Embarking With Mini-bottles of Jack Daniels

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 2:28 PM, DaKahuna said:

My DW is Japanese.  We were on Millennium in May for the 13-Day Best of Japan cruise.  When we did excursions she would tip both the driver and the tour guide.  

Where we did not tip was in restaurants, bars, convenience stores, etc.  While Japan does not have a tipping culture there are still places where it is acceptable if you choose to do it.  It is not as expected as it is in say the Caribbean, but it is still acceptable under certain circumstances. 

When we travel we have two rules we go by - always tip when warranted and always tip in cash.  You can never be wrong tipping with cash. 

Would you ever leave a tip in a Japanese airline lounge where food is served?  Or where you use a shower that has to be cleaned after?  Are you normally expected to bus your own tray or does someone clean up?

Should westerners bow at all in Japan to be polite or maybe just do a head nod?

Edited by zitsky

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

Would you ever leave a tip in a Japanese airline lounge where food is served?  Or where you use a shower that has to be cleaned after?

In Japan, no I would not tip under those circumstances unless my wife told me to do otherwise.  I follow her guidance in Japan. 

Are you normally expected to bus your own tray or does someone clean up?

Are we still in an airline lounge?  It's has been both.  I have taken my plate, tray, and or trash to where it goes and I have had staff come by and collect them.  

Should westerners bow at all in Japan to be polite or maybe just do a head nod?

It depends on the setting.  At formal affairs I bowed slightly with both hands at my side, not as deeply as the Japanese do but it was more than just a head nod.  Informally, I normally did not bow. 

I"m sure you might be able to slip one or two aboard but more than than the risks increase.   I've seen them confiscated and sent to the naughty room.

A more appropriate gift that Japanese enjoy is a small boxed sweet - Candy or Small Cookie.   I worked for a Japanese company and when I would have a visit by a co-worker they would bring me a small box of Kit-Kats (Wasabi, Green Tea) or other flavor.    Nothing big.  

Spending time in Japan -  it is in bad taste to hand a guide money - but if you put it in a really nice envelop they graciously accept .  You also present it with both hand on corners and a bow of the head. 

Something like this -

image.thumb.png.533018d421de0cacd9de89dc0a8c4d66.png

• Like 3

Fellow Nashville native. We are doing Millie next summer. I’m bringing several boxes of Goo Goo Clusters instead. They take up space on the way there that will be used for souvenirs on the way back. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 8:07 AM, Oviedo32765 said:

What if the tour guide/operator is a recovering gambler? A cash tip should be a hard NO as well.

What if the tour guide/operator is a diabetic? Chocolates/sweets ...

What if the tour guide/operator is ______________ ?

My brother is a recovering alcoholic, and I can assure you those analogies do not carry the same weight 😅