Newbie question about MDR menus.

Sailing on the Norwegian Sun in October. I had thought I found definitive MDR menus on the profcruise site for this year (and perhaps they are) but after following @BirdTravels Live a little bit ago, I noted that the beef dishes had by and large been removed. (main menu entrees, not the classics). 

I am wondering if this is the case fleetwide now. Can anyone post the current MDR menus as they stand today? Are the beef entrees back? Never gone? Ship dependent?

And another question:  I saw that some of the MDR menus had a Cagney's section you could order from while in the MDR. Is that Cagney's section available every night in the MDR or just on select nights? (I am aware of the upcharge)  

Thanks!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

There are over 20 different menus. No way to know what you're going to get. Beef is indeed becoming a rare entree. Cagney's items are available every night.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm aware of all the menus. I've looked at them on the profcruise site. They all had beef entrees on them. But the ones I've seen lately elsewhere are very, very similar to the ones I've seen...sans the beef. 

Good to know I can order Cagney's if I need a beef fix!

29 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Sailing on the Norwegian Sun in October. I had thought I found definitive MDR menus on the profcruise site for this year (and perhaps they are) but after following @BirdTravels Live a little bit ago, I noted that the beef dishes had by and large been removed. (main menu entrees, not the classics). 

I am wondering if this is the case fleetwide now. Can anyone post the current MDR menus as they stand today? Are the beef entrees back? Never gone? Ship dependent?

And another question:  I saw that some of the MDR menus had a Cagney's section you could order from while in the MDR. Is that Cagney's section available every night in the MDR or just on select nights? (I am aware of the upcharge)  

Thanks!

The menus you found on profcruise are current and accurate. Beef dishes, other than the classics, have all but disappeared from the MDR menus. 

• Thanks 1

Wondering if the main dining room menus changed in June like some of the specialty menu? and if so, are the ones linked above are as of the end of June?

1 hour ago, Lindy Sue said:

Another newbie question - do these menus rotate/repeat on longer cruises? We have a 15 night cruise coming up. 🙂 

On a 21-day, we never had the same menu twice.

• Like 1

Does anyone have some recent menus to share? I have seen the ones that have eliminated the beef options from the daily selections. I also heard that they decreased the number of appetizers and dessert options. Can anyone verify if that is true?

Posted (edited)

I think the new menus can be found on cruise gear which last updated in June.  I'm comparing those menus with those found on the freestyle travelers. 

There is one less classic entree on cruise gear - the pork loin is gone - so only 5 choices instead of 6. 

I found one of the "matching" menus on the two pages.  For featured entrees, the sauteed chimichurri beef is gone; pecan crusted turkey medallions remains; grilled lemon pepper tilapia is replaced with broiled lemon pepper coal fish; chicken and seafood paella remains; spaghetti puttanesca remains; braised lamp shank is gone.

Appetizers on that day: coconut shrimp, italian beef meatballs, avocado hummus, bruschetta remain; smoked mozzarella ravioli is replaced with cheese ravioli (both with lobster cream sauce), chicken & matzo ball soup and cream of asparagus soup and french onion soup remain as well as the three salad choices

After I figured out how to flip through the menus, it does appear that beef is not included in any of the daily featured entrees although strip steak is still on the every day classic entrees.

Edited by DorothyB

1 hour ago, Nurse Carol said:

Does anyone have some recent menus to share? I have seen the ones that have eliminated the beef options from the daily selections. I also heard that they decreased the number of appetizers and dessert options. Can anyone verify if that is true?

The ones linked above are current as of the date of this post. 

1 hour ago, Manchester is blue said:

Wonder if NCL realise that not everyone likes Cheese… Those menus are cheese with cheese with added cheesy cheese. With cheese on the side. Then cheesecake. 

I'm lactose intolerant, and I noticed this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Who doesn't like cheese? Like, .0263% of the population of the planet? 😄

Well I just did some research on this topic. Around 4% of the population in the US do not like cheese. I’m English, research suggests around 11% of my fellow Englishman don’t eat the horrid stuff. There is therefore a considerable number of people on a cruise of say 2000 souls that share my opinion and I’d rather prefer if the menus reflected that. 
cheers 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ChrysFox said:

And yet another newbie question:
Do all sailings start on day one of the menus, or is it up to the ship to decide ?

The chef on board decides, and the menus don’t have to be used in any particular order. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Manchester is blue said:

Well I just did some research on this topic. Around 4% of the population in the US do not like cheese. I’m English, research suggests around 11% of my fellow Englishman don’t eat the horrid stuff. There is therefore a considerable number of people on a cruise of say 2000 souls that share my opinion and I’d rather prefer if the menus reflected that. 
cheers 

Nice work. Let's make it 8%. That means 1840 souls out of your 2000 like cheese. That's probably why you see it, a lot. 😄

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Nice work. Let's make it 8%. That means 1840 souls out of your 2000 like cheese. That's probably why you see it, a lot. 😄

Not if the majority of said souls are British it doesn’t,… 🇬🇧👍🏼In any case,assuming your 8%. What should the 160 souls that, like me, detest the fatty, odious, malodorous  stuff eat? 

Edited by Manchester is blue

6 minutes ago, Manchester is blue said:

Not if the majority of said souls are British it doesn’t,… 🇬🇧👍🏼In any case,assuming your 8%. What should the 160 souls that, like me, detest the fatty, odious, malodorous  stuff eat? 

Being of Dutch decent, there is rarely a meal I eat that does not include the gloriousness that is cheese. Therefore, I have no common frame of reference from which to answer your question.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Manchester is blue said:

Eat cake!!🤣