"Private Journeys" Question

Super27

So I'm familiar with Celebrity's Private Journeys option to basically set up your own shore experience. But on our November Beyond cruise, I'm seeing what appear to be pre-planned excursions labeled as a Private Journey. Does anyone know how these work and if they are different than the Small Group excursions (which I know are maximum 24 people)??? 

We do not do large group excursions (the "Destination Highlights" are out of the question for us), so my main concern is size of the group, not being crammed into vehicles with tons of people, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

image.thumb.png.47bb5cc36f92aba724b4f639598fde1f.png

I have a vision of being coached with others to a beach set up with usual beds and side tables and you simply being given a basket of cold (but warming rapidly) food and a glass of cheap fizz…

There is no mention of vehicle being used to transport you

Number of guests

Do you get unlimited wine or a glass? Bottle? Option for alternative 

Location, is the beach just for the tour guests or are you simply on a resort?

I think I would want all the above answering before even considering booking. To be honest it is so easy on St. Maarten to set up a beach break independently it may be a ‘private journey’ because no one opts into it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Super27 said:

So I'm familiar with Celebrity's Private Journeys option to basically set up your own shore experience. But on our November Beyond cruise, I'm seeing what appear to be pre-planned excursions labeled as a Private Journey. Does anyone know how these work and if they are different than the Small Group excursions (which I know are maximum 24 people)??? 

We do not do large group excursions (the "Destination Highlights" are out of the question for us), so my main concern is size of the group, not being crammed into vehicles with tons of people, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

image.thumb.png.47bb5cc36f92aba724b4f639598fde1f.png

We have tried Private Journeys.  Usually about 6 people so not as private as you might like?  We also never do large ship excursions or even small ones on a mini-bus since COVID.  Instead we have been using private tour guides - usually Tours By Locals.  You can set up whatever you want to do.  In most cases less expensive than Private Journeys.  Unless you have a lot of OBC to burn.

• Like 4

Granted, it's been 3 years since we've done this, but at that time, Private Journeys were just that.  They were never advertised with an itinerary.  Rather, they were whatever we and the P.J. shorex folks could cook up that was 'do-able' and fun for a particular destination, and included only members of our own party.  Seems they repurposed the name, or perhaps it's their IT crew at work again (sigh).

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, canderson said:

Might be worth a call to the "real" Private Journey desk to see what they have to say about the posting.  Last # I have is 844-571-7851.

Just want to confirm that the 844 number you provide is correct, M-F, 8:00 - 5:00.  And I agree that a phone call to them is the best suggestion as, unless things have changed, as you mention PJ is not advertised as, or usually tied directly to, any other tour.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

13 hours ago, chemmo said:

I have a vision of being coached with others to a beach set up with usual beds and side tables and you simply being given a basket of cold (but warming rapidly) food and a glass of cheap fizz…

There is no mention of vehicle being used to transport you

Number of guests

Do you get unlimited wine or a glass? Bottle? Option for alternative 

Location, is the beach just for the tour guests or are you simply on a resort?

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I think I need to call and ask some of those questions. 

16 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We have tried Private Journeys.  Usually about 6 people so not as private as you might like?  We also never do large ship excursions or even small ones on a mini-bus since COVID.  Instead we have been using private tour guides - usually Tours By Locals.  You can set up whatever you want to do.  In most cases less expensive than Private Journeys.  Unless you have a lot of OBC to burn.

TBL is also our choice. We choose a guide with a vehicle that holds 6 passengers and share with one other couple on the Roll Call - we like the space. Everything tailored to our specification.

Private Journeys are just a "middle man" and there have been posts on other threads where they have used TBL to provide the service. Book direct is our choice.