she's taking these questions at all. I agree with all of you that the changes to the balcony furniture is a downgrade from what we had before, but I think her answer - despite being cloaked in highly polished corporate speak - acknowledges that a lot of people are unhappy and that they are looking at how they can remedy it. Hopefully we'll see proof of that soon.

At least she didn't trot out the "safety" rationale . . . 

It is nice to offer to answer questions.  But in doing do so, you know you're going to get more than a few "hard" questions.  It's like doing live Q&A during a cruise.  You have to think on your feet but also answer the question b/c there likely will be follow up. 

Many of these answers sound like they were written by attorneys.  A more honest answer might be:  We've heard from a lot of you regarding your dissatisfaction on this issue.  We also recognize that there may be inconsistency in application across our fleet.  We hear you.  We are going to ensure that, going forward, there is a single policy, that the rationale for the policy is sound, that the policy is clearly communicated, and that it is consistently applied.  Look for more on this by the end of August.  

How hard is that?  It doesn't insult our intelligence by suggesting some passengers actually like the new policy (rather, the "differences of opinion" of which she speaks are between those who made the policy (X corporate) and those who have to live with it (the paying passengers)).

Edited by ggo85
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ggo85 said:

At least she didn't trot out the "safety" rationale . . . 

It is nice to offer to answer questions.  But in doing do so, you know you're going to get more than a few "hard" questions.  It's like doing live Q&A during a cruise.  You have to think on your feet but also answer the question b/c there likely will be follow up. 

Many of these answers sound like they were written by attorneys.  A more honest answer might be:  We've heard from a lot of you regarding your dissatisfaction on this issue.  We also recognize that there may be inconsistency in application across our fleet.  We hear you.  We are going to ensure that, going forward, there is a single policy, that the rationale for the policy is sound, that the policy is clearly communicated, and that it is consistently applied.  Look for more on this by the end of August.  

How hard is that?  It doesn't insult our intelligence by suggesting some passengers actually like the new policy (rather, he "differences of opinion" of which she speaks are between those who made the policy (X corporate) and those who have to live with it (the paying passengers)).

I agree 100%. I'm not really sure why we can't get responses that are more like what you suggest. I'm sure they do listen to feedback and even convene focus groups to test some ideas, but how interesting and engaging would it be for a company to float major design decisions to a wider audience? "Hey, we're thinking about giving you all new balcony furniture across the fleet! Which of these three designs would you choose? Click here to take our survey." How cool would that be?

1 hour ago, ggo85 said:

We are going to ensure that, going forward, there is a single policy, that the rationale for the policy is sound, that the policy is clearly communicated, and that it is consistently applied.

I agree that consistency is or should be the end game...but....how many would like to be the exception to the rule when a lounger or footstool appears on their balcony?  Do they accept it quietly or do they turn it down because they insist on consistency and playing fair....🤫?  It's human to be human....😉.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I agree that consistency is or should be the end game...but....how many would like to be the exception to the rule when a lounger or footstool appears on their balcony?  Do they accept it quietly or do they turn it down because they insist on consistency and playing fair....🤫?  It's human to be human....😉.

Well, since I'm not cruising X unless or until they return loungers across the fleet, I really don't care.😀  

For me it's the anxiety of now knowing. It totally ruined my last cruise (and they did provide me a lounger when requested).  I'd rather have the certainty of knowing I won't have a lounger (in which case I wouldn't sail X) than booking a really expensive suite with the expectation I'll get one (because the brochure says I will) and then show up and be told "no."

Edited by ggo85
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2024 at 11:02 AM, Catnip said:

I have read many differing answers lately about lounge chairs on balcony's.  What is the "final answer"? If you are in a Retreat Suite and have a large balcony, are loungers provided?  We plan to book a Retreat Suite, but are not interested in a balcony with 2 small uncomfortable sit-up chairs. We spend a lot of time out on the balcony.  Thank you.

Removed from all suites but Royal and above on E. Class ships. Haven't sailed on M class in awhile but will in October. The Summit never did have loungers on Sky and Celebrity Suites but did have a comfy sofa.  Royal has comfy chairs but no lounger as of last cruise in Oct of 2023.

I wish that I had asked this question

As my paid booking states that a lounger is included on my Deluxe Balcony, and now it is not, will we be given OBC?, the option of no penalty for cancelling? Or should we just do a chargeback to our credit card?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Shipswap said:

As my paid booking states that a lounger is included on my Deluxe Balcony, and now it is not, will we be given OBC?, the option of no penalty for cancelling? Or should we just do a chargeback to our credit card?

Are you serious?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Shipswap said:

I think it’s reasonable to ask.  Seems Celebrity does the opposite of what it says it will do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shipswap said:

I was being facetious and using humor in response to the wishy washy response  from Laura.

“Washy?”

Look, I’ve told you a thousand times, we’re not talking about window washers.  An infinite veranda is NOT a window!!!  🙂

• Haha 3

As I read all of these comments I see an overwhelming desire for the return of footstools and loungers.  My husband and I book Concierge or Aqua for a variety of reasons but the foot stool is high on the list.

• Like 2

just off Eclipse in a SS.  We had the high back reclining chairs with footstools.  If there had only been the doll house size chairs, that would have been the end of Celebrity for us

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just getting around to looking at these after Celebrity is 0/2 for us on cruise satisfaction.  Our first X cruise was on Summit in November 2022 and was just....blah.  Very mediocre, in in some ways, poor experience.  Then booked a Galapagos sailing on the Flora.  X failed to disclose that Flora had a propulsion issue (which started weeks before we booked) and now our sailing is cancelled to dry dock the ship for repairs.  X called my TA two days ago about the cancellation and told him he'd receive an email shortly but two days later, nothing.

And I come here and peruse the Q&A...wow.  Only a few questions posed by frequent cruises (in some cases, very loyal to X) were answered.  The responses on those few (such as this topic) was nothing but corporate double-speak that meant absolutely nothing.  And in some cases (such as which cruises have family hours in the Solarium and retreat benefit cutbacks), the answers were simply untrue.  Lies, if you will.  Why Cruise Critic gave her a forum to do such a disservice to Cruise Critic members is very disappointing and beyond me.  If Cruise Critic were interested in the cruise travelers who post here, they would have fact-checked the easily disproven nonsense that came from the CEO on a number of the topics discussed.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alexandria said:

I'm just getting around to looking at these after Celebrity is 0/2 for us on cruise satisfaction.  Our first X cruise was on Summit in November 2022 and was just....blah.  Very mediocre, in in some ways, poor experience.  Then booked a Galapagos sailing on the Flora.  X failed to disclose that Flora had a propulsion issue (which started weeks before we booked) and now our sailing is cancelled to dry dock the ship for repairs.  X called my TA two days ago about the cancellation and told him he'd receive an email shortly but two days later, nothing.

And I come here and peruse the Q&A...wow.  Only a few questions posed by frequent cruises (in some cases, very loyal to X) were answered.  The responses on those few (such as this topic) was nothing but corporate double-speak that meant absolutely nothing.  And in some cases (such as which cruises have family hours in the Solarium and retreat benefit cutbacks), the answers were simply untrue.  Lies, if you will.  Why Cruise Critic gave her a forum to do such a disservice to Cruise Critic members is very disappointing and beyond me.  If Cruise Critic were interested in the cruise travelers who post here, they would have fact-checked the easily disproven nonsense that came from the CEO on a number of the topics discussed.

I have tried three cruise lines.  I keep coming back to Celebrity.  If you are that unhappy, please find something that better meets your needs.

For us, why Celebrity?  We were tired of all the Viking excursions with everyone in a walker.  We are not athletes but we can hike 6 miles at a volcano or hike up the side of a mountain.

NCL was good and we may try it again someday.

On Celebrity we have done Aqua and Sky Suite.  Great service, great employees, cloth towels in the bathrooms!  A choice of bars and restaurants.  Entertainment is good.

We have eaten at several Michelin star restaurants and have seen shows on Broadway and at local theaters.  Is Celebrity as good?  No, but they are more than good enough.

As a kid we were pretty poor and our one indulgence was getting in the car and going for ice cream.  So one day in Luminae when I joked about wanting a banana split, I was quite surprised when it showed up the next day.  That might happen anywhere but it’s the fact they paid attention to me that matters.  I’ve worked in many jobs that involve customer service so I pay attention to things like that.

The only negative in 4 cruises is that we had a manager in Luminae who ignored a same sex couple (us) for 2 weeks while he fawned over everyone else.  That was annoying.  I also saw the staff run around the ship to please someone who was sitting with us.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I have tried three cruise lines.  I keep coming back to Celebrity.  If you are that unhappy, please find something that better meets your needs.

I've been on many lines over the decades we have cruised.  After our Summit experience, we only booked Celebrity Flora because we preferred the itinerary offered when compared to Silversea Origin and the ship size when compared to Lindblad and others.  But it appears it was a mistake in judgment to give Celebrity a second chance and we will not be sailing any other X cruises after this.  For a brand that claims it "delivers an elevated premium vacation experience", Celebrity falls far short IMO.   

Seabourn was great, Silversea was also very good and we will be booking on Oceania, Regent and perhaps Viking to give those a try.  We don't like the megaships and party/booze cruises so our days of sailing NCL, CCL and, for the most part, Royal, are behind us.  HAL has always been good but we are moving toward the smaller, luxury brands now.

As to the Galapagos sailings, Celebrity continued to market the Flora with a specific itinerary without disclosing a significant propulsion issue that requires a two week drydock to repair.  Because the ship can only operate at half-speed, it has to remain close to Santa Cruz Island and in the place of a number of desirable locations has substituted multiple stops at Santa Cruz Island (2.5 of the 6 days are now spent there) and stays at Puerto Baquerizo for a full day (instead of the half-day promised).  To continue to market the original itinerary knowing that they would not sail it is simply a deceptive business practice. 

Some who are booked on sailings to occur prior to the December dry dock contacted Celebrity (after reading online reports from passengers about the propulsion issues and the itinerary changes) to be told that everything was fine with the ship and it would continue to sail the original itinerary.  It was only Wednesday that they finally publicly acknowledged the issue and notified affected passengers of the changes to the itinerary.  But they have not provided those passengers the ability to change their sailing to a later date...they are simply stuck with the issue without recourse if they are unhappy about the changes.  The Galapagos is a unique destination and each itinerary provides different opportunities to see wildlife that may only populate one particular location.  It isn't like just changing an itinerary from Cozumel to Costa Maya.  Removal of several stops in the Galapagos means that passengers will no longer be able to see certain species of wildlife that are only found on those stops.  In some cases, this is a once in a lifetime cruise and many passengers book very specific itineraries to see particular species of wildlife.  Celebrity's denial of the issue and lying about changed itineraries to those passengers who inquired is simply dishonest behavior. 

Customers can be very understanding and forgiving when a company provides honest, truthful information and the opportunity to make things completely right when the company is responsible for financial or other loss by the customer.  Celebrity has done neither.

Fair winds and following seas, my friend!  🛳️

Edited by alexandria
Spelling and grammar