HIA dinning - Need help!

So, my wife and I have the HIA package for our upcoming cruise on the Nieuw Statendam in December.  We are bringing our two children with us, who don't have the HIA package.

We would like to book a dinner (using our credits) in the Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill and would like to have our kids join us.  I called HAL and they told me I would have to pay for guests 3 and 4 if I book now.  We, however, have OBC and wanted to use this to pay for their meals.  

My question is, has anyone had an experience in which you booked guests 1 and 2 using HIA and then when you got on the ship, added guests 3 and 4 and used OBC?  I didn't know how flexible HAL is in accommodating extra guests to your reservations, especially if it is a full cruise.

The only thing I am afraid of is most nights will be full by the time I get on the ship to make reservations when I board.

On a side note, if I purchase Club Orange, am I automatically guaranteed reservations at all of the restaurants if I wait to book them once I get on board?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I've never heard of Tamarind and PG being unavailable for reservations.  My advice would be to relax and simply make your reservations when you board.  There is no reason at all to reserve now, in my opinion.  Make dining reservations you first stop when you get on the ship in December and book the dinners.  You won't have any problem paying for the kids' dinners using OBC, but if they are in a different cabin and the OBC is on your account, be sure that when you get to the restaurant you specify that you want all four meals on your account. 

57 minutes ago, coachmouchet said:

On a side note, if I purchase Club Orange, am I automatically guaranteed reservations at all of the restaurants if I wait to book them once I get on board?

No, you are not guaranteed reservations at all restaurants. It is very unlikely that you wouldn't be able to book them but it is not guaranteed.

I would book now for all four of you, using your HIA credits for two.  Pay for the two additional meals.  That way you are ensured of getting a table for four.  My fear, if you book two now and then add two more onboard, is that you may not be able to get a table for four, or the time you prefer. 

Then, once onboard, go to the Front Desk and ask them to credit the prepaid meals to your folio and use the OBC to pay for the two meals.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I would book now for all four of you, using your HIA credits for two.  Pay for the two additional meals.  That way you are ensured of getting a table for four.  My fear, if you book two now and then add two more onboard, is that you may not be able to get a table for four, or the time you prefer. 

Then, once onboard, go to the Front Desk and ask them to credit the prepaid meals to your folio and use the OBC to pay for the two meals.  

Cool!   I didn’t realize that you could do that!

And thank you everyone for the suggestions!

10 minutes ago, coachmouchet said:

Cool!   I didn’t realize that you could do that!

And thank you everyone for the suggestions!

I have no personal experience with this (yet) but have read reports here on CC about others who have done it.  Mostly with shorex but it also works with dining reservations.  Just make sure to do the dining at Guest Services and shorex at the shorex counter.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I have no personal experience with this (yet) but have read reports here on CC about others who have done it.  Mostly with shorex but it also works with dining reservations.  Just make sure to do the dining at Guest Services and shorex at the shorex counter.

Yes, that is correct!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 9:50 AM, coachmouchet said:

No, on the Nieuw Statendam your dining room for breakfast and dinner will be in the Club Orange dining room which IMO is a step above the MDR. CO does not guarantee reservations at the specialty restaurants. Also note, if your children do not have CO they also will not be able to join you in the CO dining room unless they are staying in your cabin.

Edited by terrydtx