River Cruise

JuneJune

My daughter and I are getting ready to book a Christmas Market river cruise but before I book, I have a question regarding evenings.  One of the things we would love to see is the markets at night.  Is there an opportunity to be in port at night or does it only give you the opportunity to be in town during the day? 

It’s going to vary by cruise line and itinerary. If ports are close together you may stay late in port and you will have time after dinner. You may even find an itinerary that overnights in a port. 
Sunset comes early at this time of year, so you are likely to to see the markets lit up before you need to board. 

Check the itinerary of the cruise you are planning. It should have the times listed so you'll know how long you are docked for. Enjoy your cruise. 

51 minutes ago, JJK2008 said:

Check the itinerary of the cruise you are planning. It should have the times listed so you'll know how long you are docked for. Enjoy your cruise. 

Actually, for river cruising that is unusual. Dock times can be very flexible due to river traffic, locks, and river levels.

• Like 1

Depends entirely on the cruise itinerary and cruise line.  We just got back from a cruise on the Rhine with Avalon and they offer the same cruise as a Christmas Market cruise and if selected, it would offer very few evening market tours.  

It would be best if you post the actual cruise itinerary you are thinking of booking and hopefully people who have taken it can give you a clearer idea of the cruise and access to Christmas markets.  Remember, some ports may be within walking distance of a market but many will require bus rides to reach the markets.  

Here are some pics of beautiful Colmar, France which has a Christmas Market.  Our guide shared with us that the Christmas Markets attract a lot of tourists (3 million) all trying to navigate those narrow, medieval streets.  

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 4.00.54 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 4.01.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 4.01.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 4.01.35 PM.png

Certainly the timing suggested in the itinerary will not be exact. But one can get a sense of whether the ship will be cruising during or right after diner or if there will be a later departure. It’s one of those things where you can get “a ballpark” idea, but no guarantee.

I have been on 2 Christmas Markets river cruises that visited Christmas markets at night.

Uniworld, Germany & Austria Christmas, December 2007. Evening/night visit to the market at St Emmerman Palace in Regensburg.

Viking Tialfi, Rhine Getaway, (late) November 2017. Evening/night visit to the markets in Heidelberg, and in Rudesheim am Rhein. On this sailing, we also had an opportunity for a night visit to the Cologne market, but we had visited that market during the day so instead went on the beer hall crawl, which was very enjoyable.