What did you dislike / hate? New to VV

Bryton-1

Posted (edited)

I’ve heard overwhelmingly positive things about virgin voyages so I finally booked. With all that said… what did you not like? So far, I see the pool is really small (I’m not much of a pool person) and the app is HORRENDOUS. I for the life of me cannot understand how a company that basically requires this app to be downloaded… how can it be such a disaster? I’m also somewhat bummed about not having a drinks package, but I’ll survive. My final gripe is that the cabin doors for the ADA cabins are not equipped with a door arm to make the door automatic. I would think that because VV wants to be considered a “premium” cruise line, things like that would’ve been more likely. To me, so far the cruise doesn’t seem so “all inclusive”. I’m not talking about alcohol I mean more the premium WiFi offering, speciality coffee / tea and “treat yourself” options on the menus.

Thanks! 

Edited by Bryton-1

There are plenty of reviews on this board of Virgin. 

There are no drink packages, but other than alcohol and fancy coffees, everything is included. Plus, most people end up getting some bar tab credit to use. I can't speak for the HA rooms.

I don't think they ever advertised themselves as an AI. You don't need the treat yourself options to have a good meal on the ship. 

• Like 1

The "all-inclusive" aspect of Virgin is that basic wi-fi in included in your fare.  Premium wi-fi can be purchased once onboard and it's very reasonably priced compared to other cruise lines, something like $50 for the entire cruise, but it would depend on the length of your cruise.  If you're a soda drinker, that's also included in your fare.  Other cruise lines don't include soda unless you buy a drinks package.  Their coffee bars that charge for specialty coffee is also reasonably priced.  However, their beans are from Intelligentsia and they lack a good flavor profile.  This is, of course, subjective.

Also included in your fare is ALL dining in every restaurant.  What would be considered specialty dining on other cruise lines is free.  Also, no gratuities to worry about.  It's part of the fare.

What I  don't like is their continuous price increases for everything, the spa, bingo, alcoholic beverages, room service (called Ship Eats).  You can buy mini, or half, bottles of alcohol to take to your room, but the bartender has to open it.  It comes with your choice of mixer sodas.  My last cruise in February 2024, that bottle was $60.  It's now $75.

It's getting ridiculous.  I've cruised with them 8 times, and I may be priced out very soon, even with the all-inclusive aspect.

Posted (edited)

I don't like how they are swapping premium liquor or regular.

On our last cruise, we constantly got up sold without actually being told.

I.e: I like old fashions, and the server started up a conversation saying how he loves them as well. He then said something about making it really good if. I figured he was just cracking a joke since he was funny and cracking jokes and what not. Later when reviewing the bar tab noticed he punched it in with really expensive bourbon.

Again at the pool bar, I wanted a simple mixed drink and the bartender asked what I wanted it made with, then suggested premium liquor... For a mixed drink? No thanks.

Happen again at Pink Agave. I wanted I real margarita, not the fake cocktail mix. Server said sure we can do that. This time I caught on from the prior experiences and asked how much it would be. Something like $38 because they were going to charge 2x tequila and 1x grand Marnier.

Don't know when this started, but is kinda gross.

Edited by -The-True-North-
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, -The-True-North- said:

So just a heads up on my experience.

You might have to specifically say basic or well liquor if you don't know what is covered as such or know what is considered premium.

The well/house spirits are Absolut vodka, Bacardi rum, Beefeater gin, Buffalo Trace bourbon and Olmeca Altos tequila.

For mixed drinks I always ask for Absolut vodka by name as it’s not worth paying the extra $2 for Tito’s as in my opinion it’s worse quality.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bryton-1 said:

To me, so far the cruise doesn’t seem so “all inclusive”. I’m not talking about alcohol I mean more the premium WiFi offering, speciality coffee / tea and “treat yourself” options on the menus

Ignore the treat yourself options on menus, they are not needed as the regular options are more than good enough, unless you really need seafood.

But overall what we like about VV is the fun entertainment and happy engaging cast and crew, having no kids onboard and a diverse range of guests (sailors), the range of interesting bars and spaces and the fact it is almost all inclusive, you can get soda for free from any bar, there is always food available and can get mezze, hot dogs & wines, scooped ice cream and pizza at no cost, with pizza available to 2am.

Our experience with VV sold excursions was terrible, where the actual excursion simply did not match the description in key factual areas.

In several dining venues the menus are so limited that you've basically tried everything with one visit - Pink Agave for example.

The Galley got so busy we couldn't find anywhere to sit and lines at every serving station were so bad we just grabbed to-go boxes and ate in our cabin.

In several areas service was just so-so. We sat a long time at The Dock and eventually had to flag a server down to place an order. Service at Richard's Rooftop was really a case oof going to the bar and ordering, as the servers seldom seemed to check in on us.

Generally Virgin does what they do well, but what they do just wasn't for us. We're more about the destinations and less about the onboard party.

• Like 1

Keep in mind VV sells the same excursions that everyone else does, through the same vendors. 

I will say that while I wouldn't not cruise VV again, it's also not my top pick. 

Posted (edited)

Here are my two cents...and keep in mind we have another Virgin cruise planned for this summer...

We found that the excursions were not great (this was for our greek cruise).  We actually got refunded for 2 of them because they were terrible (tour guides got us lost, bus didn't know where to go...etc).

I also found the staff less professional.  I LOVE the diversity and no limits on showing tattoos, piercings, hair, etc.  But service shouldn't be compromised.  We witnessed entertainment staff using foul language with one another, ignoring guests, and not knowing key information (where venues were, restrooms, etc.). I just got the sense that maybe the training for staff isn't as rigorous as other lines.    

Overall I just felt like Virgin is GOING to be great one day.  But they're working out kinks that other established lines have had more experience with. 

Edited by SarcasmSpasm
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SarcasmSpasm said:

Here are my two cents...and keep in mind we have another Virgin cruise planned for this summer...

We found that the excursions were not great (this was for our greek cruise).  We actually got refunded for 2 of them because they were terrible (tour guides got us lost, bus didn't know where to go...etc).

I also found the staff less professional.  I LOVE the diversity and no limits on showing tattoos, piercings, hair, etc.  But service shouldn't be compromised.  We witnessed entertainment staff using foul language with one another, ignoring guests, and not knowing key information (where venues were, restrooms, etc.). I just got the sense that maybe the training for staff isn't as rigorous as other lines.    

Overall I just felt like Virgin is GOING to be great one day.  But they're working out kinks that other established lines have had more experience with. 

While I can't speak for the excursions, I agree on the staff. IMHO, the fact that they aren't working for tips might have something to do with it. While my experience wasn't as rough as yours, I definitely felt that compared to a cruise line where tips are handed out, the staff on VV didn't put in the effort.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

While I can't speak for the excursions, I agree on the staff. IMHO, the fact that they aren't working for tips might have something to do with it. While my experience wasn't as rough as yours, I definitely felt that compared to a cruise line where tips are handed out, the staff on VV didn't put in the effort.

I understand that gratuity is included in the fare pricing.  Are staff allowed to accept additional tips?  I have always tipped my room stewards, bartenders, and servers extra on other cruise lines.  

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, curious_st said:

I understand that gratuity is included in the fare pricing.  Are staff allowed to accept additional tips?  I have always tipped my room stewards, bartenders, and servers extra on other cruise lines.  

If you insist you can tip extra, https://www.virginvoyages.com/help-and-support/search?text=Can I tip extra for Crew on board?

Personally I would discourage the sort of bribe to get better service tips though as that will create an expectation of tipping culture and I think the experience on VV is better because there is no expected tip. 

but VV rewards their staff by giving them additional time off and similar if you name them in the post-voyage survey so take down names of people who really impress you. I also think small gifts like chocolate or something unique from your home town can go a lot further than just cash.

Edited by jon81uk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, curious_st said:

We had a server on VV tell us that she makes three times as much on VV as on her previous tipped line. We've also had spa people turn down tips. saying that it was included in the service price (which it is).  One of the questions on the email quiz after you are home is whether anyone asked or suggested a tip, which is strictly not allowed.  The only people I've heard of having a problem on VV are the bartenders who have worked other lines because they are used to getting the 18% automatic grat AND an additional $1 or 2 per drink on those other lines.  THeir salary is more than the salary+ 18% from the other lines, but they aren't getting the $1 per drink on VV, and some were making less due to that.
Yes we have always tipped on other lines, but on those lines, tipping is expected.  

There is nothing to prevent you from tipping on VV other than it must be in cash--there is no way to add a tip to a charge.  On the other hand, there is no reason to tip.  As noted, their total pay is better than salary + tips on other lines.  In addition they get many benefits--free wifi (which is huge), laundry products and toiletries provided, good food (all eat at the same mess rather than an officer's mess and a separate crew mess), ability to use guest facilities based on rank and how full the ship is, etc.  Sure, there are women who have a preferred product and don't want the ship's shampoo, but the ship provides them with the same products the normal cabins get!  All of this means that things they must buy on other lines, especially wifi, are part of salary on VV.

Other than entertainment staff, which aren't tipped on any line, I haven't seen any less service on VV.  In fact, I've generally seen more and better service.  The entertainers tend to form their own little "clique" on many lines....

So yes, you can leave some cash in your room or hand it to your room steward.  Since you will have a different server each night. there is no really good way to tip a server.  But I wouldn't suggest it.  What you should do is name those who have been good on your evaluation...name and position.  I will sometimes ask if I can shoot a photo of their name tag so I don't forget (this usually gets huge smiles).  I even say that I won't shoot their face, and show them the picture afterwards.  Mentions in customer comments get them perks--sometimes as little as an extra hour off on a port day (which can be huge to crew members), sometimes bigger....sometimes enough will get a promotion, etc.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2024 at 8:12 AM, jon81uk said:

Ignore the treat yourself options on menus, they are not needed as the regular options are more than good enough, unless you really need seafood.

But overall what we like about VV is the fun entertainment and happy engaging cast and crew, having no kids onboard and a diverse range of guests (sailors), the range of interesting bars and spaces and the fact it is almost all inclusive, you can get soda for free from any bar, there is always food available and can get mezze, hot dogs & wines, scooped ice cream and pizza at no cost, with pizza available to 2am.

Wine is free??

50 minutes ago, noshoobie said:

Wine is free??

Sorry, that was a typo for wings as in hot dogs and chicken wings.

Can get free sparkling wine at the sailaway 5.45-6.15pm on the first day though.

Things I don't like on Virgin - 

- Dinner Reservations - Making and Managing Dinner Reservations is an extra step that I don't appreciate - I much prefer Celebrity "Anytime Dining" 

- Friendly / Professional Staff - Staff on Virgin is a really mixed bag - some are excellent but many are either not well trained or simply lack basic customer service skills that other lines require. I've had servers ignore me and even act annoyed when I had a basic question or request from the menu.

- Staff will often stare at iPad / iPhone instead of looking at you - Because everything is automated through the iPads and phones, staff will often stare at devices instead of looking at you - this comes across as unprofessional to me. 

- Design of Cabins - Lots of wasted space, not ideal for storage and no comfortable place to sit.  When they decided it was too much trouble to convert the rooms from day to night they needed to put comfortable chairs / sofas in the rooms. 

Plenty of great things on Virgin as well - I plan to cruise with them again, as well as other lines. 

• Like 1

Dislikes--dinner reservations can be hard to change if your sailing is more full.  Our earlier sailings were not crowded and last minute changes worked fine.
Agree with staff looking at devices...but then, I need to look at my device if I am using it.

Cabin layouts.  We had the same cabin number on Scarlet and Valiant (by request) yet found that the layout was different.  No explanation.  Some things just wasted space, didn't work, etc.

But as above, plenty of really good things.  We got off our first VV with 3 more booked

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

Design of Cabins - Lots of wasted space, not ideal for storage and no comfortable place to sit.  When they decided it was too much trouble to convert the rooms from day to night they needed to put comfortable chairs / sofas in the rooms

It’s not too much trouble, they just found a majority of guests preferred having a bed. If you want a sofa tell the room attendant or tap in the app/ tablet for that to tell them.

2 hours ago, jon81uk said:

Sorry, that was a typo for wings as in hot dogs and chicken wings.

Can get free sparkling wine at the sailaway 5.45-6.15pm on the first day though.

The heck with free wings! I want free wine! 🍷

• Haha 1

Pricing is the main reason i may not cruise on Virgin again.  They only have 4 ships (after Brilliant lady launches next year).  That means their itineraries and schedules are very limited. Unless they plan to stay in NYC (they're not as of now through 2026 theoretically), it means I have to fly to where the ship leaves.  However, I will cruise with Virgin if the total cost (what virgin charges vs. other cruise lines plus the extras that Virgin includes) comes out to be around the same and its an itinerary i want.  The issue is that many of Virgin's itineraries, i am not a big fan of, which then leaves a small choice for everything else.

My first and only Virgin was a 14 night Transatlantic and we absolutely loved it.  It was amazing.  I got it for an amazing price too, which unfortunately, I will never repeat.  I mean, 1800 for an interior with 800 Bar tab was a steal.

What I love, is that the crew just seem happier.  On other cruise lines, the crew is amazing as well, but its not the same.  Here, I can tell the morale is just better.  Not just better pay for the crew, but i found that they are treated better from what I saw on the ship as well as from stuff i found online.

Everyone has pretty much said what they liked and i don't need to rehash that from everyone.  They're right.

What I did not like.  For our cruise, it was not an issue, but anything shorter than 7 nights, would have been.  The show venues, I felt are a little small.  They recently made the shows first come, first served, instead of having reservations.  But because the venues are smaller, you need to get in line earlier to get in.  Now, for our cruise, it wasn't as much of an issue because the shows would repeat in the 14 nights we were there, but if you were on a 5 night cruise.  Nope, forget about it.  You either wait in line, or you miss the show.  *maybe* it will play again, but since i haven't been on a shorter one, I do not know if they'll do that.

I loved the Manor as a dance venue.  I HATE the Manor as a show venue.  There are limited seats that have a full view of the stage.  I get that they're trying to recreate a lounge venue, but that really limits the number of people who can enjoy the show fully and the rest is just wasted space as you can't see the stage, which is the center of attention.

19 hours ago, jon81uk said:

It’s not too much trouble, they just found a majority of guests preferred having a bed. If you want a sofa tell the room attendant or tap in the app/ tablet for that to tell them.

I honestly didn't know it was still an option - has anyone on here asked for the sofa option? 

VV prices have definitely increased A LOT.  I'm quite sure that the days of the pricing I got on our 4 transatlantics will never been seen again.

Yes, you can get the sofa option by asking.  Your host may not be happy as it is work, but they are paid and trained to do it upon request.  At least this was accurate as of May 2024