Copenhagen and Dublin Hotels

Islay Peat

20 hours ago, Whitby100 said:

Thanks for all this. Can someone clarify what the ‘train’ is? We will likely take it plus the bus as FredZiffle suggested.

The last time we were there was pre-pandemic, so the details of our trip are a bit fuzzy.  We traveled from the airport to our hotel and then later from the hotel to the port.  We took a regular train to the hotel and a metro tram from the hotel to downtown where we switched to a bus to get to the port.  I believe they opened up a new tram line (M4) since then which makes the journey easier.  If you go to the link provided by jollyjones, you can use the journey planner to see your exact route, but it looks like the M2 Metro line from the airport. Transfer to the M4 and then finally to bus 164.  The walk times listed make the walking distance seem farther than it actually is.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 5:53 AM, Mrs.Dukes said:

In Copenhagen, we’ve stayed twice at the Absalon Hotel which we liked. In Dublin, last year we stayed at both The Mont and Buswells. We thought they were both nice hotels.

Thank you for this. I was looking at the Absalon, and I am confident it wold be perfect for the hubby and me. 

The trip I am planning also involves my brother and sister-in-law, who will have golf clubs in tow. I am concerned about the mini flight of stairs in the hallways. Dad and Hubby are shipping their clubs, as we are traveling before and after the golf cruise, so that's not a concern for us, but luggage could be. 

I'm also concerned about the bathtub showers. It sounds like the tubs are quite tall. My dad's comapnion is less than 5 feet tall, with very short legs. Do you recall anything about the tubs? Do you think this height-challenged lady would have trouble with them?

Please don't worry if you don't recall. I just figured it was worth a shot to ask, as I can't really ask anyone who has left a review. 

3 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Thank you for this. I was looking at the Absalon, and I am confident it wold be perfect for the hubby and me. 

The trip I am planning also involves my brother and sister-in-law, who will have golf clubs in tow. I am concerned about the mini flight of stairs in the hallways. Dad and Hubby are shipping their clubs, as we are traveling before and after the golf cruise, so that's not a concern for us, but luggage could be. 

I'm also concerned about the bathtub showers. It sounds like the tubs are quite tall. My dad's comapnion is less than 5 feet tall, with very short legs. Do you recall anything about the tubs? Do you think this height-challenged lady would have trouble with them?

Please don't worry if you don't recall. I just figured it was worth a shot to ask, as I can't really ask anyone who has left a review. 

The tubs were definitely tall. I am fairly short and it was a little difficult. I just made sure to hold on when getting out f the tub.

The short flight of stairs was a little annoying with the luggage, but not too bad.

• Thanks 1

I suspect that our experience of the Absalon pretty well mirrors those expressed in 99% of the Tripadvisor reviews. Nice rooms, good breakfast and bar and very pleasant and helpful staff. The location is excellent for getting around Copenhagen but this is caveated dependent on where in the hotel your room is. The hotel is in the red light area and at the front/facing onto the main Istedgade street the covered areas in front of a couple of shops small numbers of prostitutes gather from around 11:30 to about 5:00 in the morning and it is very noisy off and on all through the night. Those in the inner courtyard facing rooms I'm sure would not even be aware that this happens. We had a room at the front 2nd floor and this was not a massive problem as it was March so the windows mainly remained closed and with all Copenhagen has to offer we could sleep through anything! Wouldn't want one of these rooms in Summer though

As per the other reports the area is busy, vibrant, lots of good bars and restaurants and not at all threatening and the metro and main station are just minutes walk away. We did a food and drink walking tour of the Vesterbro area on our first night which gave us lots of pointers as to where to go. Apologies do not remember a bathtub which suggests we may have  had a shower?

• Thanks 1

Thank you, @Mrs.Dukes and @davekent! This is very helpful information.

Dad is a retired cop, including 5 years in scary undercover situations, and 18 years as a homicide detective, so he's not easily shocked. His height-challenged companion is a tough old broad, in the very best meaning of that phrase, and lots of fun. I'm just concerned about her ability to get in and out of the tub. 

If we book the Absalon, I'll ask if they can be put into a room without a tub, just in case. They'll both be 83 on this trip, and are very active. He plays golf 3 times a week and she line dances twice a week. They are currently on an Alaska cruise, and I spoke to them last night. She says she thinks she can handle the tub. 

I have gratitude to you both!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

If we book the Absalon, I'll ask if they can be put into a room without a tub, just in case.

I'm younger than that, and I was even younger when this happened:  I got stuck in a tub in a hotel in Honfleur.  DW had to help me out, and even then it was dicey.  This one didn't have a shower head, so I was sitting in the water and the porcelain was slippery.  But I will never again take a room with a tub (even combo shower-tub) if there is any other alternative!  And I check ship and hotel specs and pics carefully.

• Like 2

Stayed in Skt Petri in Copenhagen this year. Great location for walking to highlights; very good breakfast. Taxi to cruise ship - not expensive.

• Thanks 1

A couple of weeks ago we stayed at the Gibson Hotel in Dublin. It was a five minute walk from the cruise ship. We could see it from our balcony.

By 9.30am after getting off the ship we were checked in at the hotel and all our luggage taken from us. We had to wait a few hours for our room but that was no hardship.

The hotel is not in the centre of Dublin but the tram is outside the hotel that takes you there, it is also next to The Arena.

We found it quiet, it suited our needs. €27 for a taxi to the airport, there is also a bus but we never found the stop

The breakfast was very good.