Laundry question

I apologize if this has been asked/answered but I can't seem to find the answer to my specific questions.  We're sailing 9 nights on the Equinox in September & doing several days before/after in Spain so trying to pack as light as possible (says the chronic over packer LOL).  We're willing to pay for the laundry but wasn't sure of the restrictions/limitations.  If we do the "take home bag" deal, can those be used on the first day as we're unpacking?  Also is there a last day those are eligible to be used (e.g. 2 days prior)?  I know in the past when we've used the mid-week laundry bag special on prior sailings & it's taken about 24 hours or so to get things back.  Is that still the case?  This is the longest out of country trip we've ever taken so just trying to be prepared!

The last couple times (in the past year) we did the Boil N' Bake laundry bag on Celebrity, it took 48 hours+ to get it back. It didn't used to. We weren't paying for it though. You can always pay extra for express service.

Generally, you cannot send laundry out toward the end of the cruise, usually the last three days of the cruise. And most stewards ask that you not send it on the first day when you are unpacking. You could send it out the next morning and you should figure on a 48 hour turnaround time.  You might be pleasantly surprised and get it faster, but don’t set yourself up for disappointment if it takes all of the 48 hours or more.

• Thanks 1

We have sent laundry out as late as with 3 days remaining on our cruise.  Turn around times tend to vary.  We have got it back in 24 hours and as long as 72 hours.   The earliest I would send out laundry would be the morning after the ship departs.  

• Thanks 1

We have organised many trips similar to you with land stays before and after. I think you are missing an easy solution…

Look at laundry options pre and post cruise. There is the obvious option of choosing a hotel with a laundry room or competitive pricing. However, why not look at self catering options with washer dryers?  Not just Airbnb, but apartments (often very competitively priced). We have often chosen these pre and post cruise. Not only have we enjoyed the additional space and the option to dine in we have boarded with all laundry clean and been able to disembark and throw our laundry in the washer on arrival at our accommodation. The mid week ‘all you can fit in a bag’ offer may then be all you need.

Just a thought…

• Like 1

We have sent laundry first day a few times and took 48 hours . Basic laundry is 2 day unless you pay  extra for the 24 hour service. Timing depends on how many Elite and up are on board getting their free laundry. Last cruise ours took 72 hours due to the high numbers using the service

• Thanks 1

On my last cruise last month, I was able to use the prepaid laundry bags at my discretion.  48 hour turnaround.  We were traveling after disembarkation so sent the last two bags 3 days before disembarkation.  Your stateroom  attendant will coordinate last call for laundry. As I was not sure how they did laundry I did separate colors.  Two bags were used for light/whites, and one for dark clothes.  We found they did a very nice job.  

Another Silversea plug:  anything we turned in by 9am would usually have been delivered while we were at dinner. 

Agree re pre-cruise.  We have our favorite hotels, laundromats and wash-and-folds in a number of foreign ports.  We tend to arrive several days early for foreign port cruises, and while we don't pay for laundry aboard ship, it seems a bit unfair to dump 5-6 days of laundry on the ship on day 1, and if we did, sometimes items would start to run a bit thin 48 hours later! 

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Another Silversea plug:  anything we turned in by 9am would usually have been delivered while we were at dinner. 

Agree re pre-cruise.  We have our favorite hotels, laundromats and wash-and-folds in a number of foreign ports.  We tend to arrive several days early for foreign port cruises, and while we don't pay for laundry aboard ship, it seems a bit unfair to dump 5-6 days of laundry on the ship on day 1, and if we did, sometimes items would start to run a bit thin 48 hours later! 

So glad you are world travelers & have favorite laundromats in different ports!  We are just starting our world travels so aren’t that fortunate.  Just trying to get a question answered & be considerate of the ships limitations. Being condescending isn’t helpful

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, pugrads said:

So glad you are world travelers & have favorite laundromats in different ports!  We are just starting our world travels so aren’t that fortunate.  Just trying to get a question answered & be considerate of the ships limitations. Being condescending isn’t helpful

No intent to he condescending.  Once you get rolling on your adventures, you'll no doubt find your own favorite ways to deal with the early arrivals laundry issues shoreside that will help to uncomplicate or reduce the costs aboard. 

If your Spain start is in Barcelona, we have a couple we can recommend depending upon what part of town your lodgings are in.  Since we'll be down in the Gothic Quarter this next time, we'll be using the Lavaxpres nearest our hotel.  It's too small to have its own guest laundry.

Edited by canderson