Live from the Land of Princess

7 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@Eleanor Rigby 14 just when you say I’m bringing people together, I go and order pizza with pineapple. Few topics are more divisive than whether or not pineapple belongs on pizza. 
IMG_2043.thumb.jpeg.a5f1bd5b670ad9f5e2fadb405e854863.jpeg

This is my favourite pizza. Cheese and pineapple.

I also like Hawaiian pizza without the ham.

I love cheese and pineapple on pizza…and I really enjoy Hawaiian pizza with either ham or bacon on it. 😀

• Like 2

@Eleanor Rigby 14

These are sticks of rock. They often have words inside (such as place names) that run the whole way through. They are a different texture than lollipops and they last a long time.
IMG_1827.thumb.jpeg.1c3d68f991cb813702143307922b0c51.jpeg

White coffee must be coffee with milk. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Few topics are more divisive than whether or not pineapple belongs on pizza. 

The staple in my house is tuna, cheese, and pineapple pizza.

You're welcome...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YVRteacher said:

@Eleanor Rigby 14

These are sticks of rock. They often have words inside (such as place names) that run the whole way through. They are a different texture than lollipops and they last a long time.
IMG_1827.thumb.jpeg.1c3d68f991cb813702143307922b0c51.jpeg

White coffee must be coffee with milk. 

Nailed it!

A stick of rock is mandatory for any visit to the seaside. Often brought back as a present (souvenir). It's pretty much a well-known fact that no one actually LIKES sticks of rock. But they must be purchased. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was going to say I don’t like sticks of rock but I didn’t want to offend you.  My dad brought one back for me from Bristol when I was 10 and I think the person who enjoyed it the most was my mom because that thing kept me quiet for hours!

• Haha 7

Honfleur is great to just walk around. There is a wooden church that is something you have to see. It can be very crowded. The shop owners are friendly and love to talk about the area. aQ6vtuaARbeVLPun-V7KEA.thumb.jpeg.d388cd76635545ce4995bc27bc53b36e.jpegtmiQ4OcZQj2ey54HnxfHFg.thumb.jpeg.6a3a8cead9bcb53c596b8778b4f50bab.jpegv5_M9TX2QLCi5Ft6Ofqj_A.thumb.jpeg.35a903df6ae980ce7897b64fd3a3f940.jpeg

_sHU5tpxQZOKoLCnDUx8LA.jpeg

• Like 8

Google is your friend. The significant difference between white coffee and black coffee is the roasting temperature and time. Black coffee is roasted at higher temperatures ranging from 400 to 475 degrees Fahrenheit for longer, whereas white coffee is half-roasted at a lower temperature of 325 degrees Fahrenheit.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cjpj said:

Google is your friend. The significant difference between white coffee and black coffee is the roasting temperature and time. Black coffee is roasted at higher temperatures ranging from 400 to 475 degrees Fahrenheit for longer, whereas white coffee is half-roasted at a lower temperature of 325 degrees Fahrenheit.

2 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

She said white coffee was coffee with milk. This was a bit of a dive diner and not some fancy coffee bar.

I was just about to say....no way is white coffee that fancy in the UK. White coffee (and white tea) is "with milk" (or cream if you're fancy and lucky)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A typical thing for me to do in a new place is find a repeating theme to photograph. This may be stone walls, iron gates, chimneys, sweets, murals or shops. Because Weymouth is diverse, colourful and vibrant I walked a long time and took a lot of unrelated photos before the “theme” came to me.

May I present to you…

Legs of Weymouth!

IMG_2085.thumb.jpeg.c61dccbaa710b78c25a38134b47ab4ec.jpeg

Bottom right is granny’s dress flying up while she devoured a double decker ice cream cone!

• Like 9
  • Haha 9

18 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Nailed it!

A stick of rock is mandatory for any visit to the seaside. Often brought back as a present (souvenir). It's pretty much a well-known fact that no one actually LIKES sticks of rock. But they must be purchased. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

I have to disagree here. I LOVE seaside rock. Especially the fruity one but love mint also. But it needs to be HARD none of that soft nonsense. It's meant to be hard, so that you are praying that you don't need to visit the dentist afterwards. The clue is in the title. 

Another britishism, you will often hear Brits saying "if you cut me in the middle, it will have(insert school, country, town, team etc)going all the way through."

• Like 1

Normandy is also known for Apple cider (and pear). If you can get off early, find somewhere to have a croissant and chocolate (hot chocolate). You won’t touch a “cruise ship” croissant ever again. Then there are the patisseries! Macarons, pastries, etc. 
Check out the yogourt selection in the supermarkets. Crazy!

I’ve been loving your “live” and check it a couple of times a day. I love your pace of travel. We are very similar and enjoy walking as far as we can and really seeing what regular life is like in a place. Love grocery stores when travelling too! Fascinating. 

• Like 5

On the subject of weird coffee phrases...I lived in Vancouver for 10 years before learning what a "Double Double" was because I was too embarrassed to ask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

She said white coffee was coffee with milk. This was a bit of a dive diner and not some fancy coffee bar.

We’ve also had coffee with milk referred to as white coffee in the UK. I think my relatives even called it that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

On the subject of weird coffee phrases...I lived in Vancouver for 10 years before learning what a "Double Double" was because I was too embarrassed to ask.

It’s a quick trip to diabetes.

My BIL was visiting and ran in there and asked for a “regular” coffee thinking it would be plain black, and got cream and sugar. He threw it out.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

What did they call it at Dunkin Donuts?

I second Sugar Magnolia's recommendations.

Normandy is known for its butter, local cheeses such as Camembert, Calvados, cider, crepes/galettes (buckwheat crepes), apple everything (I'm too late to tell you to save your apple pie tooth for Honfleur, where they have Tarte Normande), and Crottes de Mouettes (translates as seagull droppings, but is tasty chocolate and salted caramel nibbles). Her suggestion of Crepes de Arts is a good one as you should be able to get a lot of the local specialities in one place.

Or keep it simple and go to a bakery or pastry shop - and let your nose and eyes decide for you.

This place looks interesting https://maisonblondel.fr/en/home-2/

Honfleur looks like it will be a photographer's paradise.so I expect you will have a brilliant time there.

• Like 6

I’m not a coffee expert at all but all this time on Princess has turned me into a honey lavender coffee addict! I don’t know what I’m going to do when I wake up at home on July 8 and there is no honey lavender latte.

• Haha 9

3 minutes ago, Muckyduckway said:

I second Sugar Magnolia's recommendations.

Normandy is known for its butter, local cheeses such as Camembert, Calvados, cider, crepes/galettes (buckwheat crepes), apple everything (I'm too late to tell you to save your apple pie tooth for Honfleur, where they have Tarte Normande), and Crottes de Mouettes (translates as seagull droppings, but is tasty chocolate and salted caramel nibbles). Her suggestion of Crepes de Arts is a good one as you should be able to get a lot of the local specialities in one place.

Or keep it simple and go to a bakery or pastry shop - and let your nose and eyes decide for you.

This place looks interesting https://maisonblondel.fr/en/home-2/

Honfleur looks like it will be a photographer's paradise.so I expect you will have a brilliant time there.

When I am sitting at home missing France, I start eating my salted butter imported from Normandy.

• Like 3

Finishing up Weymouth with some beach donkeys.

IMG_1926.thumb.jpeg.825bbee14f9410f9d802a70f1968bf85.jpeg

IMG_1947.thumb.jpeg.eb8f9cd88634c67f24ca1c659e910b89.jpeg

IMG_1939.thumb.jpeg.a6d790b22c4d49eaabbc1064c4f41f58.jpeg

IMG_1924.thumb.jpeg.3ba05e2cdd44e33613ae468b42141fa8.jpeg

They had such beautiful long ears. They were skittish and shied away from touch and I felt badly for them.

IMG_1925.thumb.jpeg.0157de24e1415e8c6a24e431ebd27e61.jpeg

• Like 8

I can't remember whether you've been I'm France before, but if not, a word of warning re French restaurants etc. They may have a different definition of "no meat" - more than once we've been told bacon is not meat. It could have changed as its been a long time since we've been there but would hate for your day to be impacted by a misunderstanding. We found it best when ordering something like a crepe to list what you want in it, or what you want removed, rather than simply saying "no meat" or "vegetarian".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

When I am sitting at home missing France, I start eating my salted butter imported from Normandy.

Do you have a shop that imports or did you order online?