Viking Sea West Indies Explorer cruise Oct 29-Nov 10, 2025 has been cancelled

Azulann

57 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

She’s definitely headed to Australia this fall.  I’m booked on the Singapore to Bali and Beyond (was Bangkok to Bali) on November 25 and Komodo and the Australian Coast on December 7. Not sure how she’s getting to Singapore.

We will be on the Venus in a couple of weeks. I will ask some crew members and see if they know anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wine-wine-wine said:

Transatlantic cruises are my idea of heaven. 

I agree, but how often do you read people complaining about sea days.  I love sea days.

• Like 4

On 7/14/2024 at 7:08 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

We will be on the Venus in a couple of weeks. I will ask some crew members and see if they know anything.

Im on Venus now.

Have been told by staff who should know that she goes to Australia in December.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Planning to cruise said:

Im on Venus now.

Have been told by staff who should know that she goes to Australia in December.  

Big question is the route they are taking to get there. Are they sailing with no passengers?

• Like 2

Just booked the Alaska & The Inside Passage on Viking Sea for May 31 - June 10, 2025 last week. Checked with my TA and Viking and both say no changes or cancellation. 🤞

4 hours ago, TJGNJ said:

Just booked the Alaska & The Inside Passage on Viking Sea for May 31 - June 10, 2025 last week. Checked with my TA and Viking and both say no changes or cancellation. 🤞

Good luck! Hoping nothing changes. I'll admit, I don't know, or follow, all the routes and paths of these ships. But it'll be interesting to see how the Sea goes from San Juan, the last cruise I can find for it, ending there in March 31, up to the Pacific NW. I'm assuming through the Panama Canal, but there aren't any cruises I can see that logically would fit with it going from San Juan to Alaska. So does it spend the month of April moving from the Caribbean to Pacific NW?

Goes from San Juan to LA, via the Panama Canal, then to Vancouver.  Panama Canal could be an issue according to more knowledgeable people on this site.

25 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

So does it spend the month of April moving from the Caribbean to Pacific NW?

Nope, that was the cruise we were on, Pacific Coast Explorer, April 17-25, LA to Vancouver.  Viking canceled it last week and said the ship was being re-deployed elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Nope, that was the cruise we were on, Pacific Coast Explorer, April 17-25, LA to Vancouver.  Viking canceled it last week and said the ship was being re-deployed elsewhere.  

Oh I know, that's what I'm saying, are they just going to spend the month moving the ship?? It's not being used to go on cruises, from what I can find. Is it ready to go into drydock? Is 5 weeks enough time for that? I truly don't know the amount of time a ship goes into drydock. I guess time will tell what happens. I'm still disappointed that our W. Indies was cancelled. I'm glad others have been able to change to other cruises. Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury to change to other dates. Plus I really wanted to go on a Viking cruise ship in the Caribbean. Oh well...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TJGNJ said:

Goes from San Juan to LA, via the Panama Canal, then to Vancouver.  Panama Canal could be an issue according to more knowledgeable people on this site.

Google Panama Canal drought

11 hours ago, TJGNJ said:

Are you on the Orion?  She continues to do Australia/NZ for their summer, re-positions in fall and spring, Alaska for its summer.  No worries about either of the canals but there are local political issues to watch.

On 7/11/2024 at 4:28 PM, Azulann said:

Got a email today from Viking .Due to  changes globally, The Viking Sea cruise I had booked for $25.00 with payment May 2025 is now cancelled.

Oh well, back to the  drawing board and now I can think about different Viking cruise for 2025. 

I've never experienced Viking canceling a cruise before. It is good to hear that they give you a lot of notice!

On 7/11/2024 at 4:49 PM, SantaFe1 said:

In my opinion, Viking makes a lot more money on European cruises and sells out the ships.  Not so much with the N. America cruises, so they reposition the ship.  Oddly, the next cruise I was planning to book was the West Indies cruise in March of 2026 over my birthday.  I guess that’s out?

March 2026 is available on their website. Looks promising for your birthday celebration!

Yes, we got ours back on Monday.  And now I have airline credits.  Just not the best, on Viking’s part.  Even nine months out, my TA and I have been jumping through hoops to salvage what we can of this trip.  

Looks like all the West Indies cruises from late March 2025 to early December 2025 have been cancelled.  Read the Ocean ships go to dry dock every 5 years.  Viking Sea will be10 years old in 2025.

E76AACC9-92E9-4BC1-9CD4-A7E66D5A883F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f1757aa6c3d93318e026472d2db86e1a.jpeg

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TJGNJ said:

Agreed, the cruises highlighted below for Viking Sea are no longer shown on the Viking website.  So about a month in drydock.

image.thumb.jpeg.f502b6df2da9cc63cbd8ceebec6682f6.jpeg

So somewhere between San Juan and Vancouver it will dry dock. 

Here is an old thread in the Carnival forum about where cruise chips dry dock.

If it’s Nassco San Diego, I’ll try and get a picture.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

The 5 year dry docks do not come as a surprise.  They are planned out and scheduled well in advance and mostly last a week or two unless something serious is uncovered.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2024 at 3:59 PM, stretchcruz said:

My Viking Sea May 17 2026 was canceled as well.

I am due to sail for 15 days beginning April 24 2025 on the Italy, the Adriatica and Greece trip and just yesterday I got a letter saying my ship was being replaced by the Viking Sea!  

1 hour ago, Shelley W said:

I am due to sail for 15 days beginning April 24 2025 on the Italy, the Adriatica and Greece trip and just yesterday I got a letter saying my ship was being replaced by the Viking Sea!  

Yep! Not surprised, I think it's about money, or demand for the Med. What was the ship you were supposed to be on?

4 hours ago, Shelley W said:

We've sailed on several Viking ships -- Viking Sea 3 times recently.  It's our favourite.  Most have the same layout, so I guess it's the happy crew that always makes us happy to sail on Viking Sea.  Enjoy!

• Like 1